Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spanish_falcon

Sam Baker Released

278 posts in this topic

OH BUT SAM BAKER IS OUR STARTING RT and battling for the starting LG Spot!!

LOL SAID THE MARKS!!!

NEEEEWWWWWW DAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Mike Smith realizing his draft picks are ****

12825879.jpg

Dukeduke211 likes this

Baker is being cut for a lot of reasons, for sure. All we are left with is speculation, so here is mine. Quinn has to instill an attitude in this team, one that says those who cannot cut it will -be- cut. Baker is an easy let-go, having suffered two significant knee injuries, only playing up to his potential for one season...incidentally his contract year. I personally have a very low regard for players who only get it going when they are looking for their next contract. Pride and a desire to win take a backseat to that paycheck. In my opinion Baker was a player who wanted to get paid and then, having been paid, went back to being barely adequate. It ticks me off TD re-signed him, because we might....maybe?...could have gotten a good FA in here who could have helped this team win something. That is my beef with Baker and TD. Baker needed to go if only because his next injury would have stuck the Falcons with paying Baker his full contract for this year, meaning yet another FA Baker would have cost us.

I never looked at Baker as a player looking for a paycheck. He came in the league with back problems and when he got that fixed had his best season, the. The very next year his knee. I think he just had unfortunate circumstances that were untimely in relation to renewing his contract so it seems as if he was a player looking for a check. To me he was a hard worker that was clumsy and prone to getting hurt because of it. Spoon was another clumsy player that always got caught in awkward positions resulting in injury. I think it was just time to move on and quinn has no allegiance to him and he definitely doesn't know what he will be with so many surgeries that it had to be done.

OH BUT SAM BAKER IS OUR STARTING RT and battling for the starting LG Spot!!

LOL SAID THE MARKS!!!

NEEEEWWWWWW DAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Mike Smith realizing his draft picks are ****

12825879.jpg

let it ****ing go already. every other post is about smith. ffs, grow up and move on.

I'm confused, where in the world are these "sign Evan Mathis" responses coming from? It's just not a plausible move after signing Chester. Releasing Baker was going to happen regardless.

Mathis as well as Chester can play both OG spots as well as center.... Don't know how ready Hawly is but the depth on the line would be great.....

In Honor of Sam Baker. THANK YOU BAKER clap clap clap clap THANK YOU BAKER!!

Arthur Blank is FINALLY not giving FREE pay checks to the scrubs on this team. THANK YOU BAKER!

I hate to see a player's career shortened by injuries. Best wishes to Baker.

Flip side; glad to see the new staff making moves.

Injuries are unfortunate but they happen, especial;;y in a sport as violent and physical as football. Baker was just one those guys who could not stay healthy. I wish the guy good health going forward. Hopefully his injuries won't affect his life outside of football too much.

When Sam Baker was healthy & played 16 games the #Falcons won. 2010 & 2012 were his only 100% healthy seasons, Atlanta went 13-3 both years.

Knox Bardeen (@knoxbardeen) 2015-06-15T16:21:57Z

look at the numbers for the next threw years. Add them up and vs it by June 1 vs just a regular cut.

It's simple as this. By cutting him now his cap hit is 2.8 this year and 6.4 next year. Pre June first his cap hit would have been 9.2 this year and 0 next year. Looking at next year our projected cap room cutting him now is just over 36000000. Pre June 1st cut our projected cap room for next year would have been just over 42000000.

that is not the way the cap works Zinno - try again!

I have no idea where all this "three years" nonsense is coming from. The cap isn't new...

The FO had two choices: eat all of the money due to Baker on the 2015 cap ($2.8m+$2.8m+$2.8m+$800k = $9.2m) OR eat $2.8m and eat the rest ($6.4m) next year. We chose the second option.

capologist likes this

When Sam Baker was healthy & played 16 games the #Falcons won. 2010 & 2012 were his only 100% healthy seasons, Atlanta went 13-3 both years. Knox Bardeen (@knoxbardeen) 2015-06-15T16:21:57Z

People will still say he was terrible even when healthy

It's simple as this. By cutting him now his cap hit is 2.8 this year and 6.4 next year. Pre June first his cap hit would have been 9.2 this year and 0 next year. Looking at next year our projected cap room cutting him now is just over 36000000. Pre June 1st cut our projected cap room for next year would have been just over 42000000.

I don't think you're factoring cap rollover into it. If we had taken the additional $6.4 million cap hit this year, that's $6.4 million less that we can rollover to next year. It has the same 2 year impact dollar-wise either way.

Baker is being cut for a lot of reasons, for sure. All we are left with is speculation, so here is mine. Quinn has to instill an attitude in this team, one that says those who cannot cut it will -be- cut. Baker is an easy let-go, having suffered two significant knee injuries, only playing up to his potential for one season...incidentally his contract year. I personally have a very low regard for players who only get it going when they are looking for their next contract. Pride and a desire to win take a backseat to that paycheck. In my opinion Baker was a player who wanted to get paid and then, having been paid, went back to being barely adequate. It ticks me off TD re-signed him, because we might....maybe?...could have gotten a good FA in here who could have helped this team win something. That is my beef with Baker and TD. Baker needed to go if only because his next injury would have stuck the Falcons with paying Baker his full contract for this year, meaning yet another FA Baker would have cost us.

While obviously TD has had good and bad moments in his 8 year tenure - the single worse decision - BY FAR - was doubling-down on Sam Baker. While defenders will say "TD had to do it to protect Matt" - which was the same reasoning for moving up to draft him in the first place - the verdict was in after the first 4 years of Sam's career - he was a below average run blocker and average pass blocker - who could not stay healthy. And "yes" there was another option in free agency (Jermon Bushrod) and probably others. Giving Sam Baker another $41mm contract was a heinous move.

Its a violent sport. And every player has a short shelf life. Sam was broken in college. He made a nice living and got to play pro football. Good luck to him.

Its a new day in Atlanta. The metamorphosis is taking hold.

While obviously TD has had good and bad moments in his 8 year tenure - the single worse decision - BY FAR - was doubling-down on Sam Baker. While defenders will say "TD had to do it to protect Matt" - which was the same reasoning for moving up to draft him in the first place - the verdict was in after the first 4 years of Sam's career - he was a below average run blocker and average pass blocker - who could not stay healthy. And "yes" there was another option in free agency (Jermon Bushrod) and probably others. Giving Sam Baker another $41mm contract was a heinous move.

Bushrod is just as bad.

Baker was better than average when healthy. His problem was that he was very poor when playing hurt and he was hurt frequently. I think the big numbers of the contract are fine....he was paid as a middle of the road tackle, which is what he was. The guaranteed money and the structure of the deal were absolutely atrocious.

All of Baker's guaranteed money has been paid. The total remaining dead money on Baker's contract is $9.2 million, with $2.8 million designated for 2015. I think Atlanta has the choice of taking all the $9.2m dead money cap hit this year, OR taking only $2.8m this year and the remaining $6.4 million in 2016. Had the Falcons kept Baker for this season, his cap hit would have been $7.3 million for 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/sam-baker/

Evidently, Atlanta elected to take the $2.8 million dead money option for 2015. That saved the Falcons $4.5 million ($7.3 million - $2.8 million dead money charge for 2015) against the cap for 2015. However, Atlanta will have a $6.4 million dead money cap hit for Baker in 2016. From a Vaughn McClure article:

Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer

The Atlanta Falcons released often-injured offensive tackle Sam Baker on Monday.

Baker, a former first-round draft pick out of USC in 2008, missed all of last season after suffering a knee injury in the preseason. Baker had yet to return to the practice field from the injury prior to his release.

Baker, who also played in just four games during the 2013 season due to a knee injury, would have counted $7.3 million against the cap in 2015. His release provides a cap savings of $4.5 million this season.

Baker signed a six-year deal in March of 2013 worth $41.1 million that included a $10 million signing bonus."

you are looking at two years. Not the three years