Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spanish_falcon

Sam Baker Released

278 posts in this topic

Surprised by this, but that doesn't mean I don't think it is the right move. Baker isn't the answer, so I'm glad that Jake is going to get given the start at LT.

Don't dislike the guy, but he got a lot of money from us and, at aged 30, has had one good season.

OK figured it out...... Over three years our cap grows 2.5 million more to spend. But this year we take more of a hit. Vs June first cut we lose 2.5 over three years but could have gained a little this year to spend.

Td made the right call. And cutting after camp makes it possible for him to actually get more. So he had to be cut now or play the guy.

So they waited to probably see how Matthews looked when he returned.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons

we're gonna have a good chunk of dead money next year if we want to get rid of Soliai and Jackson too.

A chunk, yes, but we'd actually save cap room cutting them next year...

we're gonna have a good chunk of dead money next year if we want to get rid of Soliai and Jackson too.

they ain't going no where. Quit thinking more money is the answer to our problems. SMH

About Damm time we cut Samantha. But in serious, I appreciate all the effort and hardwork from him. Its time to move on. Kroy Biermann is next, it's just a matter of time.

Flying Falcon likes this

They probably didn't want risking him getting injured walking thru the front door at Flowery Branch between now and June 1. LOL

could be very true. And goes along with my point.......

OK figured it out...... Over three years our cap grows 2.5 million more to spend. But this year we take more of a hit. Vs June first cut we lose 2.5 over three years but could have gained a little this year to spend.

Td made the right call. And cutting after camp makes it possible for him to actually get more. So he had to be cut now or play the guy.

So they waited to probably see how Matthews looked when he returned.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons

Should have cut him pre June 1st. We have enough money to sign anyone we wanted for this year even with his added cap hit.

no, we would have lost 2.5 over the course of three years. A June first cut only helps if you need the money now (like title max ;) )

they ain't going no where. Quit thinking more money is the answer to our problems. SMH

I really doubt that Soliai and Jackson finish their contract in Atlanta. They're just not good fits.

"@vxmcclure23: A 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 first-round pick all gone from the Falcons now with Sam Baker, Sean Weatherspoon, Peria Jerry, Jamaal Anderson."

"@vxmcclure23: A 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 first-round pick all gone from the Falcons now with Sam Baker, Sean Weatherspoon, Peria Jerry, Jamaal Anderson."

Dang. That's turrible.

However, Ryan was our 1st rounder in 2007. Baker was a late 1st round trade up. So it's not as bad as they're making it out to be.

Baker is being cut for a lot of reasons, for sure. All we are left with is speculation, so here is mine. Quinn has to instill an attitude in this team, one that says those who cannot cut it will -be- cut. Baker is an easy let-go, having suffered two significant knee injuries, only playing up to his potential for one season...incidentally his contract year. I personally have a very low regard for players who only get it going when they are looking for their next contract. Pride and a desire to win take a backseat to that paycheck. In my opinion Baker was a player who wanted to get paid and then, having been paid, went back to being barely adequate. It ticks me off TD re-signed him, because we might....maybe?...could have gotten a good FA in here who could have helped this team win something. That is my beef with Baker and TD. Baker needed to go if only because his next injury would have stuck the Falcons with paying Baker his full contract for this year, meaning yet another FA Baker would have cost us.