Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spanish_falcon

Sam Baker Released

278 posts in this topic

I have no problem with Sam Baker. My problem was with TD showering the guy with cash and a long-term deal when he 1.) Couldn't stay on the field because he was always hurt, and 2.) Wasn't anywhere close to being pro bowl caliber when he was healthy. I wish Baker well, and I wish TD were somewhere far, far away from this team.

He wasn't paid at a pro bowl caliber level....he was like the 17th highest paid T in the league.

The problem with that deal was 100% structure. The compensation was fine. The nature of that compensation was not fine.

PK Manley likes this

whats the hit now ?? like 2.7 something post june, i dont remember

All of Baker's guaranteed money has been paid. The total remaining dead money on Baker's contract is $9.2 million, with $2.8 million designated for 2015. I think Atlanta has the choice of taking all the $9.2m dead money cap hit this year, OR taking only $2.8m this year and the remaining $6.4 million in 2016. Had the Falcons kept Baker for this season, his cap hit would have been $7.3 million for 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/sam-baker/

All of Baker's guaranteed money has been paid. The total remaining dead money on Baker's contract is $9.2 million, with $2.8 million designated for 2015. . I think Atlanta has the choice of taking all the $9.2m dead money cap hit this year, OR taking only $2.8m this year and the remaining $6.4 million in 2016. Had the Falcons kept Baker for the 2015 season, his cap hit would have been $7.3 million for 2015.

Oh lawd didn't realize we still had 9m+ in dead money

I wish him well. I have never had a problem with Sam Baker. I think that he played with injuries and gave us his level best.

My problem has been with Dimitroff. That fool awarded Baker a brand new contract, despite a track record of multiple injuries.

TD should be the guy catching all the flak.

zekeyboy1, papachaz and Troyces like this

He wasn't paid at a pro bowl caliber level....he was like the 17th highest paid T in the league.

The problem with that deal was 100% structure. The compensation was fine. The nature of that compensation was not fine.

Isn't Dimitroff/Blank tight with Bakers family?

FenixFalcon likes this

All of Baker's guaranteed money has been paid. The total remaining dead money on Baker's contract is $9.2 million, with $2.8 million designated for 2015. I think Atlanta has the choice of taking all the $9.2m dead money cap hit this year, OR taking only $2.8m this year and the remaining $6.4 million in 2016. Had the Falcons kept Baker for the 2015 season, his cap hit would have been $7.3 million for 2015.

Yep. Presumably they'll eat the $6.4m next year. Given how the roll-over works, it's not really a big deal either way. Money all comes out of the same pot.

Isn't Dimitroff/Blank tight with Bakers family?

Yep. AB and his dad are alleged good friends and have known each other for years.

On 2nd thought probably should've kept him as insurance. Jake is gonna struggle tho year and Holmes is garbage were about to have a revolving door at the LT position.

Oh lawd didn't realize we still had 9m+ in dead money

Like I said, bad structure. I mean, when you sign that deal, you assume you're purchasing security in the long term. So it makes sense to push the money the way they did. And I guess to their credit, Baker had played the bulk of 3 of the prior 4 seasons. But given his constant presence on the injury report, the FO absolutely should have been considering how they could structure the deal to avoid being locked in with a big hit. The better option would have been to front load the contract by guaranteeing a decent Y1 salary and trying to minimize the signing bonus. But that's more of a "last few years" cap strategy. When Baker signed his deal, the standard practice was to eat a low cap hit in Y1 and push the money into the future.

For what it's worth, this was posted on The Falcoholic earlier this year:

"By using the June 1st designation, only 2.8M of the bonus would hit this year, netting a 4.5M savings against the 2015 cap. That would also mean that Baker would account for 6.4M of dead money in 2016 as well."

If I understand June 1st cuts correctly, this seems right.

Yeah, this is what I saw....

Baker, 30, still had another four years remaining on his six-year, $41.1 million contract that included $14.25 million guaranteed. He would have made base salaries of $4.5 million (2015), $5.25 million (2016), $6.5 million (2017), and $6.6 million (2018) over the remainder of the contract.

According to OverTheCap.com, releasing Baker will free up $4.5 million in available cap space while creating $2.8 million in dead money.

For what it's worth, this was posted on The Falcoholic earlier this year:

"By using the June 1st designation, only 2.8M of the bonus would hit this year, netting a 4.5M savings against the 2015 cap. That would also mean that Baker would account for 6.4M of dead money in 2016 as well."

If I understand June 1st cuts correctly, this seems right.

It ends up being six of one, a half dozen of the other. You either eat the extra $1.9m this year (outright cut) or next year ($6.4m - the $4.5m created in cap space that will roll over)

It does free up some immediate flexibility though.

Baker must have shown he would not be ready for TC...... Bring on Mathis TD.........

You can't make the club in the tub....now that Smitty's gone.

Wish him the best elsewhere & glad he's now off the roster.

His "on the field production" won't be missed.

Falcons released T Sam Baker.
A team with major questions along their shaky offensive line is moving on from a guy who started 61 games for them over the last seven seasons. It suggests Baker's rehab off last August's torn patellar tendon has been as difficult as expected. Baker is just 30 years old, but is going to have to prove his health before getting another shot.
He's started just four games over the last two years. Jun 15 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, this is what I saw....

Baker, 30, still had another four years remaining on his six-year, $41.1 million contract that included $14.25 million guaranteed. He would have made base salaries of $4.5 million (2015), $5.25 million (2016), $6.5 million (2017), and $6.6 million (2018) over the remainder of the contract.

According to OverTheCap.com, releasing Baker will free up $4.5 million in available cap space while creating $2.8 million in dead money.

That's correct and the other number is $6.4 million in dead space next year BUT his base of $5,250,000 also comes off the books so it's a net loss of $1,150,000 next season. Like I said previously, this was a good time to pull the trigger on this one IMO...