Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spanish_falcon

Sam Baker Released

278 posts in this topic

Why cut him now and not June first.... Cutting him now was pointless because we could have paid him the same.

Or am I missing something.

Isnt today June 15? Isn't the 15th after the 1st?

@MarkZinno: The #Falcons cutting Baker will cost them $2.8mil against the cap the next 3 years ('15-'17) and $800,000 against the cap in 2018.

@MarkZinno: The #Falcons cutting Baker will cost them $2.8mil against the cap the next 3 years ('15-'17) and $800,000 against the cap in 2018.

That doesn't sound right. I thought it was $2.8m this year and almost $7m next year.

hjerry likes this

He hasn't been on the field. If he can't practice, he can't play.

Bad deal for him, but he's gotten paid a lot of money to be hurt. I hope he has a full recovery and wish him the best.

Absolutely. Clearly that injury is far worse than will heal appropriately for him to play. Good luck Sam.

JDaveG likes this

Yeah no reason to bash the guy, he wasn't in control of his injuries and when he was 100% he played pretty well. Not great but better than the average Falcon Olineman.

I have no problem with Sam Baker. My problem was with TD showering the guy with cash and a long-term deal when he 1.) Couldn't stay on the field because he was always hurt, and 2.) Wasn't anywhere close to being pro bowl caliber when he was healthy. I wish Baker well, and I wish TD were somewhere far, far away from this team.

Quinn putting his stamp on the team fosho. I think between Shredder and Puddin they felt like the position was good enough to let em go

Why cut him now and not June first.... Cutting him now was pointless because we could have paid him the same.

After June 1st is the same. It was May 12 or something like that, not 6/1 this year. It was said before, they are not going to keep guys that won't work in this system no matter what that costs.

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

no thats wrong - cap hit will save 1.7 this year but have a 3. mil save 6.4 hit next year and 3 mil hit in 2017.

They probably didn't want risking him getting injured walking thru the front door at Flowery Branch between now and June 1. LOL

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

This from Dave Choate:

The Falcons are in a position to take the dead money hit—Spotrac has it at $9.2 million for this year, but they're not going to assume all of that right now—and this will undoubtedly lead to speculation about the team signing Evan Mathis to lock down left guard. I'm not sure we'll see that, but there will be a move in the offing to get the Falcons back up to 90 guys. This was, unfortunately, a pretty awful contract for Atlanta.

I wonder if his rehab was going worse than we hoped. This seems like an odd time to cut him.

My guess is they were very patient with his rehab, but saw no improvement. Maybe they even got some bad news today.

Either that or they simply think they can sign Evans and get a huge upgrade.

Really doubt we'll be signing Mathis. FO gave Person a 3 year contract prepared to go into the season with him (or stone) starting after competing against guys like Konz in TC. Then Chester hit the market and we gave him a 1 yr/ 3mil deal to lock up the other guard spot til we can sort it out next year

We've been getting younger and choosing our contracts very specifically, don't see us changing that for a 33 year old guard who wants big money. Stone also provides quality interior depth

I'm pretty sure it saves $4.5 million this year, but pushes $6.4 million in dead money into next year. Though, the $6.4 million in dead money is the same as if we cut him after the season.

Really doubt we'll be signing Mathis. FO gave Person a 3 year contract prepared to go into the season with him (or stone) starting after competing against guys like Konz in TC. Then Chester hit the market and we gave him a 1 yr/ 3mil deal to lock up the other guard spot til we can sort it out next year

We've been getting younger and choosing our contracts very specifically, don't see us changing that for a 33 year old guard who wants big money. Stone also provides quality interior depth

Never know.

My guess is they were very patient with his rehab, but saw no improvement. Maybe they even got some bad news today.

Either that or they simply think they can sign Evans and get a huge upgrade.

I believe they had to wait til he's cleared to practice before they can cut him

Never know.

Yep it could happen

JDaveG likes this