Youtube Has A 8K Video Up. Can You Watch It, In All Its 8K Glory?

Trouble

The equipment to shoot it might not exactly be widespread, and the displays needed to view it at home are even less so, but 8K video has made its way to YouTube. It's a feature the outfit announced way back in 2010, but only just recently did a clip surface that actually uses all of those lines of resolution. The clip's called Ghost Towns and it's a slow-panning journey through what looks like a recently abandoned mining settlement. Mountain View told 9to5Google that the 8K label was added earlier this year, but 4320p footage has only appeared pretty recently. The video description notes that Ghost Towns was shot using a RED Epic Dragon 6K camera in portrait orientation and to hit the higher resolution, some of the footage was upscaled or stitched together with Adobe's After Effects suite.

Very few of us will be able to watch this on our everyday machines thanks to the sheer amount of system resources it takes to handle a video of this magnitude, but those who can should be happy to know it apparently runs in Chrome and Safari. Of course, you can peep it in lesser resolutions below as well.

I don't think my brain has the ability to process anything above 1080p. The floor manager at Best Buy was hard-selling the **** out of me on a 4K TV a few weeks ago and it was sitting next to a regular plasma TV and there was no difference to me at all except the price tag.

Nothing is really being broadcast or made in 4 yet. 4k could be the next fad like smart TV`s. Since they are already looking at 8k and up. 4k could pass us by just as fast as it arrived.

No iphone is gonna be able to view that video in 8k. You need a pc and switch to highest resolution. It crashed my pc just trying.

I don't think my brain has the ability to process anything above 1080p. The floor manager at Best Buy was hard-selling the **** out of me on a 4K TV a few weeks ago and it was sitting next to a regular plasma TV and there was no difference to me at all except the price tag.

Yeah it didn't look any different in the store because it wasn't showing actual 4K content on that TV.

Nothing is really being broadcast or made in 4 yet. 4k could be the next fad like smart TV`s. Since they are already looking at 8k and up. 4k could pass us by just as fast as it arrived.

No iphone is gonna be able to view that video in 8k. You need a pc and switch to highest resolution. It crashed my pc just trying.

It would not matter if you had a PC or not, because your device could not support the full resolution. 4K is coming down in price **** fast. I remember hearing from CES that the reason they are pushing 4K so much is because people are willing to pay a premium on it, but the price to produce is actually very close to 1080p. 8K is still very expensive to produce panels for and the equipment to shoot 8K is very expensive. 4K is probably going to last longer than people think.

It would not matter if you had a PC or not, because your device could not support the full resolution. 4K is coming down in price **** fast. I remember hearing from CES that the reason they are pushing 4K so much is because people are willing to pay a premium on it, but the price to produce is actually very close to 1080p. 8K is still very expensive to produce panels for and the equipment to shoot 8K is very expensive. 4K is probably going to last longer than people think.

I was waiting to see you weigh in lol

it looks pretty amazing on my LG G4, but that is just Quad HD. I would love to see actual 8k video

A while back I got high and went to the mall and spent like 20 minutes standing in front of a new Samsung in Sears watching this one 5 minute 4K clip of mountain goats frolicking in the Swiss Alps.

It was spectacular. 64qanc.gif

I'm just waiting until DirecTV starts broadcasting in 4K before I replace my LED.

A while back I got high and went to the mall and spent like 20 minutes standing in front of a new Samsung in Sears watching this one 5 minute 4K clip of mountain goats frolicking in the Swiss Alps.

It was spectacular. 64qanc.gif

I'm just waiting until DirecTV starts broadcasting in 4K before I replace my LED.

They are running commercials right now saying they are broadcasting in 4K. They are using a fine *** girl and a white horse that talks to make the point.

Don't think 4K or 8K is worth the cost. I'd pay a tiny bit more but not much. Reason:

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

It definitely wont be until the content starts being shot and pushed in 4K and even then I do not think it will matter in the majority of cases, but that is not stopping the manufacturers. They see pushing 4K as a way to make more money. When 4K costs the same as 1080p to produce, they will probably start phasing out 1080p and making 4K the only option. Even though most people have 1080p monitors/Tv that are perfectly fine, they will try and push that it is outdated and people should replace all their TVs with new 4K tvs.

Most of the reviews I have seen for 4K monitors have stated that 4K is overrated and that they would stick with their dual 1440p monitors or switch to an ultra-wide monitor.

They are running commercials right now saying they are broadcasting in 4K. They are using a fine *** girl and a white horse that talks to make the point.

I thought the 4K DirecTV is offering is just for Video on Demand service. I want to be able to watch sporting events and my one hour cable dramas in 4K.

I don't usually pay much attention to commercials, if I even watch them at all, but I know the ones you're talking about with Hannah Davis and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords as the talking horse. She's dating Derek Jeter. It's an amazing life that he and his dong have led.

I thought the 4K DirecTV is offering is just for Video on Demand service. I want to be able to watch sporting events and my one hour cable dramas in 4K.

I don't usually pay much attention to commercials, if I even watch them at all, but I know the ones you're talking about with Hannah Davis and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords as the talking horse. She's dating Derek Jeter. It's an amazing life that he and his dong have led.

Ah, you may be right man it may be VOD they are talking about. Yea, Derek Jeter has led the life!

I was waiting to see you weigh in lol

it looks pretty amazing on my LG G4, but that is just Quad HD. I would love to see actual 8k video

That a whole different debate my freind. Phones. This year has absolute sucked for them. The panel resolution is screwed when you limit the cpu to conserve battery. The 810 chip set is flawed. I was rooting for it. But it has flopped.

very true, trying to upscale it though can be done. If your video card can upscale. So while you wont have native true 8k resolution you get a "fitted" version. Thats what really the test is. It locked me up trying to switch to that resolution. I had to crash FF just to exit it. It might have stuttered but it was eating system resources to the point of a stress test.