Tuesday The 9Th Ota Thread

JRid

http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2015/06/09/5-quick-takes-from-otas-matthews-back-from-injury/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_falcons_sfp

D. Orlando Ledbetter

5 quick takes from OTAs: Matthews back from injury

June 9, 2015 | Filed in: Uncategorized.

Comments 0

FLOWERY BRANCH The Falcons welcomed several veterans and second-round pick Jalen Collins back from injury during their open OTA noncontact practice on Tuesday.

Safety William Moore (shoulder), linebacker Brooks Reed (hamstring), center/guard Joe Hawley (knee), tackle Jake Matthews (foot), cornerback Jalen Collins (foot) and guard/center Peter Konz (knee) all took part in the practice.

Linebacker Marquis Spruill, whos coming back from knee surgery, did not practice. Guard/tackle Sam Baker (knee) and cornerback Dezmen Southward (knee) were not at practice.

Here are five other observations from the practice:

1. Allen at safety. Ricardo Allen spent time with the first-team defense at free safety. He played alongside Charles Godfrey and Kemal Ishmael, who were rotating at strong safety. Moore went through drills, but mostly observed during 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 sessions.

2. Matthews moving well. Left tackle Jake Matthews was moving well during the drills. He was lined up as the second left tackle behind Lamar Holmes.

3. Hawley time. Hawley worked as the third team center behind James Stone and Valerian Ume-Ezeoke. He was moving well, but was clearly adjusting to the pace of practice.

4. No drones. The Falcons did not have any drones flying above the practice field yet.

5. Floyd drop. Safety Terrell Floyd dropped an interception in the flat. He had a clear path to the endzone.

Edited by JRid

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

D. Orlando Ledbetter ‏@DOrlandoAJC 29m29 minutes ago

#Falcons first-round pick Vic Beasley just told me his contract will be done soon.

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23 23m23 minutes ago Georgia, USA

Falcons defensive coordinator Richard Smith said Vic Beasley has that elite quickness like Von Miller

26 retweets 19 favorites

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23 41m41 minutes ago Georgia, USA

Jake Matthews (foot), Hawley (ACL), Willy Mo (shoulder), Collins (foot), Reed (groin) back at practice in some capacity. Beasley limited.

D. Orlando Ledbetter ‏@DOrlandoAJC 29m29 minutes ago

#Falcons first-round pick Vic Beasley just told me his contract will be done soon.

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23 23m23 minutes ago Georgia, USA

Falcons defensive coordinator Richard Smith said Vic Beasley has that elite quickness like Von Miller

26 retweets 19 favorites

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23 41m41 minutes ago Georgia, USA

Jake Matthews (foot), Hawley (ACL), Willy Mo (shoulder), Collins (foot), Reed (groin) back at practice in some capacity. Beasley limited.

Like all of that except Beasley limited.

Like all of that except Beasley limited.

D. Orlando Ledbetter ‏@DOrlandoAJC 39s39 seconds ago

#Falcons coach Dan Quinn held rookie first-round pick OLB Vic Beasley (strained shoulder) out of some drills today.

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23 3m3 minutes ago

Jon Asamoah was inside recovering from an ankle injury

1 retweet 1 favorite

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23 3m3 minutes ago

Quinn said Leonard Hankerson has really jumped out. So has Ricardo Allen at safety, he said

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23 2m2 minutes ago

Ricardo Allen got a lot of first-team reps today alongside strong safety Kemal Ishmael. Charles Godfrey was with second team at FS

Jeanna ‏@jeannathomas 1h1 hour ago

Tru says the emphases are not allowing explosive plays and attacking the ball.

Trufant says he's working on his leadership, bringing the position group together.

Trufant says the new culture is all about attacking the ball.

On Collins, Tru says he's tall and long.

I'll have some good stuff from Hester on @TheFalcoholic later.

Jeanna ‏@jeannathomas 57m57 minutes ago

Raheem Morris is every bit as energetic as Dan Quinn. I love it.

Jeanna ‏@jeannathomas 54m54 minutes ago

Raheem uses the word "elite" to describe Tru, compliments his intelligence.

Jeanna ‏@jeannathomas 28m28 minutes ago

On Richard Smith, DQ emphasizes not just his experience but the versatility of that experience.

Jeanna ‏@jeannathomas 26m26 minutes ago

Quinn says the biggest thing that stands out about Tru/Alford is competitive nature.

Andrew Hirsh ‏@andrewhirsh 3m3 minutes ago

The #Falcons defense will usually have three defensive backs playing deep. Raheem Morris called that setup the "Atlanta 3."

c705222874c6ddad097eb2f3e790261e_bigger.vaughn mcclure@vxmcclure23 42s43 seconds ago

Tony Moeaki got his share of first-team reps at tight end today for the Falcons.

He definitely has great potential. I wonder if we will keep 3 TEs on the roster. It's not like we can keep 2 and put one on the practice squad because none of them are eligible. Right now it seems Toilolo is 3rd on the list and I'd hate to see him go because I think eventually he can be pretty good. Getting down to 53 this season will be the toughest one I've seen in a long time.

He definitely has great potential. I wonder if we will keep 3 TEs on the roster. It's not like we can keep 2 and put one on the practice squad because none of them are eligible. Right now it seems Toilolo is 3rd on the list and I'd hate to see him go because I think eventually he can be pretty good. Getting down to 53 this season will be the toughest one I've seen in a long time.

I make no predictions on the 53, just like I made no predictions (post Quinn) on FA or the draft. Predicting such, this year, is a waste of time. We have no idea what Quinn wants, and who he'd be willing to move on from.

Shanahan mentioned something about running 3 TE sets so he might keep them all.