Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Scott Pioli Named Most Influential Falcon, But Just How Influential Is He?

499 posts in this topic

Why can't we just say he's been bad since two or three years ago?

Ok he's been bad the past 2-3 yrs.....but we did not have a defense since he got here. So it's NOT all about coaching ......its get me somebody that can play

Yeah Yeah I defend smitty so lets get this out of the way now. However you guys can't blame Smitty for Making these draft picks and then contradict yourself and say well TD has good draft picks as well. I personally don't care which way you slant it but you can't have it both ways when it is convient.

Jben--- well said my friend

To me Dimi is the obvious culprit. He inherited a decent OLine and front seven from Reeves and McKay. Plus a few good skill players. Smitty went 56-24 with that foundation. Dimi totally fkd it up. When it was replaced with his acquisitions we went 10-22. Buddy got a head coach, two OCs, two DCs and a shtload of position coaches fired. Only got relieved of some of his duties. Should have been fired.

But they'll never understand what you're saying because they don't want to......you got it right on

If you don't think GMs are listening to their HCs, you're huffing gas. TD wanted a passrusher in 2014, tried to move up for Dee Ford. Couldn't find a partner. Nolan and Smitty wanted more power in the middle. So TD got them Hageman, because their DL coach vouched for him. They then barely played him. When he did play, he made plays.

Who's fault is it? TD got them the player they wanted, they didn't use him.

I'm not saying TD doesn't deserve blame for our issues, but the hate around here is idiotic. Smith was a bigger liability.

What difference does it make 8 yrs later and defense flat out sucks....so who to blame

What difference does it make 8 yrs later and defense flat out sucks....so who to blame

Doesn't look too bad right now. Are you going to blame TD if we have a great D this season?

Tuggle'2 and gazoo like this

Doesn't look too bad right now. Are you going to blame TD if we have a great D this season?

No......I'm going to commend Scott Pioli

Alright. Honestly? So your reasoning for everything being TDs fault is that smith regularly fielded terrible defenses despite being a defensive minded coach?

You do realize that the one thing that has been stated over and over again is that TD takes everybody's opinion into consideration right?

He is great at working with others. Which is why bringing pioli in was excellent. TD might be the only gm in the NFL that could bring in someone like piolo and make it work. Seems like Quinn is fitting right in with them.

The only one I'm worried about now is shanahan

Smitty had a #5, #5, #11, #14 and #18 defense in his first five seasons, with primarily McKay players he inherited. When the roster shifted to Dimi's players in his last two seasons, he had #27 and #27 defenses.

Vandy likes this

If what the author said about Blank is factual...Pioli is just not a public relations guy.

TD is undoubtedly a puppet, regardless of who the most influential is...Quinn/Blank/Pioli.

That's how I interpret the article.

How many Jags were signed?

Two or three role players who played well by the way. You think Smitty preferred Julio over say a Justin Houston. Let's say you Dimi apologists are right and Smitty made the majority of the acquisitions. Then Dimi should have been fired for being a wet noodle and getting puppeted into the dumpster fire that was our roster the last two seasons. He's a suck as GM son and you know it. By the way, we probably had as many or more KC, CAR and CHI players as JAX players. Good try though.

eastside_bird likes this

If you don't think GMs are listening to their HCs, you're huffing gas. TD wanted a passrusher in 2014, tried to move up for Dee Ford. Couldn't find a partner. Nolan and Smitty wanted more power in the middle. So TD got them Hageman, because their DL coach vouched for him. They then barely played him. When he did play, he made plays.

Who's fault is it? TD got them the player they wanted, they didn't use him.

I'm not saying TD doesn't deserve blame for our issues, but the hate around here is idiotic. Smith was a bigger liability.

Hageman's position coach didn't play him earlier because he sucked monkey balls and was nowhere near ready.

Vandy likes this

"I think it's working great," Blank told ESPN. "There is tremendous respect both ways. They're working off each other; playing off each other's strengths. They're both good listeners to each other and to others. And I think the dynamic has worked out as well as anybody could have possibly thought." - Arthur Blank when asked about TD and DQ.

As much as folks obsess over TD, he is not going anywhere. The boss is happy.

gazoo likes this

If what the author said about Blank is factual...Pioli is just not a public relations guy.

TD is undoubtedly a puppet, regardless of who the most influential is...Quinn/Blank/Pioli.

That's how I interpret the article.

Of course that's how you interpret it.

Lornoth likes this

The boss is not happy, which is why he reshuffled the feathers after 10-22.

More heads will fall if we don't have a turnaround season....which I believe we will win 9-10 games if healthy.

eastside_bird likes this

Hageman's position coach didn't play him earlier because he sucked monkey balls and was nowhere near ready.

If he wasn't ready, then why did the coaches want him so bad? We spent a 2nd round pick on a guy who wasn't ready? If there has ever been a pick that was a coach influenced pick, it was Hageman.

You made my point for me.

If he wasn't ready, then why did the coaches want him so bad? We spent a 2nd round pick on a guy who wasn't ready? If there has ever been a pick that was a coach influenced pick, it was Hageman.

You made my point for me.

Hageman' a bad example. Everyone knew he was a project, to throw him out there sooner could have destroyed him. Falcons seem to have handled his progression perfectly.

No......I'm going to commend Scott Pioli

That just proves you have an agenda, and opinion shouldn't be respected.

I give Mike Smith a ton of credit for the success we had. I also give TD blame for our failures.

Smith was a bigger issue. I'm not going to pick and choose who we give credit to.

This draft was a home run as far as we can tell this soon. If it indeed turns out to be as good as we hope, then TD deserves as much credit as anyone.

Everyone involved.

I will commend everyone involved.

hjerry likes this

Hageman' a bad example. Everyone knew he was a project, to throw him out there sooner could have destroyed him. Falcons seem to have handled his progression perfectly.

But after 2013, why would a coach who desperately needed defensive help take on a project? We drafted Matthews in the 1st.

Smitty obviously signed off on the pick.

But after 2013, why would a coach who desperately needed defensive help take on a project? We drafted Matthews in the 1st.

I think there is confusion here. Let's be honest I think Smitty's part in the draft was limited to here are my positions of need. I don't think he walks into TD's office a week before the draft and goes here are my guys that I want. You never know how the draft is going to fall so you can't say I want this guy in the 2nd because there is no way you know that he is going to be there. Also with the trading that TD loves to do there is no way Smitty could account for those moves. I can also assure you that Smitty didn't go in there and demand the Julio trade. So where Smitty probably played a roll in the picking of positions of need you can bet rear end that TD picked the players.

I think there is confusion here. Let's be honest I think Smitty's part in the draft was limited to here are my positions of need. I don't think he walks into TD's office a week before the draft and goes here are my guys that I want. You never know how the draft is going to fall so you can't say I want this guy in the 2nd because there is no way you know that he is going to be there. Also with the trading that TD loves to do there is no way Smitty could account for those moves. I can also assure you that Smitty didn't go in there and demand the Julio trade. So where Smitty probably played a roll in the picking of positions of need you can bet rear end that TD picked the players.

I never said any different. At the same time, after the season, the coaches are scouting. That's why they are the Senior Bowl, the East West Shrine game, the Combine. They are as involved as anyone. It's their job to communicate a vision to the GM of the type of players they want.

What was Smitty's vision? He obviously couldn't communicate a clear one. Which is why TD is given another chance with a coach, who so far seems to have one.

I'm not sure the boss is happy paying two men very large salaries to do the work of one.

I never said any different. At the same time, after the season, the coaches are scouting. That's why they are the Senior Bowl, the East West Shrine game, the Combine. They are as involved as anyone. It's their job to communicate a vision to the GM of the type of players they want.

What was Smitty's vision? He obviously couldn't communicate a clear one. Which is why TD is given another chance with a coach, who so far seems to have one.

This is not really a defense of Smitty, because I supported him being fired. But in just looking at things from what we know, having read "The War Room" and observed the team closely through that time period, I get the feeling Smitty had a vision imposed on him, he went along with it trying to be a good soldier, and couldn't implement it.

After 2010, everyone knew we needed defense. We did not force a punt against GB the entire game. But Dimitroff wanted to get "explosive." Probably Blank too, but we don't really have direct evidence of that like we do Dimitroff. My circumstantial evidence is that it was such a huge change of direction that I have to believe it was being supported, at least, by the owner. So we trade the farm to get Julio, and we have another bad ending to a good season, where the coordinators were (appropriately) fired, and we bring in Koetter and Nolan. Now, Koetter is known for offensive explosiveness. He puts up yards and points. And true to form, he did that, and we almost made it to the Super Bowl. But his achilles heel is the o-line -- he needs a good one. So we dismantle the o-line after 2012 and promote Holmes and Konz to starters. Why Holmes and Konz? Well, they were the guys left when our picks came around because of the Julio trade. We also double up on corners since we let Grimes go, and bring in Osi. Then instead of getting more o-line help, we re-sign Gonzo and sign Jackson. That's when the wheels came off. We had an explosive coordinator, but we lacked the pieces in the trenches to make the engine run. Nolan, oddly, just seemed completely out of place here. Like he didn't know what he was doing. We had a huge dearth of talent on the defensive side, but there is no way we should have been as bad as we were, and it's not like it started after the defensive exodus -- his defense **** the bed in the playoffs twice with Abe and Spoon. So that didn't work out either.

Oddly, we seemed to be trying to run a defense similar to what Quinn is bringing in, but that's not really Nolan's forte. So we ended up with this big nickel bear hybrid thing, that never really had an identity and was too complicated for our players to execute properly. Should we have been a top 10 defense? No. Should we have been in the basement? I don't think so.

The reality is, regardless of whose fault it was, there was an enormous breach between the FO and the staff, and it was growing, not healing. Smitty has his part in it for sure, and a large part of that is you don't decide to be a good soldier if you don't have experience executing the plan. He left too much to his coordinators, and they were rarely on the same page. The media talks about him and Nolan being at odds all the time, but he and Koetter were too, especially with decisions on whether to go for it versus punt or kick a FG, etc. I think the reality is, he was told we were going to be more explosive, and instead of keeping a hand on the rudder, he brought in coordinators who he expected to implement that type of scheme and he would just manage the game. Only that doesn't really work, so when he would get twitchy and touch the rudder during live game situations, it ended up steering the ship off course.

It was time for him to go, no doubt. But I think he gets way too much of the blame. This is an example. I don't believe for one second that Smitty sat up after the GB game in 2010 and said "what we need is an explosive WR -- go trade the entire draft and get me one." Not for a second. That was Dimitroff's baby, which means this "explosive" nonsense was Dimitroff's vision. I'm glad things seem to be working better now and that stuff is being reined in. But I don't blame Smitty for not being able to implement a new "explosive" vision for the team. Primarily, I blame him for not having the pebbles to stand up and tell Dimitroff that is a bad idea and you need to think long term, or maybe I'm not the right coach for this team. He was a good soldier, but sometimes a good soldier has to be honest and tell the commander he is not equipped to carry out his orders.

I believe the past two drafts were good-to-great drafts, and I give TD/Blank credit in bringing in Pioli to fixing that.

TD/Smitty lost their way (especially on D) previous to that, starting with Julio trade. We should have addressed pass rush in draft long before Abe was allowed to leave.