Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Scott Pioli Named Most Influential Falcon, But Just How Influential Is He?

499 posts in this topic

why would you compare a GM coach that wins championships to TD?

This is one of those more fraudulent arguments people make on this board.

You bellyache about our GM, and when someone points out to you your criticism applies to even (arguably) the very best GM, you throw out the garbage "Yoo CanT Cumpaire" card.

I call total BS

paulitik likes this

If you were right then Blank would have already fired TD,, But the actually fact is Blank knows that Atlanta has grown and become a much better team because of TD.. The problem is, you were not around here before he came and took over the draft and helped this team to get much better than it was before he came.. Blank has been successful because he knows who to fire and who to keep. And that is why within the next 2 seasons you will see a vast improvement.. And TD is one of the most important people who has caused this to happen.. If you were right in your thinking, TD would have already been fired, But because Blank is a very smart man, TD is still helping this team to be one of the very best in the NFL. For the fact that TD is still here proves you wrong and the owner of this team right. Get back with me after this season and tell me Blank was wrong for keeping the most important person who is making this team one of the top 4 in the NFL. Blank knows what he's doing, if TD had been the problem, he'd done been fired, But TD is the main person who is still helping this team become one of the best in the NFL.

I think that statement needs some explanation.We are top 4 in what, exactly?

belicheats puts a competitive team on the field every year the same can't be said with TD. How are they in the same boat? Two different tiers of GM. Its like trying to compare matt ryan and geno smith. They're in 2 different leagues of talent

By you saying Bellichick and TD are on two different tiers, you just compared the two. Yet, earlier in the thread you told someone else you couldn't compare the two.

Which is it sparky?

Lornoth likes this

they brought up belicheat not me. I would never compare them because belicheat is elite at what he does. I'm contrasting the 2. Do you know what contrast means?

Compare and contrast are synonyms. Lol

belicheats puts a competitive team on the field every year the same can't be said with TD. How are they in the same boat? Two different tiers of GM. Its like trying to compare matt ryan and geno smith. They're in 2 different leagues of talent

TD was Belichick’s National Scout and Director of College Scouting for three of their Super Bowl years. So some of those competitive teams you are attributing to Belichick you have to give credit to TD also.

Belichick is a genius coach. He is the ultimate proof that coaching trumps talent in the NFL. I have no doubt he could have made a deep playoff run with the 2013-2014 Falcon teams.

It's easy and lazy to blame the GM, because if you lose the first thing you're going to think is that it's talent. This isn't the NBA. There's 11 players on the field at all times. Coaching is the thousands of decisions made in 4 quarters. It's making the game plan, it's creating a team philosophy, it's putting players in the position that suits their talents, it s knowing how to adjust when the plan isn't working. Coaching is not something you can go and find stats or rankings on NFL.com.

The parity is too great in the NFL. The talent isn't as far if a drop off from team to team as many want to believe it is.

Thomas Dimitroff has made a ton of mistakes, like every GM has. The problem was, Smitty was a windsock who didn't have a clear vision, and was easily pressured but the owner and the FO, because he wasn't confident in his process. We're we a 3-4 or a 4-3? A power run team, or a finesse passing offense? The coach has to set the vision for the team. Smitty, as good as he was for 5 years, couldn't, and conceded our weaknesses instead of trying to overcome them. He lost his way.

Say what you want about TD, but he's a young GM with a vision of football in the 21st century, in how Front Offices are run, how talent is evaluated. If we fired TD, he'd have a job tomorrow. Smitty might get a coordinator position in a year, but he won't a HC for a while, if ever.

TheFatboi and vel like this

you are SLOW my friend

Contrast - the state of being strikingly different from something else, typically something in juxtaposition or close association.

Compare - point out the resemblances to; liken to.

I normally wouldn't bother but English lessons are good for everyone. Compare is noting the similarities OR differences between two things. Contrast, basically, is just a more focused version of comparing, but the act of contrasting always falls within the scope of comparison.

gazoo and TheFatboi like this

they brought up belicheat not me. I would never compare them because belicheat is elite

You just compared them again, while inexplicably claiming you would never compare them.

Memo to eastjive, claiming one thing is better than another IS a comparison.

In fact, we all use the best as the measurement for how the rest are doing, we all compare the best to the others in any sport.

TheFatboi likes this

You're absolutely wrong. I've been a Falcon fan since 1975. I've been a season ticket holder since the 80s in Fulton County Stadium. I do agree TD has done some great things and yeah he's much better than the Rankin Smith family days. BUT the fact remains he has a pizz poor track record drafting defensive talent and it's been noted. That's why SP was put in charge. I'm not saying TD will be fired. I'm saying we're going to be a MUCH better team with SP in charge of the draft, player personnel, etc. TD is good with a calculator and managing the cap.

I was reading the comments to see if someone was going to say the same thing before I posted and then I happened upon this post.

It's simple to me: Pioli was really good at drafting defensive talent and put together some really good players on that KC defense but wasn't good as a GM overall.

TD sucks at drafting defensive players but is really good at the other stuff a GM is supposed to do.

Therefore putting them together as a team seems to work really well. Obviously we haven't seen any results from this years draft picks but since we have had Pioli, we have added Hageman, Beasley, Collins, Jarrett, and Soliai. TD has kept us in a really good cap situation even after signing our $100 million QB and is in a position to easily extend Julio. Let's give this TD/Pioli tandem a few years and I think we may be surprised at the results.

he doesn't know. He obviously hasn't watched falcons football the last 2 seasons. TD couldn't even dish Tony G for an extra draft pick

Wasn't because he couldn't deal Tony G. You let vets dictate things and any time things don't go there way they cause a stink. I still think not trading him was the right thing to do. I loved TG when he was here, still have his fathead on my office wall, but the SI interview after he left proved to me he was more interested in himself than the Falcons. Can't blame him but you, I, or TG can't blame the Falcons for making him finish his career in Atlanta.

Belichick is a genius coach. He is the ultimate proof that coaching trumps talent in the NFL. I have no doubt he could have made a deep playoff run with the 2013-2014 Falcon teams.

It's easy and lazy to blame the GM, because if you lose the first thing you're going to think is that it's talent. This isn't the NBA. There's 11 players on the field at all times. Coaching is the thousands of decisions made in 4 quarters. It's making the game plan, it's creating a team philosophy, it's putting players in the position that suits their talents, it s knowing how to adjust when the plan isn't working. Coaching is not something you can go and find stats or rankings on NFL.com.

The parity is too great in the NFL. The talent isn't as far if a drop off from team to team as many want to believe it is.

Thomas Dimitroff has made a ton of mistakes, like every GM has. The problem was, Smitty was a windsock who didn't have a clear vision, and was easily pressured but the owner and the FO, because he wasn't confident in his process. We're we a 3-4 or a 4-3? A power run team, or a finesse passing offense? The coach has to set the vision for the team. Smitty, as good as he was for 5 years, couldn't, and conceded our weaknesses instead of trying to overcome them. He lost his way.

Say what you want about TD, but he's a young GM with a vision of football in the 21st century, in how Front Offices are run, how talent is evaluated. If we fired TD, he'd have a job tomorrow. Smitty might get a coordinator position in a year, but he won't a HC for a while, if ever.

Big fan of Smitty and TD here, like all Falcons fans dissapointed in the last 2 seasons.

What you're basically saying above is that Smitty bought into the "we need to get more explosive" bit right? That's my personal opinion as well and expect that's what we'll read in his book.

With this said I do think we needed to create more big plays and we did, unfortunaly we took it overboard. I think it was more about having the ability to do so without compromising a balanced offense, basically we needed to be able to create big plays on offense when needed but ultimately we got away from what Smitty did best which was control the ball and keep a lack luster defense off the field.

The above mixed with a WTF scheme on defense and injuries was the demise of Smitty. I still think Smitty was the best coach we've ever had but he failed to coloborate with TD and adjust to the new NFL where the rules are aligned for the passing game to take over when the opportunity presents itself.

Hope this makes sense, it did in my head lol.

Big fan of Smitty and TD here, like all Falcons fans dissapointed in the last 2 seasons.

What you're basically saying above is that Smitty bought into the "we need to get more explosive" bit right? That's my personal opinion as well and expect that's what we'll read in his book.

With this said I do think we needed to create more big plays and we did, unfortunately we took it overboard. I think it was more about having the ability to do so without compromising a balanced offense, basically we needed to be able to create big plays on offense when needed but ultimately we got away from what Smitty did best which was control the ball and keep a lack luster defense off the field.

The above mixed with a WTF scheme on defense and injuries was the demise of Smitty. I still think Smitty was the best coach we've ever had but he failed to coloborate with TD and adjust to the new NFL where the rules are aligned for the passing game to take over when the opportunity presents itself.

Hope this makes sense, it did in my head lol.

There is no doubt Smitty was one of the best coaches we've ever had.

I think he did want to be more explosive, his brother in law was a champion of the whole TOXIC differential thing.

I also think that we figured out pretty quick that Smith's "process" didn't work in terms of playoff success. Smitty didn't have vision. He needs something extremely structured to work. Once the "process" was out, he couldn't articulate a winning vision for the team, and just tried everything, but didn't adjust his coaching style. We were liberal in our player acquisition and scheme, but conservative and stubborn to adapt on game day.

JDaveG likes this

TD can handle the financial aspect and cap situation well but he can't evaluate talent outside the skill position to save his life. He can't build an oline or defense, which are more vital to winning a championship (not regular season games but a CHAMPIONSHIP) to save his life. He can't build quality depth to even grasp a next man up mentality to save his life

Mike Smith couldn't identify what Defense we were playing. We picked up 3-4 talent, and stick with a convoluted 4 man front. A weird 4-2-5 scheme. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't put them in a position where they can succeed, it's pointless.

TDs weakness has been OL, but injuries have been a bigger issue than talent. I'm not putting injuries all on the GM. That's always dumb in my opinion.

TheFatboi likes this

2012 should have been a championship team. It had the talent. Coaching and mental mistakes messed that up.

TD has already built one championship caliber team. I see no reason why he can't do it again.

How different would we be talking about the guy right now if HD doesn't trip over his shadow or any of the other numerous blunders go the other way?

Who would we replace TD with that has built a better team than the 2012 Falcons?

Smitty was a defensive coordinator for years in Jacksonville and had always been on the defensive side of the ball with the Ravens and college. The fact that he couldnt tell us our defense and that our defense sucked for years tells me that TD and the front office were pulling the strings fielding and drafting defensive talent because defense is all Smitty knew his whole career. He couldnt have had much input. Do your research. You dont work with the long famed Ravens defense then go put crap on the field with your next team. Thats all TD's doing.

Now watch TD do the same thing with Quinn. Long famed defensive mind that will be given a bunch of crap to work with and it won't even be his fault if the defense isn't successful.

Weird how many ex-Jags we were bringing in when Smitty was here, almost like he had input, much like how ex-Seahawks are flocking here, almost like Quinn has input.

Make up a better fairy tale.

TheFatboi likes this

So... a pair of SP nut huggers are trying to call out all of the TD nut huggers in regards to managing a franchise involved in playing a team sport all the while not realizing that the teamwork between the two of them (and the subtraction of Smitty) is already magical and an example of being greater than the sun of one's parts.

Got it.

Lornoth likes this

Finny the TD lovers dnt want to see this at all, since they still think TD is in full charge of things just cause he is in front of the camera. Smh.

Im glad pioli is here to rectify some of the problems on this team

Smitty was a defensive coordinator for years in Jacksonville and had always been on the defensive side of the ball with the Ravens and college. The fact that he couldnt tell us our defense and that our defense sucked for years tells me that TD and the front office were pulling the strings fielding and drafting defensive talent because defense is all Smitty knew his whole career. He couldnt have had much input. Do your research. You dont work with the long famed Ravens defense then go put crap on the field with your next team. Thats all TD's doing.

Now watch TD do the same thing with Quinn. Long famed defensive mind that will be given a bunch of crap to work with and it won't even be his fault if the defense isn't successful.

If Smitty was getting run over by the FO, then that tells you he didn't have enough backbone to be a HC.

Smitty and Nolan thought they could fix the pass rush by strengthening the middle of the DL, which is exactly what we did. Then they threw in some overly complicated scheme that relied on confusions more than instinct. The problem was it confused the wrong team.

I'll agree with most that our OL is a concern, but talentwise the rest of our team matches up pretty well with most.

We've had plenty of talent. We should've been in the freaking super bowl 2 years ago. It's just ignorant to say we aren't talented. Injuries have been more of an issue than talent. Coaching was the biggest issue of all.

TheFatboi likes this

If Smitty was getting run over by the FO, then that tells you he didn't have enough backbone to be a HC.

Smitty and Nolan thought they could fix the pass rush by strengthening the middle of the DL, which is exactly what we did. Then they threw in some overly complicated scheme that relied on confusions more than instinct. The problem was it confused the wrong team.

I'll agree with most that our OL is a concern, but talentwise the rest of our team matches up pretty well with most.

We've had plenty of talent. We should've been in the freaking super bowl 2 years ago. It's just ignorant to say we aren't talented. Injuries have been more of an issue than talent. Coaching was the biggest issue of all.

yea ok... smh

Nonsense. Belechick proved in Cleveland no matter how smart a coach thinks he is, you can't win without talent.

We finished dead last in defense last two years due to injuries (something no coach controls) and bottom of the barrel talent. Deflating a few footballs here wouldn't have overcome those huge obstacles.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

The inverse is true as well. If smitty/Nolan were supposedly dictating to GM who to draft on a team so obviously deficient in areas such as pass rush, then that tells you GM didn't have enough backbone to deserve GM as well.

Thats why you draft depth. Or make less decisions where you trade 5 picks for 1 receiver or 3 picks for one damaged goods tackle. You dont cut your best sack machine sending him to arizona and replace him with a guy who only plays 3rd down with half the output

Agreed.

AB selected Ryan not TD. tongue.png

Whoa! According to TD it was Smitty doing the picking of players! I don't believe Smitty Picked Ryan no more than I believe he picked Jake Matthews.

Vandy likes this

Wait, I thought it was TD getting run over by Smitty and making him pick draftees that were not position of need?