Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Scott Pioli Named Most Influential Falcon, But Just How Influential Is He?

499 posts in this topic

Some things I have noted over the years regarding our FO. First off, TD is on record as saying that when it comes to acquiring players, TD himself is the final decision maker. Second, Jay Adams...without realizing it...provided proof that TD signs players he decides are best for our team. DRob is the proof I am speaking of. Jay Adams said, DRob was not a fit for our D, which was run by BVG at the time. There is no way in which TD comes out smelling like roses on that one. Third, this idea that Smitty and Nolan chose to improve the inside pass rush instead of our outside rush...that's nonsense. Of -course- we wanted to improve our inside rush because we did not -have- one. It would have improved our outside rush as well, but here is an even more radical idea...why couldn't TD improve BOTH inside and outside pass rush, in the same offseason? And finally...I am not buying that TD is not still running our personnel department. Looking at all the FAs we signed, it looks a lot like the overpaying for players TD has been doing since he got here. Add in drafting CBs and WRs...arguably our deepest positions...when we do not even have viable starters elsewhere, like O line, MLB, TE...TD is still making the personnel decisions here, guys. Our lines will always get shorted as long as TD is here, because he loves his DBs.

Bravo!

I'm wondering what the opinion is on the following group of players (as a group, not individually):

Sam Baker

Peria Jerry

Peter Konz

Lawrence Sidbury

Levine Toilolo

I'm wondering what the opinion is on the following group of players (as a group, not individually):

Desmond Trufant

Sean Weatherspoon

William Moore

Joe Hawley

Devonta Freeman

Or better still:

Justin Houston

Keven Zeitler

DeMarco Murray

Julius Thomas

Brandon Boykin

Vandy likes this

Desmond Trufant

Sean Weatherspoon

William Moore

Joe Hawley

Devonta Freeman

Or better still:

Justin Houston

Keven Zeitler

DeMarco Murray

Julius Thomas

Brandon Boykin

That group of players match the picks given up in order to acquire JJ. I used them as an example that just because we gave up those picks doesn't mean we gave up guaranteed contributors.

Granted, the same argument can be made in reverse. I just get tired of people that act as if having those picks back is done kind of guarantee that we would have between a better team.

Your second set of players is irrelevant. TD didn't pick those players. I already conceded the point you tried to make with the first list.

We get it. You don't like TD and you never will. You think you know more about football than anyone else. No one is allowed to make a mistake or learn from their mistakes. Anything less than perfection is unacceptable. Did I miss anything?

Your second set of players is irrelevant. TD didn't pick those players. I already conceded the point you tried to make with the first list.

We get it. You don't like TD and you never will. You think you know more about football than anyone else. No one is allowed to make a mistake or learn from their mistakes. Anything less than perfection is unacceptable. Did I miss anything?

That second set of players is not irrelevant because Dimi could have acquired them.

I like Dimi. Very articulate. Great hair style. Spiffy dresser. Rides a good bike. Had ten or fifteen nice transactions the last eight years. Sucks monkey balls overall as a roster builder though. Cost us at least one Lombardi.

Could woulda shoulda. No other GM in the NFL acquired all of those guys either.

And this is the part that FFS1970 will never get!

That second set of players is not irrelevant because Dimi could have acquired them.

I like Dimi. Very articulate. Great hair style. Spiffy dresser. Rides a good bike. Had ten or fifteen nice transactions the last eight years. Sucks monkey balls overall as a roster builder though. Cost us at least one Lombardi.

There's no way that TD would have drafted all those guys. Every GM in the league would have done in hindsight. Nobody hits on the best player in every round.

Five players, five different teams. YOU SHOULDA DRAFTED THEM ALL, STUPID!

(idiot)

peoriabird and vel like this

(idiot)

Thank you for the cordial response. This has been a very engaging and thoughtful post. I have much to ponder now.

You can tell FFS70 is old because all he does is live in the past. He's past his prime so he focuses on what's happened, not what's to come.

How about Swift draft from 2010. All he does is own some tanning salons and watches countless hours of football on TV . Yet he was able to NAIL 3 studs in one draft. Yep two all pro players in first two rounds as well. http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3891017-if-i-was-gm-of-the-team-my-draft-the-way-it-pan-out/

It's been 7 seasons with TD and he hasn't drafted 1 All pro player. His guidance has helped Falcons to 1 single playoff win in 7 seasons. Do you know how many other gems have helped there team to 1 playoff win over that span 20+

TD and Matt Ryan are still two biggest REASONS WHY FALCONS DONT HAVE A RING

BLANK is third

Hi, Swift.

No GM in the NFL normally acquires 3 elite players in one draft.

How about Swift draft from 2010. All he does is own some tanning salons and watches countless hours of football on TV . Yet he was able to NAIL 3 studs in one draft. Yep two all pro players in first two rounds as well. http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3891017-if-i-was-gm-of-the-team-my-draft-the-way-it-pan-out/

It's been 7 seasons with TD and he hasn't drafted 1 All pro player. His guidance has helped Falcons to 1 single playoff win in 7 seasons. Do you know how many other gems have helped there team to 1 playoff win over that span 20+

BLANK is third

Julio?

Trufant?

Thank you for the cordial response. This has been a very engaging and thoughtful post. I have much to ponder now.

That wasn't directed at you....I probably could have been a bit more clear.

Julio?

Trufant?

I'm pretty sure that one guy we drafted at QB (you know, the one that's a problem) is also considered an All Pro since he's been to at least one Pro Bowl.

Facts are optional.

There's no way that TD would have drafted all those guys. Every GM in the league would have done in hindsight. Nobody hits on the best player in every round.

(idiot)

Padawan posted a list of sorry Dimi drafted players from the rounds he traded away for Julio, seeming to insinuate he would have drafted a group like that. Possible but with similar picks he drafted this group:

Desmond Trufant

Sean Weatherspoon

William Moore

Joe Hawley

Devonta Freeman

If I were running his 11-12 drafts we would have had all but Julius Thomas from this list and would have been a better team.

Justin Houston

Keven Zeitler

DeMarco Murray

Julius Thomas

Brandon Boykin

If I were running his 11-12 drafts we would have had all but Julius Thomas from this list and would have been a better team.

Justin Houston

Keven Zeitler

DeMarco Murray

Julius Thomas

Brandon Boykin

The 6 mock drafts you posted from that year doesn't reflect your assertions.

Original

Round 1 (27) - Jimmy Smith (CB) - Colorado - 6'2" 211 lbs, 4.42 forty

Round 2 (59) - DeMarco Murray (RB) - Oklahoma - 6'0" 213 lbs, 4.37 forty

Round 3 (91) - Edmund Gates (WR) - Abilene Christian - 6'0" 192 lbs, 4.31 forty

Round 4 (124) - Chris Culliver (FS) - South Carolina - 6'0" 199 lbs, 4.36 forty

Round 5 (158) - Zack Hurd (OG) - Connecticut - 6'7" 316 lbs, 5.28 forty

Round 6 (192) - Henry Hynoski (FB) - Pittsburgh - 6'0" 257 lbs, 5.06 forty

Round 7 (209) - Ricardo Lockette (WR) - Fort Valley State - 6'2" 211 lbs, 4.34 forty

Round 7 (229) - Ryan Donahue (P) - Iowa - 6'2" 193 lbs, 4.90 forty

Round 7 (230) - Kai Forbath (K) - UCLA - 5'11" 197 lbs, 4.78 forty

MOCK A

-Round 1 (27) - Justin Houston (DE) - Georgia - 6'3" 270 lbs, 4.62 forty

-Round 2 (59) - Martez Wilson (LB) - Illinois - 6'4" 250 lbs, 4.42 forty

-Round 3 (91) - Edmund Gates (WR) - Abilene Christian - 6'0" 192 lbs, 4.31 forty

-Round 4 (124) - Virgil Green (TE) - Nevada - 6'3" 249 lbs, 4.54 forty

-Round 5 (158) - Zack Hurd (OG) - Connecticut - 6'7" 316 lbs, 5.28 forty

-Round 6 (192) - DeMarcus Van Dyke (CB) - Miami - 6'1" 176 lbs, 4.25 forty

-Round 7 (209) - Ricardo Lockette (WR) - Fort Valley State - 6'2" 211 lbs, 4.34 forty

-Round 7 (229) - Noel Devine (RB) - West Virginia - 5'8" 179 lbs, 4.54 forty

-Round 7 (230) - Ryan Donahue (P) - Iowa - 6'2" 193 lbs, 4.90 forty

MOCK B

-Round 1 (27) - Derek Sherrod (OT) - Mississippi St. - 6'5" 321 lbs, 5.18 forty

-Round 2 (59) - Jabaal Sheard (DE) - Pittsburgh - 6'3" 264 lbs, 4.68 forty

-Round 3 (91) - Edmund Gates (WR) - Abilene Christian - 6'0" 192 lbs, 4.31 forty

-Round 4 (124) - DeMarco Murray (RB) - Oklahoma - 6'0" 213 lbs, 4.37 forty

-Round 6 (192) - Henry Hynoski (FB) - Pittsburgh - 6'0" 257 lbs, 5.06 forty

-Round 7 (209) - Ricardo Lockette (WR) - Fort Valley State - 6'2" 211 lbs, 4.34 forty

-Round 7 (229) - Ryan Donahue (P) - Iowa - 6'2" 193 lbs, 4.90 forty

-Round 7 (230) - Kai Forbath (K) - UCLA - 5'11" 197 lbs, 4.78 forty

MOCK C

-Round 1 (27) - Aaron Williams (CB) - Texas - 6'0" 204 lbs, 4.55 forty

-Round 6 (192) - Henry Hynoski (FB) - Pittsburgh - 6'0" 257 lbs, 5.06 forty

MOCK D

-Round 1 (27) - Kyle Rudolph (TE) - Notre Dame - 6'6" 259 lbs, 4.83 forty

-Round 3 (91) - Marcus Gilchrist (CB) - Clemson - 5'10" 195 lbs, 4.45 forty

-Round 6 (192) - Mike Mohamed (LB) - California - 6'3" 239 lbs, 4.65 forty

Final

-Round 1 (27) - Derek Sherrod (OT) - Mississippi St. - 6'5" 321 lbs, 5.18 forty

-Round 2 (59) - Martez Wilson (LB) - Illinois - 6'4" 250 lbs, 4.42 forty

-Round 6 (192) - DeMarcus Van Dyke (CB) - Miami - 6'1" 176 lbs, 4.25 forty

-Round 7 (229) - Kai Forbath (K) - UCLA - 5'11" 197 lbs, 4.78 forty

-Round 7 (230) - Ryan Donahue (P) - Iowa - 6'2" 193 lbs, 4.90 forty

Houston is listed only once, in the initial mock in the 1st.

DeMarco Murray is listed above where he was picked only once.

Your bullshitting is laughable.

Mike Smith and Mr blank would never have signed off on picking Houston.. Just not gonna happen.

It's already been pointed out that you had Murray falling to fourth round so you would missed out on him as well, even if you would have been bold enough to take him a round earlier than expected he still woulda been gone.

I'll give you boykin though. You probably would have spent a high draft 2nd or 3rd rounder on him and Smith would have sat him on the bench. Congrats!

How about Swift draft from 2010. All he does is own some tanning salons and watches countless hours of football on TV . Yet he was able to NAIL 3 studs in one draft. Yep two all pro players in first two rounds as well. http://boards.atlant...way-it-pan-out/

BLANK is third

If me, Swift, KoG, and G-Dawg were running the 10-12 drafts, we would have had a beast pass rusher, lock down corner, as beatin RB, real OG, killer LB, TE threat and a shiny hood ornament. And we are armchair GMs armed with YouTubes and internet stats. Not tons of tape, workouts and interviews. And that's just the draft. Free agency was worse. Jeez.

The 6 mock drafts you posted from that year doesn't reflect your assertions.

Houston is listed only once, in the initial mock in the 1st.

DeMarco Murray is listed above where he was picked only once.

Your bullshitting is laughable.

Those are mock drafts clown. Mocks are based on how you think the draft will unfold. Dimi said he runs hundreds of em. I ran six. A mock is not a big board. Do you know what a big board is son? When the real draft starts it's not a mock. Houston and Murray were the two players I wanted most from that draft. We had two shots at both of em. I would have taken Houston in the first and DeMarco in the second. You can even find posts in the archives where I said I would take Murray as high as 27. Go diggem up Digga.

Those are mock drafts clown. Mocks are based on how you think the draft will unfold. Dimi said he runs hundreds of em. I ran six. A mock is not a big board. Do you know what a big board is son? When the real draft starts it's not a mock. Houston and Murray were the two players I wanted most from that draft. We had two shots at both of em. I would have taken Houston in the first and DeMarco in the second. You can even find posts in the archives where I said I would take Murray as high as 27. Go diggem up Digga.

So based on how you thought the draft would unfold. You would have missed out on those players. Thanks for proving his point

Mike Smith and Mr blank would never have signed off on picking Houston.. Just not gonna happen.

It's already been pointed out that you had Murray falling to fourth round so you would missed out on him as well, even if you would have been bold enough to take him a round earlier than expected he still woulda been gone.

I'll give you boykin though. You probably would have spent a high draft 2nd or 3rd rounder on him and Smith would have sat him on the bench. Congrats!

We got plenty of weed boys on our roster. He could have gotten his weed from Babineaux or Hageman. Justin Houston was drafted by Scott Pioli bro. Dimi's boss. He's now running our drafts. He probably wanted Randy Gregory in the second this year. Imagine that. Vic Beasley and Randy Gregory in one draft. That's how you fix a pass rush.

The first mock I ever did in my life had Murray in the second. He and Houston were my most coveted players from that draft. If I was running it both would have been Falcons. Trust me. Plus Zeitler and Boykin the next year. Troffed.

Houston would have bookended Abe, Murray would have spelled then replaced Turner, Zeitler would have stopped the OG merrygoround before it started and Boykin would have played NB and return kicks better than Quizz.

If they were number 1 and 2 on your big board, you would've taken them in the 1st and 2nd rounds of every mock.

Keep believing that son.

Mocks are mocks. When the draft starts there is no more mockin. Houston was sitting there at 27. He would have been a Falcon. I would have snapped up Murray in the second withe quickness. I wanted him badly. Read that entire thread you keep bumpin. It's all there Digga.