Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Scott Pioli Named Most Influential Falcon, But Just How Influential Is He?

499 posts in this topic

No one guy should have all of the control. Pioli is good at drafting defensive players and TD is good at drafting skill players. Between them we are getting closer to the total package.

Pioli does the day to day running of the pro and college scouting sections of the team and undoubtedly does his own scouting of prospects in conjunction with a number of ther talent evaluators, including the area scouts, TD and probably some of the coaches as well.

I would bet every penny that I own, that these guys spend hours evaluating tape together.

Ultimately, it's a collaborative process with a large number of people invilved in the discussions and evaluations, with TD having "final say" in the event that the brain trust cannot reach a consensus. The idea that Pioli is running rhe show is BS, from people with.an extreme anti-TD agenda. The type of people who refuse to acknowledge what we accomplished from 2008-12, think it built itself, or who try to argue that the 2007 roster was loaded with great talent that was more responsible for the success than Turner, Ryan, Gonzalez, Julio, HD, Baker, Biermann, Peters, Lofton, Spoon, Moore, Decoud.

TD and Pioli are closer than any 2 guys in similar positions in the NFL. These guys have been very close friends for 20+ years and are like family. Pioli even spend a lot of time looking after TD's father when he passed away from cancer...

So it's all Pioli and no TD? Then why did Pioli do poor in KC and all of a sudden be good here? Hm?

Pioli did "poor" in KC?

They have a lot of talent.

Pioli drafted most of that talent.

Pioli was never in a position to draft a Matt Ryan.

All that KC roster needed was a good QB.

Pioli was not "poor" at KC.

Pioli did "poor" in KC?

If td is considered poor here there is no way that Pioli could be considered anything but poor in kc.

Shelley#37 likes this

FYI TD is the same guy who traded 2 2nd round picks and a 4th to move up and draft Sam Baker. This is the guy you praise

And Bill Belichick can't draft wide receivers, does that mean he sucks too? There's not a GM in the league that hasn't/doesn't make mistakes. With every post you make, it's clear you expect perfection. You'll never find it because it doesn't exist...

falconsd56 likes this

Pioli did "poor" in KC?

Pioli was a good QB away from still being there. He did acquired some very fine talent while in KC.

Im just glad SP is heading up the draft now and TD in charge salary cap and being AB yes man

Forget the whole "My gm is better than your gm" argument. Consider the source. This is all over Jason LaCanfora. Seriously. This so called "insider" wrote an article about each franchise and which person in that franchise had the most influence when compared to the previous year. Not who had the most influence, but who had the most NEW influence.

Jason Freaking LaCanfora. The same so called "insider" that incorrectly stated in the same exact article that Scott Pioli is needed now more than ever due to Rich McKay currently being under and NFL suspension!?!?!?! (he was temporarily removed from the competition committee but is NOT under and NFL suspension)

But hey, back to my gm is better than your gm. LaCanfora would want nothing less.

Pioli was a good QB away from still being there. He did acquired some very fine talent while in KC.

Im just glad SP is heading up the draft now and TD in charge salary cap and being AB yes man

Yea...that's not real

Pioli is highly influential, but I agree -- the notion that TD will be fired and replaced with Pioli is nonsense. Pioli is a great talent evaluator but he flamed out in KC because he lacks personnel management skills. He essentially freaked everyone out. TD is a great personnel guy, but he has been hit and miss on talent evaluation. The success, if it comes, will be from collaboration from those two and maximizing what they do well, which is why we restructured the FO.

If it doesn't work, both will be fired. There is no "get rid of TD and keep Pioli" option. I'd be willing to bet on that.

The bottom line is TD has NOT done a good job in Atl. Matt Ryan has carried him to what success we've had over the last 7 yrs. AB, the media, and many others have noted it. So that's why SP was hired.....people can keep shaping it anyway they like but TD can't draft defensive talent....PERIOD

eastside_bird likes this

The bottom line is TD has NOT done a good job in Atl. Matt Ryan has carried him to what success we've had over the last 7 yrs. AB, the media, and many others have noted it. So that's why SP was hired.....people can keep shaping it anyway they like but TD can't draft defensive talent....PERIOD

Can I draft your avatar?

If you were right then Blank would have already fired TD,, But the actually fact is Blank knows that Atlanta has grown and become a much better team because of TD.. The problem is, you were not around here before he came and took over the draft and helped this team to get much better than it was before he came.. Blank has been successful because he knows who to fire and who to keep. And that is why within the next 2 seasons you will see a vast improvement.. And TD is one of the most important people who has caused this to happen.. If you were right in your thinking, TD would have already been fired, But because Blank is a very smart man, TD is still helping this team to be one of the very best in the NFL. For the fact that TD is still here proves you wrong and the owner of this team right. Get back with me after this season and tell me Blank was wrong for keeping the most important person who is making this team one of the top 4 in the NFL. Blank knows what he's doing, if TD had been the problem, he'd done been fired, But TD is the main person who is still helping this team become one of the best in the NFL.

Which means exactly nothing.

Exactly, and people who hate TD means nothing to Blank, Blank is a smart man. And why we will be make the playoffs this year if Ryan can stay healthy.

There are many things TD has done well. There are some things he hasn't. Pioli helps fill a need in our FO. He does not fill every need in our FO. Just because Pioli can help draft talent on the defensive side does not make TD obsolete. Piloi had plenty of mistakes in KC and hopefully the combination of them two will yield better results than either had individually.

This simple mindset leads to very costly mistakes.

JDaveG and gazoo like this

No one guy should have all of the control. Pioli is good at drafting defensive players and TD is good at drafting skill players. Between them we are getting closer to the total package.

We hope.

If you were right then Blank would have already fired TD,, But the actually fact is Blank knows that Atlanta has grown and become a much better team because of TD.. The problem is, you were not around here before he came and took over the draft and helped this team to get much better than it was before he came.. Blank has been successful because he knows who to fire and who to keep. And that is why within the next 2 seasons you will see a vast improvement.. And TD is one of the most important people who has caused this to happen.. If you were right in your thinking, TD would have already been fired, But because Blank is a very smart man, TD is still helping this team to be one of the very best in the NFL. For the fact that TD is still here proves you wrong and the owner of this team right. Get back with me after this season and tell me Blank was wrong for keeping the most important person who is making this team one of the top 4 in the NFL. Blank knows what he's doing, if TD had been the problem, he'd done been fired, But TD is the main person who is still helping this team become one of the best in the NFL.

You're absolutely wrong. I've been a Falcon fan since 1975. I've been a season ticket holder since the 80s in Fulton County Stadium. I do agree TD has done some great things and yeah he's much better than the Rankin Smith family days. BUT the fact remains he has a pizz poor track record drafting defensive talent and it's been noted. That's why SP was put in charge. I'm not saying TD will be fired. I'm saying we're going to be a MUCH better team with SP in charge of the draft, player personnel, etc. TD is good with a calculator and managing the cap.

Why can't we just say he's been bad since two or three years ago?

Ive said this before... We are in a good situation even tho a preferred change at the end of the season

Pioli is scouting guys and setting up the draft and FA rankings/boards.... Quinn and staff is telling both what they are looking for in the scheme and some players they like..... TD is picking the players on the boards based off Pioli rankings and Quinns suggestions and guys he and his staff likes....

Pioli doesnt have the overall power to go full dictatorship like he did in KC .... TD is getting help scouting from a guy who scouts good at positions that is not his strength ... And Coach Quinn gets some guys that he likes that fits his scheme and he works good with TD ...

Now its all about putting in work on the field to see should we keep this structure

After watching every interview since we hired Dan Quinn, it's looks more and more apparent to me than TD and DQ are a package deal.

Dan Quinn has gone out of his way to praise TD more in 4 months than Mike Smith did in 7 years.

If you hate Thomas, prepare to hate Dan Quinn.

gazoo and vel like this

Right. we're a minority on TATF but a vast majority of overall "fans". There's always love for TD postdraft until the season starts and you realize he f***ed up again

I don't get the fascination with the fans wanting Pioli to be the guy so bad.

Let me ask this: How many times has Quinn even said Pioli's name?

Good point. Quinn's talked up TD every chance he gets. I don't recall him mentioning SP.

paulitik likes this