Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Scott Pioli Named Most Influential Falcon, But Just How Influential Is He?

499 posts in this topic

That doesn't mean I wouldn't have. No GM drafted Randy Gregory before the third round. I would have snapped that mofo right up in the second. Gurley and Gregory would have been Falcons. So would have Diggy. Offense and defense probably would have been better.

Didn't the Cowboys draft Gregory in the 2'nd?

Golden tate has proven his value as a #1, and Seattle is stacked at wr. Gronkowski is technically a wr and you could argue that he did win the bowl game. The truth of the matter is that those five pics would've been a waste since mike smith hated rookies and never developed any players. When we shipped out brooking and Lofton, our defense turned from mediocre to the worst. You have to put complete blame on the Smittiot for never being able to put a competent defense together. Atleast we have two great pieces w/ JJ and MR we were left to build around.

The thing with our previous coaching, they were enamored by old vets. That alone lead to some decisions that made me want to pluck my eyes out:

We acquired the following old players because smitty refused to work with rookies:

-Persistence on starting grandpa Sjax

-Tyson jokeson at tackle

-persistence in starting samuel

-persistence in starting dunta

-Brian williams

-ray edwards

-even tg was begged to come back and was given the farm even though he wasn't willing to work with us.

This Smitty didn't play rookies bush it gets parroted on TATF ad nauseam. What a crock of sht. Ryan, Julio, Tru, Lofton, Matthews, Douglas, Jelly, Beer, Owens, Peters, Spoon, Alf, Lolo, Free, Hageman.........rolleyes.gif

Lol didn't hageman get 5 snaps a game? And freeman seriously?

I thought Hageman was handled pretty well by Falcons coaching staff. He clearly wasn't ready to play early in season, so they brought him along slowly with more PT as season went on.

Hageman got way more than five snaps per game.

He was playing minimal snaps, get real. He was also supremely better than tybust. He was handled way too carefully. Freeman should've started over Sjax who was clearly done shouldn't have ever been signed. Matthews/jj/tru/Lofton started out of dire need. Alford didn't play until the wheels fell off samuels.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't have. No GM drafted Randy Gregory before the third round. I would have snapped that mofo right up in the second. Gurley and Gregory would have been Falcons. So would have Diggy. Offense and defense probably would have been better.

You should definitely be a GM.

He was playing minimal snaps, get real. He was also supremely better than tybust. He was handled way too carefully. Freeman should've started over Sjax who was clearly done shouldn't have ever been signed. Matthews/jj/tru/Lofton started out of dire need. Alford didn't play until the wheels fell off samuels.

Hageman started the season playing like dookie kong. He had a -7.7 PFF overall score in his first seven games. Most coaches would have benched him.

Vandy likes this

Moving the goal post again I see

The only way it won't hit $100M+ is if it's less than seven years.

1) Why would it be seven years or more?

2) At what point do you acknowledge the fact that an APY is arguably the worst way to assess any given contract?

Remember when you wanted to draft Kyle Rudolph and Martez Wilson? Yeah, me too...funny how you rarely bring those two STUDS up.

Make a list, wait for reality to shake out, cross off the misses on the list, highlight the "hits" particularly when they hit two rounds after you would have drafted them.

Somehow DeMarco Murray was in your Top 27 but you had him as a 4th rounder. Makes sense.

Hageman started the season playing like dookie kong. He had a -7.7 PFF overall score in his first seven games. Most coaches would have benched him.

Do you actually watch any ******* football or do you just pay PFF to form your opinions for you?

Last year, Hageman got 220 snaps....less than every defensive player on the roster except Arenas, Baker, Maponga and Matthews.

Last year, Devonta Freeman played ~20% of snaps....17 more snaps than DiMarco.

Mike Smith relied on rookies when he had no choice. If he had a veteran alternative, the veteran almost always got the nod.

Last year, Hageman got 220 snaps....less than every defensive player on the roster except Arenas, Baker, Maponga and Matthews.

Mike Smith relied on rookies when he had no choice. If he had a veteran alternative, the veteran almost always got the nod.

He played the players that were deserving... W\o question.

DF can't pass block.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Round 2, Pick No. 37: Ra'shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota

Instead of finding a pass rusher in the second round, the Falcons took a project defensive lineman, after seemingly addressing the position in free agency. The selection was considered decent value at the time, although it appeared that the Falcons may have panicked somewhat when their top two targets (Dee Ford, Demarcus Lawrence) came off the board before their turn. Hageman showed some maturity issues in camp, and was not very productive when given snaps on the field early on in the season. With his playing time increasing toward the end of the season, Hageman flashed some potential, and ended up with 16 tackles and a sack in 16 games played, with no starts. There are tools to work with here, but man could Atlanta have used an edge rusher like Kony Ealy with this pick. Grade: C+

Just one guy's opinion, but the general consensus was Hageman was not ready to play in NFL, and needed to be brought along slowly. Which is what we did.

Slightly above at 33-31(.516).

We were 33-15 (.688) the three previous seasons with Roddy White as our top WR.

But we were'nt decimated by injury in those years.

Man I Know your pushing an agenda here but does the above come into that equation while your pushing it.

Idon'tmind you having your point of view but just take into account all the facts which clearly you are not.

1) Why would it be seven years or more?

2) At what point do you acknowledge the fact that an APY is arguably the worst way to assess any given contract?

Remember when you wanted to draft Kyle Rudolph and Martez Wilson? Yeah, me too...funny how you rarely bring those two STUDS up.

Make a list, wait for reality to shake out, cross off the misses on the list, highlight the "hits" particularly when they hit two rounds after you would have drafted them.

Somehow DeMarco Murray was in your Top 27 but you had him as a 4th rounder. Makes sense.

Very first mock I ever did in my life had DeMarco selected in round two son.

Hageman was playing like sht son. When you are a coach trying to win games you play the players you think can help you win games. Every rookie aint ready to start day one.

Vandy likes this

Round 2, Pick No. 37: Ra'shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota

Instead of finding a pass rusher in the second round, the Falcons took a project defensive lineman, after seemingly addressing the position in free agency. The selection was considered decent value at the time, although it appeared that the Falcons may have panicked somewhat when their top two targets (Dee Ford, Demarcus Lawrence) came off the board before their turn. Hageman showed some maturity issues in camp, and was not very productive when given snaps on the field early on in the season. With his playing time increasing toward the end of the season, Hageman flashed some potential, and ended up with 16 tackles and a sack in 16 games played, with no starts. There are tools to work with here, but man could Atlanta have used an edge rusher like Kony Ealy with this pick. Grade: C+

Just one guy's opinion, but the general consensus was Hageman was not ready to play in NFL, and needed to be brought along slowly. Which is what we did.

Any questions Larry?

But we were'nt decimated by injury in those years.

Man I Know your pushing an agenda here but does the above come into that equation while your pushing it.

Idon'tmind you having your point of view but just take into account all the facts which clearly you are not.

Well, the facts are we traded a boatload of picks for a dynamic WR which cost us in that we could not rebuild our D or replace aging players nor develop any depth to cover ourselves sufficiently when those injuries inevitably happened..... That combined with some pretty mediocre 4 years of overall strategic drafting 2009-2012 and there you have it....

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Well, the facts are we traded a boatload of picks for a dynamic WR which cost us in that we could not rebuild our D or replace aging players nor develop any depth to cover ourselves sufficiently when those injuries inevitably happened..... That combined with some pretty mediocre 4 years of overall strategic drafting 2009-2012 and there you have it....

Excellent post. Madden Boys cannot understand this to save their lives. They just want an explosive downfield target. Even at the cost of a 10-22 record.

What will it take to shut you boys up about this Julio Jones trade..Playoffs? Division championship? super bowl victory? What? Julio is a great addition to this team and will be for a very long time people...Deal with it!

What will it take to shut you boys up about this Julio Jones trade..Playoffs? Division championship? super bowl victory? What? Julio is a great addition to this team and will be for a very long time people...Deal with it!

Calm down, it's just opinions during a boring off-season. What do you want to post about, Arthur Blank's supposed burglary? The new Stadium's glossy brochure on ticket prices or the PSI "buying experience"? ?

Personally, a super bowl would shut me up.

huh.png

Won't happen. The night he was drafted I posted that he will be a beast but he will never be worth five picks. That opinion will never change. Had we used those five picks on 3-5 core players we probably win a Bowl in 2012. Maybe even in 2011.