Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

andrews31cain21

Looks Like Mike Smith Is Going To Write A Book

315 posts in this topic

Smith is too nice a guy to rip anyone in a book. It will most likely be about player relations and learning from his mistakes.

I tell you what's a new low, this board. Bashing Mike Smith every chance y'all got. Yes he failed to take us to the Superbowl and failed to get us back on track after the 2012 season, but y'all done forgot all the good things he had done for us in his first 5 years.

Given the crappy roster he had, Smith gave us 5 straight winning seasons that this franchise had never seen. Without Mike Smith half of this board wouldn't be here cheering for the Falcons. We would still be wishing for a decent head coach that would for once give us stability. Mike Smith given stability and raised the expectations for the Falcons and all of y'all treat him like he's hot garbage man!

Give the man some respect!

+1

9-10 would be what I hope for.

4-6 is what I expect.

I believe we will be a better team, with a sense of purpose and direction. But we will have growing pains.

Beasley and Baby Tuggle will need time to learn and adapt to the NFL. This is normal, and will be no cause for panic.

The line is changing schemes, and quite radically. ZBS often doesn't show dramatic results until year 2. This learning curve is likely going to be exacerbated by the incredible number of projected starters still out with injuries.

Our secondary is going to be young, mostly inexperienced, and at least one is likely to be going through a position change as well.

While it is certainly possible that things break just right, and we finish with double digit wins. I just won't be distraught or disheartened if our improvement on the field does not immediately translate to on field wins.

I agree we'll have growing pains, Rookies most likely won't contribute as much as fans expect, so many new personnel will take time to gain chemistry with new coach, we still have huge concerns at OL, LB, TE and FS....but anything less than 9-10 wins if healthy is a disappointment on a team that has the firepower we have offensively. 4-6 wins with Matt Ryan in his prime will be huge disappointment, no matter whatever coach speak excuse is thrown out there.

If healthy.

PokerSteve likes this

Can't wait to read the book.

Me too. Hope he lets it all hang out,especially the behind the scenes decisions. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Smitty a lot smarter than the 'what have you done for me lately's' grasp.

eastside_bird likes this

Oh God, if it's as vanilla as his press conferences that will be one boring read...

A good editor won't let that happen.

Please do not twist my words, sir.

Nowhere did I say he should be trashed. If you actually read my posts in this thread, I think you will find that I feel the same way as you.

There seems to be a particular hypersensistivity with certain posters in respect to suggesting It was time for Smitty to move on and why we feel that way or using harmless humor in fictitious book tiles to make our point. My God kids, grow a pair for Christs sake, this is NFL football not the knitting club.

Quite honestly I think underneath the hypersensistivity in some around here is they feel the problem was Blank or TD so they attack us who felt it was mostly Smitty.

Of course blame can be found with Blank and TD, of course building a winning team requires good checmistry and vision between ownership, management and coaching. OF COURSE this is true, why do the Smitty apologists keep jumping to the straw man argument that anyone says g it wa time formSmitty to go is blaming him exclusively for the failures each time someone says it was time for Smitty to go?

Smitty did an awesome job for us and turned the moribund franchise around and of course we appreciate that and respect the man for what he did, but it was time for him to go, he lost his way, there are huge mistakes that cost us games we can pin entirely on his decision making the last couple of years in clock management and I'm not going to let any bullies on the message board stop me from speaking my mind by assigning false motivations to my intent.

It wa s time for Smitty to move on, he lost his way period. If that causes you to feel uncomfortable than I cant help you.

PokerSteve likes this

There seems to be a particular hypersensistivity with certain posters in respect to suggesting It was time for Smitty to move on and why we feel that way. Quite honestly I think underneath the hypersensistivity is they feel The problem was Blank or TD so they attack us who felt it was mostly Smitty.

Of course blame can be found with Blank and TD, of course building a winning team requires good checmistry and vision between ownership, management and coaching. OF COURSE this is true, what do the Smitty apologists keep jumping to the star man argument each time someone says it was time for Smitty to go?

Smitty did an awesome job for us and turned the moribund franchise around and of course we appreciate that and respect the man for what he did, but it was time for him to go, he lost his way, there are huge mistakes that cost us games we can pin entirely on his decision making the last couple of years in clock management and I'm not going to let any bullies on the message board stop me from speaking my mind by assigning false motivations to my intent.

It wa s time for Smitty to move on, he lost his way period. If that causes you to feel uncomfortable than I cant help you.

Agree 100% it was time for Smith to move on, probably a year too late. Disagree with the 'all or nothing crowd' who can't seem to see beyond one variable that got Falcons to that place.

Disappointed in Falcons brass in some of their 'leaks' in allowing Smith to be scapegoat of last two years. Like you said, plenty of blame to go around....coaching, GM, management, and player performance.

And there's just as many irrational TD apologists here as Smitty ones. But it's time for al to move on.

Agree 100% it was time for Smith to move on, probably a year too late. Disagree with the 'all or nothing crowd' who can't seem to see beyond one variable that got Falcons to that place.

Disappointed in Falcons brass in some of their 'leaks' in allowing Smith to be scapegoat of last two years. Like you said, plenty of blame to go around....coaching, GM, management, and player performance.

And there's just as many irrational TD apologists here as Smitty ones. But it's time for al to move on.

Brother Vandy, going to your point, you know one thing I haven't seen on here is the possibility that the Chemistry just wasn't there between the coaching staff and management any longer. You could have a GM suck in one organization and flourish in another, you can have a coach suck in one organization and flourish in another.

Just like in marraige, sometimes it just ain't meant to be, starts off looking real promising but you hit turbulence some years down the road, can't get on same page through , the relationship changes and you both realize it wasn't meant to be. Doesn't have anything to do with who's fault it was, it was time to move on.

Vandy likes this

Brother Vandy, going to your point, you know one thing I haven't seen on here is the possibility that the Chemistry just wasn't there between the coaching staff and management any longer. You could have a GM suck in one organization and flourish in another, you can have a coach suck in one organization and flourish in another. Just like in marraige, sometimes it just ain't meant to be, starts off looking real promising but you hit turbulence some years down the road, can't get on same page through it and things change and you both realize it wasn't meant to be. Doesn't have anything to do with who's fault it was, it was time to move on.

Excellent point. Happens in business world as well sports world. Most of times these things are only good for a few seasons, and then human nature and egos blow it up. Looks like AB hung on one season too long to me before making necessary changes.

But I'm a huge Smitty fan, and will call out anyone here who discredits the good overall work he did here. I wanted Quinn as his replacement day 1, but he hasn't won one friggin game here yet, and will be fortunate to replicate what Smitty did here years 1-5.

gazoo likes this

I agree we'll have growing pains, Rookies most likely won't contribute as much as fans expect, so many new personnel will take time to gain chemistry with new coach, we still have huge concerns at OL, LB, TE and FS....but anything less than 9-10 wins if healthy is a disappointment on a team that has the firepower we have offensively. 4-6 wins with Matt Ryan in his prime will be huge disappointment, no matter whatever coach speak excuse is thrown out there.

If healthy.

Agree with you, there could well be too many problems for this team to put it all together as early as this season. On the other hand, with Matt Ryan and the offense this team has, coupled with the fact that we have the weakest schedule in the NFL, added to the fact that most NFL teams are barely mediocre or outright trash, the Falcons should be able to get at least nine wins this season. If they don't, I will be disappointed but looking forward to watching Quinn and Pioli continue to massively reshape this roster for 2016.

I can't recall the last time a top rated Head Coach got fired and there weren't numerous rumors floating around about teams interested inntheir service. Every year Mike Cower says he is taking the year off with no interest in coaching and his name is attached to every team Loki g for a head coach anyway. Here in Atlanta. The Smitty apologists procliam he wanted to take year off and that's why no one heard as much as a rumor about another team wanting him.

Sorry, don't want to get into a shouting match with you, especially since I agree with some of your premises about Smith, like how it was time for him to go and he probably lost the team over the past couple of seasons.....BUT just because there were no rumors on the internet doesn't mean that Smitty was not contacted by other teams. In all likelyhood, knowing what we know about Smith's character, if he was contacted and declined an offer he would want it kept under wraps. Your insinuation that he garnered no offers from organazations just because it was not splashed all over the internet or sports shows (because he is a poor coach) is at best speculation and at worst disrespectful.

eastside_bird and Vandy like this

I wonder how much stuttering there'll be in the book. It's sure to be full of incoherent mumblings. I can't stand that guy and his severe lack of any leadership qualities. The only reason he was any good is Matt Ryan. He was a complete bafoon. I wouldn't be able to get through that book if I was paid to do it.

I,wonder how much stuttering there'll be in the book. It's sure to be full of incoherent mumblings. I can't stand that guy and his severe lack of any leadership qualities. The only reason he was any goos is Matt Ryan. He was a complete bafoon. I wouldn't be able to get through that book if I was paid to do it.

I must be psychic because I knew this post was coming.I'm just shocked that it took you this long Rage.

I must be psychic because I knew this post was coming.I'm just shocked that it took you this long Rage.

Sometimes ignorance takes a minute to show itself.

Vandy likes this

I wonder how much stuttering there'll be in the book. It's sure to be full of incoherent mumblings. I can't stand that guy and his severe lack of any leadership qualities. The only reason he was any good is Matt Ryan. He was a complete bafoon. I wouldn't be able to get through that book if I was paid to do it.

Classy.

I hope he can explain how he had the tools to get to the superbowl and even the second half lead of the NFCCG but it wasn't his fault for the collapse.

People like to claim he didn't have the tools he needed to succeed yet he had to tools to get so many leads that were folded in the second halves.

The book should be devoid of any x's and o's.

I'm trying to erase that nightmare from my mind but every time I look at the boards there's a Mike Smith thread up. I think it's better to focus on the present and what we have in Quinn is everything that mike smith is not.

Classy.

Is there anything that I said that isn't true. I don't care. I will be brutally honest when it comes to mike smith. He was here far longer than he should have been and I knew it was a waste of time every year he was here. We could never win a Super Bowl with him at the helm. Never. Not in 100 years.

This type of silliness is what will become butthurt nerdrage wben the reality of our talent level wnd inexperience hits.

Ok, you have a lot of likes on this reply,, I'm game,, and willing to stick with what I said ,even if I have to admit being wrong at the end of the season.. But I firmly believe what I said.. But only with the Statement if Ryan stays healthy. If Smith was still the HC, I would not make such a prediction. But I am a real believer in Quinn, and the huge changes he is making. Let me ask you this Question. How many wins do you think we will have this season.??