Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

andrews31cain21

Looks Like Mike Smith Is Going To Write A Book

315 posts in this topic

"Getting fired and not even having as much as a whisper of interest from any other team; not even a rumor started by a talking head" by Mike Smith

You used to be an interesting and sometimes even respectable poster.

I bet the first half of the book is very exciting.

Gotta give it up for that one. biggrin.png

No he had been following me around responding with stupid pictures. I decided to remind him his posts aren't interesting

It was actually a well thought out and rational post that addressed and acknowledged both sides

Just ftr, I can best use the chef analogy to cover my feelings on the TD/Smith thing.

Smith was the chef, while TD bought the groceries.

TD went out and got what he was told to get, but he still could have done a better job of inspecting the quality of the ingredients.

If Smith didn't like the quality of the ingredients, then he could have (and maybe did) modified what he was asking for as well.

So basically, you have blame on both sides. TD can come off as wholly innocent if you assume that Smith directions were flawed and that TD was limited in who he could choose. Meanwhile TD can seem wholly to blame, if you assume that he bought the ingredients with heavy disregard for Smith's desires.

The truth is probably somewhere in between, but Smith's faults were simply easier to pin down. The product on the field, the lack of development, the improper use of players, as well as timeouts, are all things that presented themselves as clear as day, and were simply unable to be argued.

TD's faults, on the other hand, were more mysterious, since we weren't in the room when any of these decisions were being made. Even I have to admit, that this whole scenario lends itself more to blaming Smith than TD.

For me personally, there's also the fact that TD is here and Smith is not. When Smith was still here, I was one of few that defended him adamantly, even against most others, up until midway through last season. (The Browns game was what sealed it for me, fyi.) Of course, by that point, it was basically over for him anyway, and I think that any rational person knew it. The writing was on the wall, at that point, that he was out of here.

My stance has always been that I will lean toward cautious optimism, that is, that if I can see a rational argument for why the positive option is possibly true, then I tend to at least try to believe that it is. Therefore, I take a similar approach to Smith that I take with players who are no longer here: I remember the good time fondly, thank him for his services, but move on. TD, on the other hand, is still here, and as long as he is, I will try to believe that he can be an asset to this team.

Smith was great for us, and I will always appreciate what he did for this franchise, but I've simply moved on. Now, I spend my time looking forward to what Quinn will bring.

Of course, there's also the factor of Blank's involvement in all this, but we know even less about that, than we do about TD's, so since that would be pretty much close to 100% speculative, I'm leaving that out.

I can't find fault with your opinion and I can respect the fact that you appreciate what Smitty has done. In some aspects TD is safe now because SUPPOSEDLY he has no power outside of managing the contracts and cap. We will see. I will say this though with this draft class if it fails I will not give TD ownership of it. However if it succeeds I will not give him any credit either. This is on Quinn and SP now. Also I think we all hope the best when it comes to Quinn but I also think we shouldn't crown him yet either.

The way people treat our former players and coaches here is beyond ridiculous For an *** hat like Ray Edwards I can totally understand....... but for a guy like Smitty who literally put his heart and well being at risk for this team. He is by far the best coach this team EVER had and something that is of as equal or much more importance he is and was one of the classiest PEOPLE you will ever meet.

Yet the way some people talk about him here... you would think he was June Jones incarnate.

It is truly sad and quite frankly pathetic.

His take on what happened is something worthy of attention.

eastside_bird and Vandy like this

It was actually a well thought out and rational post that addressed and acknowledged both sides

Don't bother. Arguing with a troll isn't worth your time, and it's why I don't bother.

I do find it amusing though that he thinks that he's insulting me, by failing to read an actual thought out post, b/c I attack his hate filled, knee jerk, thoughtless, troll drivel. rolleyes.giflaugh.pngwink.png

PokerSteve, Lornoth and falconsd56 like this

Mike Smith is the winningest coach we've ever had, and yes, he deserves accolades for that to a degree. However, just being better than the mostly awful teams we've had before him isn't really some great accomplishment. His goal was to bring a SB to Atlant & he ultimately failed to do so.

The rosters he had were filled with the players he & his coordinators asked for.

He's a nice guy, and did a decent job early o bringing us from an afterthought to a slightly above average franchise. However, you don't just get to forget those last two miserable years. They were on his watch as well, and they count just as much as the 5 good seasons.

So just to put things into perspective, just because Coach Smith failed to bring the SB to our team he should be trash by fans every single time his name brought up?

Now I'm in no way saying it was not Coach Smith's fault that we didn't achieved the goals that was expected. He deserves as much blame as TD for the last 2 seasons. His mistakes were shown on the field, and for that he got the axe came down for his job.

However I got nothing but respect for Coach Smith. He coached this team to his best ability. He brought the respect back to this team. This franchise is in a much better state after he left then when he first accept the job. But folks around here will act like in his 7 years, coach Smith didn't do jack but leave this team in a disarray.

Vandy, falconsd56, Tuggle'2 and 1 other like this

What made Mike Smith great in the beginning became what made him bad in the end. He was conservative, he was disciplined, he was old school. He valued vets over rookies and he valued team captains and 4 year starters over players leaving early.

He played safe football. Run the ball and don't give up big plays. He was the bobby cox of football. Great in the regular season but once the intensity got ramped up in the playoffs we got blown out.

All the things we needed after the Vick fiasco smith gave us. Stability, character...he was the safe pick.

I think after getting blown out of the playoffs year after year he started to feel the pressure and abandoned his safe philosophy and the past two seasons were the result.

We out grew Smith. We needed a coach that likes to attack instead of playing not to lose. A coach whose intensity is unmatched instead of being the calming presence. A coach that is always a step ahead and doesn't fold under pressure. A coach who is unafraid to throw young players into action. I am hopefull that Quinn is that man.

k-train, PokerSteve and hjerry like this

What made Mike Smith great in the beginning became what made him bad in the end. He was conservative, he was disciplined, he was old school. He valued vets over rookies and he valued team captains and 4 year starters over players leaving early.

He played safe football. Run the ball and don't give up big plays. He was the bobby cox of football. Great in the regular season but once the intensity got ramped up in the playoffs we got blown out.

All the things we needed after the Vick fiasco smith gave us. Stability, character...he was the safe pick.

I think after getting blown out of the playoffs year after year he started to feel the pressure and abandoned his safe philosophy and the past two seasons were the result.

We out grew Smith. We needed a coach that likes to attack instead of playing not to lose. A coach whose intensity is unmatched instead of being the calming presence. A coach that is always a step ahead and doesn't fold under pressure. A coach who is unafraid to throw young players into action. I am hopefull that Quinn is that man.

Agreed. Smith was exactly what we needed for who we were in 2008. We simply need something different now, as we've changed.

Also, and I said this during the coaching search, Smith was the best that we could have hoped for in 2008. The best candidates aren't interested in coaching what we were in 2008. We have a lot more desirables for a HC now than we did then.

Probably neither. Frankly, that's about what I'm expecting. And I don't care about the win total the first year. All I need to see is a definitive plan being put in motion, and solid progress in the play of our young players.

It is entirely possible to improve dramatically, without it showing on the scoreboard. Example: last year's Raiders.

As long as demonstrative progress is made in the talent level and development of our young players, a bad W/L record will be survivable. Lord knows if I was gunshy about a losing season, I certainly wouldn't still be a Falcons fan.

You're just expecting 4 wins? From a team that had 6 last year, and should have had 8.....with Matt Ryan in his prime?

Bull Malarchy. This team if healthy should win 9-10 games.

eastside_bird likes this

So just to put things into perspective, just because Coach Smith failed to bring the SB to our team he should be trash by fans every single time his name brought up?

Now I'm in no way saying it was not Coach Smith's fault that we didn't achieved the goals that was expected. He deserves as much blame as TD for the last 2 seasons. His mistakes were shown on the field, and for that he got the axe came down for his job.

However I got nothing but respect for Coach Smith. He coached this team to his best ability. He brought the respect back to this team. This franchise is in a much better state after he left then when he first accept the job. But folks around here will act like in his 7 years, coach Smith didn't do jack but leave this team in a disarray.

Please do not twist my words, sir.

Nowhere did I say he should be trashed. If you actually read my posts in this thread, I think you will find that I feel the same way as you.

I tell you what's a new low, this board. Bashing Mike Smith every chance y'all got. Yes he failed to take us to the Superbowl and failed to get us back on track after the 2012 season, but y'all done forgot all the good things he had done for us in his first 5 years.

Given the crappy roster he had, Smith gave us 5 straight winning seasons that this franchise had never seen. Without Mike Smith half of this board wouldn't be here cheering for the Falcons. We would still be wishing for a decent head coach that would for once give us stability. Mike Smith given stability and raised the expectations for the Falcons and all of y'all treat him like he's hot garbage man!

Give the man some respect!

NO!

Don't give the man credit for pushing a system of mistake free, run first football.

That is how football is suppose to be played my friend. Wannabe champions play mistake free football.

Having an edge wins Superbowls!!!

Well thank you Joe, I appreciate the shoutout. I suppose I do have my moments, don't I smile.png

After 37 thousand plus posts I guess you're bound to have a good one or two here and there laugh.png

You're just expecting 4 wins? From a team that had 6 last year, and should have had 8.....with Matt Ryan in his prime?

Bull Malarchy. This team if healthy should win 9-10 games.

9-10 would be what I hope for.

4-6 is what I expect.

I believe we will be a better team, with a sense of purpose and direction. But we will have growing pains.

Beasley and Baby Tuggle will need time to learn and adapt to the NFL. This is normal, and will be no cause for panic.

The line is changing schemes, and quite radically. ZBS often doesn't show dramatic results until year 2. This learning curve is likely going to be exacerbated by the incredible number of projected starters still out with injuries.

Our secondary is going to be young, mostly inexperienced, and at least one is likely to be going through a position change as well.

While it is certainly possible that things break just right, and we finish with double digit wins. I just won't be distraught or disheartened if our improvement on the field does not immediately translate to on field wins.

This type of silliness is what will become butthurt nerdrage wben the reality of our talent level wnd inexperience hits.

Reality can be a large, bitter pill to swallow.

A book by Mike Smith is an intriguing and attractive item for really rabid Falcon fans, but as far as any real interest in any other sector of the reading public I fail to see the potential financial reward in this project. Head coaches get fired in droves every year. Not exactly a unique experience.

I'm happy for Mike Smith because I know it's probably been great therapy to get all this junk out of his head. But honestly I don't know how the book publisher expects to make any money from this. Too small a niche of the reading public care what the real story of Mike Smith's demise actually was.

As a Falcon fan no doubt there would be parts of the book I would find interesting, because there's the chance it would answer so many questions we've all wondered about, especially over the past two disastrous seasons.

C'mon. It's not he's doing Oprah, Ellen, or Barbara Walters. Almost everyone who has spent any time in the public eye has a book.

From the looks of the book description he's specifically speaking on locker room business for how the process folded. If it turns out to be something else, then cool, but airing dirty laundry after you're booted is petty and pitiful

I tell you what's a new low, this board. Bashing Mike Smith every chance y'all got. Yes he failed to take us to the Superbowl and failed to get us back on track after the 2012 season, but y'all done forgot all the good things he had done for us in his first 5 years.

Given the crappy roster he had, Smith gave us 5 straight winning seasons that this franchise had never seen. Without Mike Smith half of this board wouldn't be here cheering for the Falcons. We would still be wishing for a decent head coach that would for once give us stability. Mike Smith given stability and raised the expectations for the Falcons and all of y'all treat him like he's hot garbage man!

Give the man some respect!

Listen bro lol...if it's not a tell all, then I was wrong and I'll accept my L like a man. But if he releases a tell all giving out locker room business for profit after he got kicked to the curb?...eff him and his 'nothing to show for it' winning seasons.

I don't think ya realize that I was one of Smith's biggest supporters on here and continue to think this board overrates the level of talent he had to work with. But if you leave the team I root for, then try to bring out dirty laundry against the team I root for...eff you.

Will anyone want to publish it? no offence to Smith, but most sports biographies are from people with engaging personalities who capture the public interest, elite talents or people who have been hugely successful.

Smith is a nice guy and a decent coach, but doesn't really fall in to an of those categories, so how many people will want to read it? I doubt that many people outside Atlanta would have any interest in it at all.