Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ATLFalcons11

Great Article - Nfl's Best Qb Situation

333 posts in this topic

Discredited how? Bro Gazoo said MR has "never had nowhere near the pass protection Brady had" and I gave a 3 year admittably cherry picked period where Brady was sacked more than Ryan was, just as you defenders of the faith are cherry picking the last two as how it's always been. Until 2013-14, Ryan was a reasonably well protected QB. Was it as good as Brady's was? No, but that wasn't the point, the gap was not what has been claimed.

Keep trying though. OL is a huge concern today. You might also try researching some PFF stats on passing efficiency when combined with effective running game, although I don't believe Brady's ever had a 1700 yard RB.

Fair claim. But, has Matt Ryan ever had a defense like one of Brady's? Has he ever had someone 1/2 as talented as Bill Belichick as his head coach?

Yes he has. He has turned the ball over enough in the p/o to excuse D, O line, and coaching.

His D, O line and coaching were good enough for 13 win seasons...was he good enough or w/o blame in any of those losses?

MR has had his opportunities.

Russel Wilson, in his NFCCG, fumbled on the first play from scrimmage, gave the ball up inside the red zone, his D held the other team to a FG.

Ryan has never had a D like that.

gazoo and Troyces like this

The Falcons lost the game as a team. BUT, Matt Ryan definitely did enough individually to help the team win

Ryan had the second highest post season QB rating of all 2012 playoff QBs including Tom Brady.

Some here keep ignoring our offense played as good in playoffs as it did on regular season it was our 2012 regular season defense that did not show up in the 2012 playoffs.

Manning has ALWAYS been stacked in terms of talent around him.... He had 2 first round talents in Harrison and Wayne at wr,a first round the in Clarke, a first round rbs in James and adai..... Manning has never once had to elevate the talent around him...even going to Denver he walked into an offense with several pieces around him like a first round back in Moreno and We in Thomas...... He is a great qb..one of best ever but to say he has elevated his players around him sells the players around him short... He has had great skill players for nearly all of his career.

Ryan will never be on the level of Brady, Manning, or Rodgers but he can win a Superbowl.

Its the yips holding MR back... I just don't think yardage and TDs were ever the issue.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Even if it is a stupidly wrong and silly opinion.

Which Manning receiver went to another team and dominated?

Which Manning receiver went to another team, period?

A: None. Manning's best weapons have always been retained for him.

What Brady receiver went elsewhere and continued to be an impact receiver?

What Brady receiver under the age of 32 went elsewhere and continued to be an impact receiver?

A: Again, never happened. Although, I hear that Moss fella was OK even before he hooked up with Tom. Five Pro Bowls in your first six seasons is good, right?

gazoo likes this

Discredited how? Bro Gazoo said MR has "never had nowhere near the pass protection Brady had" and I gave a 3 year admittably cherry picked period where Brady was sacked more than Ryan was, just as you defenders of the faith are cherry picking the last two as how it's always been. Until 2013-14, Ryan was a reasonably well protected QB. Was it as good as Brady's was? No, but that wasn't the point, the gap was not what has been claimed.

You were probably too busy researching what a designed rollout is to notice it the first time, so I'll just post it again.

QB Hits

Ryan: 69 (21st)

Brady: 52 (28th)

Ryan: 84 (7th)

Brady: 71 (21st)

Ryan: 83 (8th)

Brady: 67 (21st)

http://www.nfl.com/s...qualified=false

When you get done with the rollout thing, look up QB hits/pressures and the ways in which they impact a QB's ability to effectively do his job.

You might also try researching some PFF stats on passing efficiency when combined with effective running game, although I don't believe Brady's ever had a 1700 yard RB.

No, he only had a 1,600 yd/12 TD RB - along with a top 10 defense and the most accurate clutch kicker in the game - to ride to a Super Bowl in 2004. Poor guy.

And since you clowns always love to lump Turner, Roddy, Julio and Gonzo together as if they all played at the same time in peak health for seven full seasons during their respective primes, allow me to do the same for Brady. I believe the narrative goes something like:

"Over the last few years, Brady has been SURROUNDED by elite weapons: A 1,600 yd/12 TD Pro Bowl RB, a first ballot HoF WR, a five-time Pro Bowl slot receiver, not one, but TWO 900+yd/10+ TD TEs, four Pro Bowl O-linemen, a top 5 defense, the best kicker in the game, the brightest OC in the game and arguably the greatest HC in NFL history. How in the heck did a QB who has been so coddled go nine seasons without winning a Super Bowl?"

You know, being totally full of sh*t is kind of fun, actually. I think I get now why so many here do it.

Troyces, kevykev21 and gazoo like this

Discredited how? Bro Gazoo said MR has "never had nowhere near the pass protection Brady had" and I gave a 3 year admittably cherry picked period where Brady was sacked more than Ryan was

So realing that his line was crap and getting the ball downfield quickly apparently doesn't affect sack totals. It was all the stellar protection by the wall of stud All Pro HoF linemen we had in front of Ryan who get all the credit.

I hope you realize how completely silly your argument is. Sack totals are not always indicative of the quality of the line's play.

Why would anyone think number of sacks a QB takes would at all be an accurate picture or even glimpse into what their actual pressures were? That's like explaining what all is in a salad, but only saying bacon bits.

Manning has ALWAYS been stacked in terms of talent around him.... He had 2 first round talents in Harrison and Wayne at wr,a first round the in Clarke, a first round rbs in James and adai..... Manning has never once had to elevate the talent around him...even going to Denver he walked into an offense with several pieces around him like a first round back in Moreno and We in Thomas...... He is a great qb..one of best ever but to say he has elevated his players around him sells the players around him short... He has had great skill players for nearly all of his career.

As has Matt Ryan.

No, he only had a 1,600 yd/12 TD RB - along with a top 10 defense and the most accurate clutch kicker in the game - to ride to a Super Bowl in 2004. Poor guy.

And since you clowns always love to lump Turner, Roddy, Julio and Gonzo together as if they all played at the same time in peak health for seven full seasons during their respective primes, allow me to do the same for Brady. I believe the narrative goes something like:

"Over the last few years, Brady has been SURROUNDED by elite weapons: A 1,600 yd/12 TD Pro Bowl RB, a first ballot HoF WR, a five-time Pro Bowl slot receiver, not one, but TWO 900+yd/10+ TD TEs, four Pro Bowl O-linemen, a top 5 defense, the best kicker in the game, the brightest OC in the game and arguably the greatest HC in NFL history. How in the heck did a QB who has been so coddled go nine seasons without winning a Super Bowl?"

You know, being totally full of sh*t is kind of fun, actually. I think I get now why so many here do it.

while Ryan had a 1700 yard/17 TD RB in 2008, HOF TE for 5 seasons, Pro-bowl caliber WR every season, and a Top 10 D in 2012. and I would put our kicker on par with NE's as well.

And no Super Bowls yet to show for it.

As far as being FOS, you claiming Ryan has had no weapons to work with is at the very top of the FOS listing.

So realing that his line was crap and getting the ball downfield quickly apparently doesn't affect sack totals. It was all the stellar protection by the wall of stud All Pro HoF linemen we had in front of Ryan who get all the credit.

I hope you realize how completely silly your argument is. Sack totals are not always indicative of the quality of the line's play.

Nothing silly about it. Sacks count, even more than hits do.

You guys can flip and flop all you want, the narrative that MR has always had a crappy OL isn't true. Our OL was not bad at all in 2008-2012.

Why would anyone think number of sacks a QB takes would at all be an accurate picture or even glimpse into what their actual pressures were? That's like explaining what all is in a salad, but only saying bacon bits.

How anyone thinks number of sacks aren't part of the picture is missing more than bacon bits.

+1000

You hit the nail on the head with the example, that is EXACTLY what he keeps doing.

Now you're catching on.

Wish I could say the same for you, Mr Mod!

tongue.png

Nothing silly about it. Sacks count, just as much as hits do.

You guys can flip and flop all you want, the narrative that MR has always had a crappy OL isn't true. Our OL was not bad at all in 2008-2012.

Ryan made them look better than they were in 08-12- he made quick decisions and would throw the ball at the first sign of danger- it was what MM and Smith wanted him to do. Last couple of years, hasn't been able to compensate for the horrid Oline play.

Wish I could say the same for you, Mr Mod!

:P

Why would anyone want to catch on to whatever makes people like you denigrate and run down one of the best QB's in the NFL today?

Your posts on this represent a level of crazy, a degree of lunacy, that no sane person could comprehend. Nor want to if we could.

+1000

You hit the nail on the head with the example, that is EXACTLY what he keeps doing.

Why, because I disagree Matt is in the same category of HOF QBs like Brady? Just because board homers like yourself don't like to hear that doesn't make it not so.

I've always liked Matt, and believe he's actually an underrated QB who should be in every Top 5-6 QB discussion, but prior to 2013-14 he was surrounded by plenty of talent. Hopefully with new coach and another good draft we're back to getting him some talent to work with again including a decent running game combined with building a good defense to take some of the pressure off.

Ryan made them look better than they were in 08-12- he made quick decisions and would throw the ball at the first sign of danger- it was what MM and Smith wanted him to do. Last couple of years, hasn't been able to compensate for the horrid Oline play.

That's true, but they weren't bad, which was the point.

Last two years OL was terrible.

Why would anyone want to catch on to whatever makes people like you denigrate and run down one of the best QB's in the NFL today?

Your posts on this represent a level of crazy, a degree of lunacy, that no sane person could comprehend. Nor want to if we could.

Aw, someone forgot to take their nap.

Find one post where I've ever once ran down Matt Ryan as a QB, in this or any other thread. When you don't, come back and apologize, you old coot.

We're all homers to some extent, but some of you need to get a grip.

Aw, someone forgot to take their nap.

Find one post where I've ever once ran down Matt Ryan as a QB, in this or any other thread. When you don't, come back and apologize, you old coot.

We're all homers to some extent, but some of you need to get a grip.

Talking about how great the line was, when it clearly was mediocre at best, and somehow making Ryan the scapegoat for no Superbowls is just horrible posting. Inaccurate, inane, and asinine. I am certainly not afraid to criticize anyone or anything. But I draw the line at running down Matt Ryan and blaming him for a lack of a championship. It's simply a lie.

The line was mediocre at best.

The playcalling under Mularkey was predictable, conservative to a fault, and ineffective.

The coaching, the play-not-to-lose mentality, the lack of any imagination or innovation, was inexcusably bad.

The defense has always been bad when needed most. Even when the stats looked better than the reality of the play on the field. Important drives in big games were seldom stopped.

What little success we had was due in large part because of Matt Ryan, qnd we are amazingly lucky to have him. People like you, who fail to recognize and appreciate just how tough, how talented, how much of a foundational bedrock he really is are just incomprehensible.