Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ATLFalcons11

Great Article - Nfl's Best Qb Situation

339 posts in this topic

mom's been gone a long time, probably before you were born.

The question is....Do you get anything right?

What ever you say is fine with me. Do us both a favor and find someone in your own league to debate.

That is all.

In 2010, Brady was sacked 2 less than Ryan was. In 2011, Brady sacked 6 more than Ryan. In 2012, Ryan was sacked 1 more than Brady. Over the course of those 3 seasons,Matt was sacked less than Brady in total.

The fact is, until the last two seasons, Matt's been in bottom 25th percentile in QB sacks throughout his career.

You need to find a better narrative.

QB Hits

Ryan: 69 (21st)

Brady: 52 (28th)

Ryan: 84 (7th)

Brady: 71 (21st)

Ryan: 83 (8th)

Brady: 67 (21st)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2010&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

On almost the same number of attempts over that span. Keep in mind that 2011 was Year One of "Explosive." That said, Brady still attempted more passes than Ryan during 2011 and 2012 - which explains why he was sacked more those two years. Wish I still had a PFF subscription so I could pull up total pressures.

Looks like yours is the narrative that needs replacing. Have fun with that.

Jimsmusic™ and gazoo like this

Matt Ryan has faced a higher percentage of pressure plays than Tom Brady every year from 2010 to 2012 per PFF.

Unpossible!

QB Hits

Ryan: 69 (21st)

Brady: 52 (28th)

Ryan: 84 (7th)

Brady: 71 (21st)

Ryan: 83 (8th)

Brady: 67 (21st)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2010&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

On almost the same number of attempts over that span. Keep in mind that 2011 was Year One of "Explosive." That said, Brady still attempted more passes than Ryan during 2011 and 2012 - which explains why he was sacked more those two years. Wish I still had a PFF subscription so I could pull up total pressures.

Looks like yours is the narrative that needs replacing. Have fun with that.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/05/qbs-in-focus-pressure-and-the-blitz/

giphy.gif

gazoo and cooperbh like this

Does anybody remember early in Ryan's tenure when we would keep it close down to the last possession, then just count on Matt to bail the entire team out and go win the game?

Yeah man many a game watching with opposing fans have I seen things like remotes glasses and alike head for the TV after Ryan pulled off the game winning drive or got us in position for Bryant or Elam to kick the winner.

It brings lots of good memories and a smile to my face this very day.

gazoo likes this

No, he hasn't. period. Hasn't had the D or the Oline or the coaching.

Yes he has. He has turned the ball over enough in the p/o to excuse D, O line, and coaching.

His D, O line and coaching were good enough for 13 win seasons...was he good enough or w/o blame in any of those losses?

MR has had his opportunities.

Yes he has. He has turned the ball over enough in the p/o to excuse D, O line, and coaching.

His D, O line and coaching were good enough for 13 win seasons...was he good enough or w/o blame in any of those losses?

MR has had his opportunities.

The last 2 playoff games he had against Seattle and the Niners though he put up some pretty nice-looking stats.

That gives me a lot of hope that he's gotten over his playoff yips.

The last 2 playoff games he had against Seattle and the Niners though he put up some pretty nice-looking stats.

Its the yips holding MR back... I just don't think yardage and TDs were ever the issue.

Cliff Notes version:

Admittedly, that article doesn't address the particular seasons that Vandy cherry-picked for his recently discredited narrative.

Discredited how? Bro Gazoo said MR has "never had nowhere near the pass protection Brady had" and I gave a 3 year admittably cherry picked period where Brady was sacked more than Ryan was, just as you defenders of the faith are cherry picking the last two as how it's always been. Until 2013-14, Ryan was a reasonably well protected QB. Was it as good as Brady's was? No, but that wasn't the point, the gap was not what has been claimed.

Keep trying though. OL is a huge concern today. You might also try researching some PFF stats on passing efficiency when combined with effective running game, although I don't believe Brady's ever had a 1700 yard RB.

😝

We have all watched the games, we've all seen Brady, Brees and Manning drop back with clean pockets the majority of the years they've been playing with good to excellent running backs/ running games backing them up.......year in and year out. Has there been occasion when Brady and/ or Manning were under more pressure in a season than usual, of course.

We've also watch Matt Ryan year in and year out get the living snot beat out of him with insane amounts of pressure and taking vicious hits the majority of the years he's been here. Has there been occasion where Ryan's pass protection on occasion was better than it has been most of his career? Of course.

Why do people even pretend to act as if they really believe Brady and/ or Manning have had anywhere near the amount of pressure Ryan has faced *over each of their careers*....its farcical on its face.

Jimsmusic™ likes this

Matt Ryan was not the reason the Falcons lost that game. The defense just could not figure out the 49ers in the second half.

Matt Ryan was not the reason the Falcons lost that game. The defense just could not figure out the 49ers in the second half.

Defense wasn't either...reason for losing.

Yeah, I know.

That's why I said Ryan's performances in the Falcons last 2 playoff games gives me hope for his future playoff play.

Yeah, I know.

That's why I said Ryan's performances in the Falcons last 2 playoff games gives me hope for his future playoff play.

I know. I think I worded my reply poorly.

Our 2012 regular season offense showed up in the 2012 playoffs. Our 2012 regular season defense did NOT show up in the 2012 playoffs. That's the big takeway.

If I looked to any one cause of our last second loss the 49ers in the 2012 NFCCG, I'd say it was our predictable play calling. The 49ers said after the game they knew the exact play we called to Roddy and defended it by knocking him off route.

Think about that, the predictability of our play calling led to that incomplete pass that ended our ability to advance to the Super Bowl......that's coaching folks. A Bellichick led team NEVER makes a stupid mistake like that.

Our 2012 regular season offense showed up in the 2012 playoffs. Our 2012 regular season defense did NOT show up in the 2012 playoffs. That's the big takeway.

If I looked to any one cause of our last second loss the 49ers in the 2012 NFCCG, I'd say it was our predictable play calling. The 49ers said after the game they knew the exact play we called to Roddy and defended it by knocking him off route.

Think about that, the predictability of our play calling led to that incomplete pass that ended our ability to advance to the Super Bowl......that's coaching folks. A Bellichick led team NEVER makes a stupid mistake like that.

Agree you don't hang 24 on a team in the first and not score a single point in the second half they adjusted and we didn't.

With this, I agree. I've always wondered if Matt getting hurt on that drive played into that play call?

gazoo likes this

Peyton Manning is a great QB no doubt, but unlike Tom Brady, Manning has always played on stacked offensive teams. He did not have to do much elevating IMO.

Which Manning receiver went to another team and dominated?

What Brady receiver went elsewhere and continued to be an impact receiver?

Remember how dominant Wes Welker was in Miami, before he had Brady? No?!? Yeah--- there's a reason for that.

But in fairness to Matt Ryan, when Roddy and Julio were out, Harry Douglas became a 1000 yard receiver. He might not even make the cut for the Titans. So I believe Matt has absolutely elevated receivers when he needed to, and he has indisputably elevated bad offensive lines with his quick decision making and lightning release.

Non contact fumble stands huge in 2012...especially in fg range.

Defense definitely helped assure home field advantage in any 13 win season.

It was 6 minutes left in the third quarter. The Cliff Matthews roughing the passer was probably bigger.