Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulitik

Prince Shembo Charged With Felony Animal Cruelty

1,037 posts in this topic

Problem being, he's not that valuable to begin with. If it's Julio Jones, you wait until he's guilty. If it's a 3rd string linebacker, you get rid of the problem before it escalates.

I mean, I get that. It's the real world, not some esoteric intangible perfect world. So is true due process, so I can always hope for better without being ignorant of how the world works.

I also think that if it were many other organizations that wouldn't be looking at their 3rd player killing a dog in 7 years, the leash might have been a bit longer.

What is done is done, and it is not like I'm angry at the Falcons, I just hope they know more and didn't simply have a knee jerk reaction to PR and a police report.

So he should have NOT been waived for killing the dog?

Alright, I'm outta here.

Allegedly I stated that if found guilty then he should be fined and suspended.

You're not an employee of the NFL. You're basically an independent contractor giving your services for negotiated pay.

The distraction this causes outweighs the potential benefit he has to the team, therefore it's a simple cost/benfefit analysis. You terminate his contract because the cost outweighs the benefit even if he is found not-guilty of the charges.

Are you trying to make an employment law argument? One of my clients is a professional football team in California. They are not independent contractors in the eyes of the law, but even so there is nothing stopping an employee being fired either. Being an at will or a contract employee makes little difference.

Two things I've found especially interesting here.

One, if the girlfriend's statements in the police report were true, he admitted killing the dog to her. Which would be incredibly stupid of him.

Two, the Falcons waived him without taking the usual 'let the legal system run its course' approach. Which suggests to me that he admitted killing the dog to them. Also incredibly stupid.

I'm just spitballing on this, but Shembo probably could have beaten this thing easily just by denying the allegation. The man must really be incredibly stupid.

And im just spitballing on this... but maybe his past history caught up with him (or he never got over it, considering his twitter feed was nothing but bible verses) and he just fessed up due to wanting punishment in some form. I honestly think this could be the case. Dude obviously has issues.

I'm usually first to say we should wait and see, and I'll say it now, with this caveat.

The Falcons know something. This happened April 18, she went to the police April 19. They knew this was coming. And my guess is they've independently investigated it. There is no self defense claim -- it was a Yorkie. So he was with the dog, alone, and the dog is dead from what turns out to be blunt force trauma. The girlfriend says he admitted kicking the dog more than once.

Maybe she's lying. Maybe she killed the dog after he broke up with her. Maybe the dog jumped off a bookshelf and hit its head. Maybe the Yorkie gnomes came into his house and bludgeoned the dog to death. But it sure looks like he not only killed the dog, but admitted it. And even if he didn't, the Falcons have determined they have enough information to waive a 4th round pick who was showing promise. I'd bet dollars to donuts they didn't do that just because. This doesn't look good for him. I hope it all turns out to be untrue, but he's gotta go. I'm glad they cut him.

I hope you are right.

Are you trying to make an employment law argument? One of my clients is a professional football team in California. They are not independent contractors in the eyes of the law, but even so there is nothing stopping an employee being fired either. Being an at will or a contract employee makes little difference.

No I wasn't. As I re-read it I realize it's irrelevant information. I'm just heated on this subject is all.

You're not an employee of the NFL. You're basically an independent contractor giving your services for negotiated pay.

No, he's an employee of the Atlanta Falcons, though. I know that for certain.

No, he's an employee of the Atlanta Falcons, though. I know that for certain.

I appreciate that I'm probably wrong there but that wasn't the point of my post.

Ok say this all turns out to be true. He admits he kicked the dog to death. Someone that sick probably did in fact bully a girl to the point of suicide with no remorse. Despite getting away with it he's such a sick individual he goes and does something like this. There is no helping some people...They are who they are. Crazy but karma comes full circle

You know what? No. There is a difference between what you are saying and what we are saying here. He isn't even that good and he's around here doing this crap. Worst yet, it was a yorkie. Last I checked, Babs was being attacked. Defend a guy who already isn't a good football player, was said (by his own mouth) to have sexually assaulted a young girl...now the report is (by his own admission) he kicked a rodent sized dog to death.

This isn't about casting stones, or judgement. This is about not wanting suck players who do malicious things on your team.

amen

No he's not!

laugh.png

Former employee. The only reason I can say that with certainty is a friend of mine who mediated a lot of my cases a few years ago represented the Atlanta Falcons in workers' compensation claims. So he defended the Falcons against claims filed by players when they were injured. You have to be an employee to receive workers' compensation, hence, Shembo was an employee until about an hour ago or so.

Tuggle, Vicks dogs weren't "bred for companionship".. So I guess that makes this worse than what Vick did?? Time to send Prince to FED prison if that's the case..

Saw the message from the Falcons app with no context and was thinking 'hey, he'll get a shot on another team. Sad to see him go.' but logged into the computer to find out he killed a dog??? F that, animals are family too. Hope he learns from this.

Goodell will ban his sorry a**.....................

The Vick nut huggers still don't get it.......

Vick was convicted of bankrolling a high-stakes gambling interstate dog fighting ring. When he pled guilty to the federal charges, animal cruelty charges were dropped (not for lack of tons of evidence).

According to some testimony, Vick threw family dogs into the pit with the fighters and laughed while they were mauled.
Dogs that couldn’t cut it were beaten and hung.
Jumper cables were attached to ears of underperforming dogs, the other end was attached to the terminals of car batteries before the dogs were tossed into the water. Those dogs scratched and clawed to try to escape. What a horrible way to die.
Around 50 live dogs were found on his Virginia property,many more were found dead and buried.

Smh dude lost his job over this.

Can't wait for him to lose his freedom as well and hopefully get right mentally. He lost his job, the girl lost a friend. Forgive me for not taking his side.

Tuggle, Vicks dogs weren't "bred for companionship".. So I guess that makes this worse than what Vick did?? Time to send Prince to FED prison if that's the case..

Actually, his dog's were bred for companionship, but through years of systematic abuse they were trained to be killers. That is why he went to club FED. You know Pit Bulls used to be referred to as Nanny Dogs?

Tuggle'2 likes this