Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulitik

Prince Shembo Charged With Felony Animal Cruelty

1,087 posts in this topic

Wtf kind of person kills an adorable toy breed of dog? It would be like stomping on a newborn kitten or newborn puppy.. wtf does that kind of crap?

Bawse likes this

Thank you.

I got so tired of trying to educate people about the clear and distinct differences between hunting and what Vick and his friends were doing that I just quit trying.

When I was a teenager in Tennessee the vet I worked for got suspicious of these rural, country bumpkin ***holes who kept bringing in dogs with the same injuries (deep lacerations in the neck area...That's the prime area dogs bred for fighting attack.) Some of the dogs we were able to save, some of them had to be euthanized.

Dr. Greene reported them to the police. They were arrested and convicted of running a dogfighting ring.

I've seen this garbage close up and the people who think nothing of being cruel to animals.

You don't want them living next door to you or interacting with your kids.

Gritz, you are spot on correct. I'm not a hunter. It's not my thing, but I can easily and clearly see the distinction between shooting a wild boar vs kicking a little dog to death. And I'm not the only one. People, by and through their elected members of the legislature, have made the distinction a part of the law.

Two things I've found especially interesting here.

One, if the girlfriend's statements in the police report were true, he admitted killing the dog to her. Which would be incredibly stupid of him.

Two, the Falcons waived him without taking the usual 'let the legal system run its course' approach. Which suggests to me that he admitted killing the dog to them. Also incredibly stupid.

I'm just spitballing on this, but Shembo probably could have beaten this thing easily just by denying the allegation. The man must really be incredibly stupid.

They waived him because he's not worth keeping through the controversy. As you can tell by looking in this thread, the mob has spoken and so he's guilty of all allegations.

Knight of God likes this

do you have faith in the legal system?

Most of the time I do. I know that society would be even more chaotic than it already is if we didn't have a legal system.

People are angry because Shembo was allegedly cruel to an animal. Cruelty is cruelty you cannot separate the to because one is a dog. That's what I'm saying double standard.

Are you aware of recent laws restricting farms from the type of inhumane treatment of livestock? Your outrage is outdated. Tyson was recently fined substantially for substandard living conditions for chickens.

It's not entirely a thing of the past, but the grotesque cruelty to livestock is being dealt with.

paulitik likes this

Yes farm animals benefit society, for the purpose of providing food. You can kill a chicken and you have violated Georgia law. Not the same is true for a dog or a cat. You can continue your off base comparison all you want, but I'll tell you this .. the legislature disagrees with you. I learned this stuff very early in law school ... animal laws and the reasons behind them are discussed in detail, but hey, you keep telling us how full of wisdom you are and how ignorant my position is (even though it is consistent with the laws in all 50 states).

Again, stop the silly comparisons and admit that you just don't care. If it were up to you, people could kill dogs all they want. Shembo was your boy. He's a football player. That's all you need right? I mean a football player vs a dog? Just admit it.

I've said plenty of times that if found guilty he should be punished.I've never said I was full of wisdom just pointing out the double standard that's going on here, and you mean the legislators that get paid off by these big time companies that makes millions off these animals.

So he should have NOT been waived for killing the dog?

Alright, I'm outta here.

Unless the Falcons know more, then I don't think he should have been waived at this time. I am hoping they know something because a man losing his livelihood solely on the word of an ex who literally crafts probable cause perfectly in a police report is not something I'd be comfortable with.

I don't think it is unreasonable to be completely against animal cruelty and completely for due process by both the law and your employer.

Stop comparing livestock and pets bred for companionship. What a horrible thing to put side by side,

Absolutely correct Tuggle. And this fact is reflected when looking at the law of what is a felony and what is not. I've seen these same people claim killing a bug or beheading a poisonous snake is somehow the same as killing the family dog. It's just such an ignorant position that no amount of debate will change. If a person is that ignorant, they will continue to be.

Wtf kind of person kills an adorable toy breed of dog? It would be like stomping on a newborn kitten or newborn puppy.. wtf does that kind of crap?

A sick person. It's not that far of a leap for someone to move on to humans if they feel no remorse or guilt over abusing animals.

Multiple studies have shown that to be true.

AtlantaFanatic and Big Bubba like this

They waived him because he's not worth keeping through the controversy. As you can tell by looking in this thread, the mob has spoken and so he's guilty of all allegations.

Maybe, but I expect there's more. Time was I could have found out for sure, but all I get now is Tampa Bay dirt.

Unless the Falcons know more, then I don't think he should have been waived at this time. I am hoping they know something because a man losing his livelihood solely on the word of an ex who literally crafts probable cause perfectly in a police report is not something I'd be comfortable with.

I don't think it is unreasonable to be completely against animal cruelty and completely for due process by both the law and your employer.

Problem being, he's not that valuable to begin with. If it's Julio Jones, you wait until he's guilty. If it's a 3rd string linebacker, you get rid of the problem before it escalates.

Has he actually even been found guilt? What kind of lunatic would already pin this on him when he hasn't even been found guilt yet? Jesus, that's insane people aren't even waiting until the whole thing is settled. It's absolutely terrifying that there are people will deem you as guilt before the whole thing is settled. Takes a special kind of psycho to not wait until everything is out on the table and wanna throw people in jail.

I'd assume they know more just being up close and personal with the Brian Banks situation.

Purely an assumption though.

I'm usually first to say we should wait and see, and I'll say it now, with this caveat.

The Falcons know something. This happened April 18, she went to the police April 19. They knew this was coming. And my guess is they've independently investigated it. There is no self defense claim -- it was a Yorkie. So he was with the dog, alone, and the dog is dead from what turns out to be blunt force trauma. The girlfriend says he admitted kicking the dog more than once.

Maybe she's lying. Maybe she killed the dog after he broke up with her. Maybe the dog jumped off a bookshelf and hit its head. Maybe the Yorkie gnomes came into his house and bludgeoned the dog to death. But it sure looks like he not only killed the dog, but admitted it. And even if he didn't, the Falcons have determined they have enough information to waive a 4th round pick who was showing promise. I'd bet dollars to donuts they didn't do that just because. This doesn't look good for him. I hope it all turns out to be untrue, but he's gotta go. I'm glad they cut him.

JOEinPHX and paulitik like this

What an idiot. Chalk it up to roid rage or maybe he's just a sociopath. Who knows. Either way, he just cost himself a lot of money for being a moron.

That said, come on down Bruce Irvin. We got a spot waiting for you now.

Has he actually even been found guilt? What kind of lunatic would already pin this on him when he hasn't even been found guilt yet? Jesus, that's insane people aren't even waiting until the whole thing is settled. It's absolutely terrifying that there are people will deem you as guilt before the whole thing is settled. Takes a special kind of psycho to not wait until everything is out on the table and wanna throw people in jail.

The people already calling him guilty are almost as bad as the ones defending animal cruelty.

It's an interesting phenomenon because they're usually on the whitest horses and tallest soapboxes.

Ryan2Julio11 likes this

Are you aware of recent laws restricting farms from the type of inhumane treatment of livestock? Your outrage is outdated. Tyson was recently fined substantially for substandard living conditions for chickens.

It's not entirely a thing of the past, but the grotesque cruelty to livestock is being dealt with.

I watched that video in 2012, I'm just pointing out how society puts dogs and cats on a pedestal compared to other animals.

You're not an employee of the NFL. You're basically an independent contractor giving your services for negotiated pay.

The distraction this causes outweighs the potential benefit he has to the team, therefore it's a simple cost/benfefit analysis. You terminate his contract because the cost outweighs the benefit even if he is found not-guilty of the charges.

Problem being, he's not that valuable to begin with. If it's Julio Jones, you wait until he's guilty. If it's a 3rd string linebacker, you get rid of the problem before it escalates.

I mean, I get that. It's the real world, not some esoteric intangible perfect world. So is true due process, so I can always hope for better without being ignorant of how the world works.

I also think that if it were many other organizations that wouldn't be looking at their 3rd player killing a dog in 7 years, the leash might have been a bit longer.

What is done is done, and it is not like I'm angry at the Falcons, I just hope they know more and didn't simply have a knee jerk reaction to PR and a police report.

So he should have NOT been waived for killing the dog?

Alright, I'm outta here.

Allegedly I stated that if found guilty then he should be fined and suspended.

You're not an employee of the NFL. You're basically an independent contractor giving your services for negotiated pay.

The distraction this causes outweighs the potential benefit he has to the team, therefore it's a simple cost/benfefit analysis. You terminate his contract because the cost outweighs the benefit even if he is found not-guilty of the charges.

Are you trying to make an employment law argument? One of my clients is a professional football team in California. They are not independent contractors in the eyes of the law, but even so there is nothing stopping an employee being fired either. Being an at will or a contract employee makes little difference.