What Will The Identity Of This Team Be During The Dq Era?

j105

Every team in the NFL has an identity. Mike Smith's teams were, for example, quick starters and horrible finishers. They were also very consistent penalty wise, while always lacking a passrush. Also known for choking in big games.

A teams identity not only defines its play but can define the opinion of other fans as well. The saints for example(at least of years past before this sudden roster purge) were always a high-octane offense whos defense was lackluster. Thats how I thought of them despite not knowing every player on their roster.

So what is DQ's team identity going to be? Every team will have weaknesses so make sure to include what you would guess those will be.

I think that we will be a middle of the road defenesive team. Alot of turnovers but struggle against the run. While on offense the passing game will go straight through Julio but struggle to put up the numbers of the past. I hope the new focus on running the ball will counteract this. So essentially a ball-hawking defense that struggles with the run and a one-dimensional(Julio) passing team that can at least put up average running numbers.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully survival of the fittest and some serious competition every year. No sacred cows. No favoritism. Just guys Balling out getting the snaps.

I think we have seen some promising evidense of this so far, and although id have liked to see Baker and Biermann released ill give them a 46th chance lol. But that is definetly one of my hopes as well im on board with you.

Disagree with OP on his 'analysis' of Mike Smith team identity ...how soon some forget 2008-2012?

I like what I hear from Quinn, but way too soon to put a team identity tag to a first year HC who hasn't coached a game yet.

Disagree with OP on his 'analysis' of Mike Smith team identity ...how soon some forget 2008-2012?

I like what I hear from Quinn, but way too soon to put a team identity tag to a first year HC who hasn't coached a game yet.

Well I attributed the choking/lack of penalties to 2008-12. Never said those werent successful teams but that was part of the identity. And Smith was known to show favoritism throughtout his entire tenure. But i digress that wasnt what this post was about. And yes while its probably too early for speculation we still know the roster and coach so its not impractical to make a few guesses.

Edited by j105

I think that we will be a middle of the road defenesive team. Alot of turnovers but struggle against the run. While on offense the passing game will go straight through Julio but struggle to put up the numbers of the past. I hope the new focus on running the ball will counteract this. So essentially a ball-hawking defense that struggles with the run and a one-dimensional(Julio) passing team that can at least put up average running numbers.

What do you guys think?

Well, you label what I fear on offense. With a variety of weapons, and spreading it well, we could easily be a high octane offense with a steady ground game (like the Saints in their more solid years)...but I fear the offense may become one dimensional.

I hope the defense becomes smothering. That's the direction I think they're going. High pressure, high intensity...we're going to force the offense to make mistakes. We'll make some along the way, but we're never going to ease up and let there be easy plays. The football equivalent of a full court press.

So if I were pushed into one direction, I'd say methodical on offense, and the opposite on defense...the defense tries to make it where the other offense can't be methodical...has to go for big plays and mistakes.

"I think that we will be a middle of the road defenesive team. Alot of turnovers but struggle against the run. While on offense the passing game will go straight through Julio but struggle to put up the numbers of the past. I hope the new focus on running the ball will counteract this. So essentially a ball-hawking defense that struggles with the run and a one-dimensional(Julio) passing team that can at least put up average running numbers...."

You think middle of the road defensively? With all the new players, the top defensive line guru and defensive guru in the league? The best pass rusher in the entire draft? I couldn't disagree more. What are your reasons for such a negative, dismal opinion? Any actual reasons you believe that?

And the passing game will go straight through Julio is another dubious statement? It could go through him if he was the only quality receiver on the team, but that's of course not true in the least. I think the passing game could just as easily go through our new slot receiver Justin Hardy. My reason? Because he's a guy that will constantly move the chains, while JJ will continue to be the big-play guy. That's nice but you're not going to throw a 50-yard bomb to JJ every two or three downs, so everything isn't going to go through JJ.

I also disagree this defense will struggle against the run. I think we have the best defensive interior linemen we've had in a while and I think they will do just fine against the run under Quinn's tutelage.

You may be trying to sound all high-brow and analytical with these bs pot shots, but they're trollish and based on zippo.

My opinion? We'll have a top-12 or better defense at season's end, and we'll be a top-five offense. I predict we make the play-offs and win at least two games. I base that on what I've seen, the new roster additions, the new HC and staff, the new aggressive, attacking philosophy, the lack of a dominant team in the NFC South and our very easy schedule.

"I think that we will be a middle of the road defenesive team. Alot of turnovers but struggle against the run. While on offense the passing game will go straight through Julio but struggle to put up the numbers of the past. I hope the new focus on running the ball will counteract this. So essentially a ball-hawking defense that struggles with the run and a one-dimensional(Julio) passing team that can at least put up average running numbers...."

You think middle of the road defensively? With all the new players, the top defensive line guru and defensive guru in the league? The best pass rusher in the entire draft? I couldn't disagree more. What are your reasons for such a negative, dismal opinion? Any actual reasons you believe that?

And the passing game will go straight through Julio is another dubious statement? It could go through him if he was the only quality receiver on the team, but that's of course not true in the least. I think the passing game could just as easily go through our new slot receiver Justin Hardy. My reason? Because he's a guy that will constantly move the chains, while JJ will continue to be the big-play guy. That's nice but you're not going to throw a 50-yard bomb to JJ every two or three downs, so everything isn't going to go through JJ.

I also disagree this defense will struggle against the run. I think we have the best defensive interior linemen we've had in a while and I think they will do just fine against the run under Quinn's tutelage.

You may be trying to sound all high-brow and analytical with these bs pot shots, but they're trollish and based on zippo.

My opinion? We'll have a top-12 or better defense at season's end, and we'll be a top-five offense. I predict we make the play-offs and win at least two games. I base that on what I've seen, the new roster additions, the new HC and staff, the new aggressive, attacking philosophy, the lack of a dominant team in the NFC South and our very easy schedule.

I seem to have struck a nerve. Do you label everyone who has a different opinion a troll? You realize there is a difference between being negative and realistic right?

Every team will have a weakness. Id love for Quinn to come in and win 80 superbowls and never lose a game but come on. I was just asking what people think those strengths/weaknesses will be??

When I refer to middle of the road I don't mean for DQ's whole tenure here. But more specifically for the first few years. I love the Beasley pickup but first year pass rushers struggle. And the pieces added besides him look to be more depth right now than anything. A middle of the road defense would still be a MASSIVE improvement over what we have seen the last couple of years. But to shoot all the way into the top 12 right away? Hopefully at some point but not right away IMO. That being the said the passrush will improve. There has been too much positive change for it not to. This is why I think the ball-hawking label is going to apply. You don't have to be a top-5 D if you are forcing multiple turnovers a game.

As for my Julio comment that's not necessarily a bad thing. Julio probably could carry the passing game if he had to. I just don't see Roddy having the impact he once did. The new and improved running game should more than help make up for it but I still feel the lack of receivers behind Julio will hold the team back. I hope to be wrong. Going back to identities the Roddy/Julio one two punch has been the Falcons go to card for years in terms of how other teams plan for them. It just doesn't hold the same weight now with an ageing White.

Its funny now that I think about it. Kyle Shanahan had in Texas what I believe hes going to have here. A solid ground game mixed with a Schaub to Andre Johnson or in this case Ryan to Julio connection.