Eastern Conference Finals, Game 4: #1 Hawks @ #2 Cavaliers (Cavs Lead 3-0)

Mr.11

gettyimages-474675348.jpg?w=755

After losing three straight to the Hawks in the regular season, the Cavaliers struck back with three straight wins of their own when it counted. The Hawks, who won a franchise record 60 games during the regular season and comfortably secured the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference while the heavily favored Cavaliers lagged considerably behind, the Hawks have not lived up to the billing that their record and regular season performance suggested.

Are the Hawks just experiencing the proverbial slump--the period of adversity that an untested team has to overcome in order to reach new heights? Or are they who many analysts and NBA fans thought they were?

Tonight the Hawks at the very least have to try to save face. Although they're going up against a team with arguably the best player in the league on its roster, the Hawks, even if for a moment, were given the benefit of the doubt due to their selfless, sum-of-its-parts playing style that maximized the strengths of each player while minimizing the weaknesses. For a while, it seemed as though this "superstar-less" team could defy the odds--the prevailing thought among basketball pundits and fans today that a team must have a transcendental player to succeed at the highest level in the NBA. So far, it seems as though those criticisms have been thoroughly validated.

All that being said, the Hawks this year still managed to accomplish what most other teams in its franchise history haven't come close to. They managed to rally a city that had long been taunted for having "fairweather" fans due to a lengthy streak of average and uninspiring seasons. For all that happened--the racist email scandal by the owner, the racially insensitive remarks quoted by Danny Ferry, the Hawks were still able to largely change the perception of the team, of the franchise, and, I dare say, of the city.

So at the very least, win one game for Atlanta. I think it's safe to say that Atlanta is proud of the team's accomplishments this year, and hopefully that will continue in the foreseeable future.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

D@mn, Lebron will be in the NBA Finals for the 5th year straight. Too bad that he soon will be 2-4 in the Finals for his career.

JN12 with the Official game thread it's on now fellas!!!!

Well, some people take longer than others to change their perception. Not executing doesn't necessarily equate to "crumbling under pressure." The Hawks showed a lot of fight in Game 3 considering Korv

Thier is no face to be saved, we are getting swept and have crumbled under pressure like almost every other ATL teams has

Well, some people take longer than others to change their perception. Not executing doesn't necessarily equate to "crumbling under pressure." The Hawks showed a lot of fight in Game 3 considering Korver was out and Horford was ejected early. If that didn't impress you, well then, I don't think anything they do will.

Well, some people take longer than others to change their perception. Not executing doesn't necessarily equate to "crumbling under pressure." The Hawks showed a lot of fight in Game 3 considering Korver was out and Horford was ejected early. If that didn't impress you, well then, I don't think anything they do will.

It's just easier for some to reduce the underwhelming play we've seen to bite size little black and white nuggets for thought. If the Hawks aren't playing well it's because they can't handle the pressure or don't want it enough.

And the team lost it. I don't think we will see Cleveland shoot that bad again this series. It was the teams shot at a win.

Also, I can't believe the team is facing a sweep with Cleveland missing Irving and Love.

Certainly isn't like we're missing 3 critical players. Sefolosha,Carroll,and Korver

Certainly isn't like we're missing 3 critical players. Sefolosha,Carroll,and Korver

Don't you get it, our players aren't as good as those guys so they don't matter. [sarcasm].

I say they matter more to us because we don't have that 'GUY'. Our players are all part of a machine, take out a piece, break another, bend another we just aren't as effective.

Don't you get it, our players aren't as good as those guys so they don't matter. [sarcasm].

I say they matter more to us because we don't have that 'GUY'. Our players are all part of a machine, take out a piece, break another, bend another we just aren't as effective.

That why you get multiple pieces to fufill those roles

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they.......
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

--Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rage at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

--Dylan Thomas

ATL you went deep bro!!!

Hawks-Cavaliers Preview

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio (AP) -- LeBron James hurts everywhere, the King of Pain.

One win from taking the Cavaliers back to the NBA Finals, and one step closer to a title he covets more than any other, James leaned against a padded wall on Monday and hardly resembled basketball's most undeniable force.

"I'm feeling all right," he said, forcing a smile that showed he wasn't being entirely truthful. "I've been better, but I've been worse. I think I've been worse."

James moved slowly and not with his usual grace one day after his brilliant performance in Game 3 lifted Cleveland to a 114-111 win over the Atlanta Hawksin overtime, moving the Cavs within a victory of their first Finals appearance since 2007.

James wore a sleeve on his right calf, which cramped so severely he asked to be taken out Sunday night before re-considering. Instead, he pushed through the pain and delivered 37 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists -- all after an 0-for-10 shooting start -- to help the Cavs take a 3-0 series lead.

He's battered, not beaten. James isn't going to let anything stop him. Not now. Not this close to his fifth straight Finals or a championship.

"When you want to win, you've got to sacrifice your body feeling good," he said. "That's just what it's about."

With a win on Tuesday night, the Cavs can clinch the Eastern Conference title and get some rest before a Finals matchup presumably against Golden State, which leads Houston 3-0 heading into Monday's Game 4. James has been down this path before, but never one so bumpy.

Cleveland's season has been strewn with obstacles: extreme expectations, chemistry issues, trades and injuries, including ones in the postseason to forward Kevin Love and All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving, who has missed the past two games with an injured left knee. James has never been on a team that's had to surmount as much.

Before the season began, James predicted this -- molding a new team into a title contender -- would be the greatest challenge of his career.

"I felt it would be, and it is," he said.

The Cavs need one more win over the rising Hawks, who showed resiliency in Game 3 by overcoming a 10-point deficit in the fourth when they appeared done. One play here, one there and Atlanta wouldn't be in a 3-0 hole that no team in league history has been able to climb from.

Despite overwhelming odds, the Hawks won't quit.

"No matter what happens, we're still going to be confident," forward Paul Millsap said. "We believe in our team. We believe in the guys that we have. We feel like we can do something special, whether this year, next year, whatever. We're going to stick to this. It's not over `til it's over."

For James, the only ending he can envision is winning his third title and ending Cleveland's 51-year championship drought.

"It's been my goal since I got back here, not only to get back, but to win, win the whole thing," he said. "That's my goal. It's part of my drive. That's what it's about."

There are some other subplots heading into Game 4:

IRVING UPDATE

While his teammates got treatment and relaxed after a draining game, Irving went through another vigorous workout as Cleveland's coaching staff and medical team kept a close eye on him.

Cavs coach David Blatt said Irving remains a game-time decision for Tuesday and the team's lead in the series has no bearing on whether he'll play.

"We need Kyrie on the court, and we're not really thinking about resting him as much as we're thinking about him being healthy to play basketball," Blatt said. "We need him on the court, whether we're up 1-0 or 2-1 or 3-0."

SILENT TREATMENT

After making strong inferences they felt Cavs guard Matthew Dellavedova plays dirty, the Hawks were quiet about the subject.

The scrappy Dellavedova got involved in a loose-ball scramble that ended with Atlanta forward Al Horford hitting him with an elbow and being ejected. Following Game 3, Horford said Dellavedova has "gotta learn" to play with more restraint.

Earlier in the series, Dellavedova injured Kyle Korver when he dived on the floor and rolled up on the Atlanta guard's ankle. Korver is out for the rest of the playoffs.

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer was careful with his words about Horford's ejection.

"The officials in our league have a difficult job," he said. "We obviously see it a little differently. But that's part of the game and part of those difficult situations. We're moving forward."

KING'S ENDORSEMENT

Forward Tristan Thompson's value to the Cavs grows daily. With Love out, he's playing more and the four-year veteran, who will be a free agent this summer, has been almost unstoppable on the boards.

"Tristan should probably be a Cavalier for his whole career," James said. "There's no reason why he shouldn't. This guy is 24 years old. He's played in 340-plus straight games, and he's gotten better every single season. It's almost like what more can you ask out of a guy even though we ask for more out of him?"

ESPN loves riding bron's sac, SMFH!!!!!!!!

Archived