Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Julio Jones Has Highest Receiving Yards Per Game In Nfl History

809 posts in this topic

Most of them yeah. Then there are guys like CJ and JJ.

LOL...copying the RB's are a dime a dozen.

Oh yeah, I have to include...how many 1st round WR's in the past two super bowls?

Tuggle'2 likes this

These threads always devolve into the same useless argument...FFS1970 calling JJ a hood ornament, others detracting from his argument with the Gurley argument, him bringing up number of picks, them bringing up how the best RBs rarely go to SBs, blah, blah, blah. Really tiring.

For the record, I do think we could have won the SB in 2012, and there have been both elite WRs and elite RBs on SB teams. Everyone's trying to act like there's only one way to get there, and their way is right...it's about having a great team, not the way you go about getting that great team. As long as you get a great team and the team is capable of winning a SB, it doesn't matter that much how you got there.

There is no right way or winning formula, otherwise everyone would follow it. Our future wasn't bankrupted, we missed our window, Nolan tried to outscheme himself, and unfortunately good ol Smitty came apart at the seams. Things look good going forward, at least on paper. Beasley is a great step towards achieving a championship. I think Gurley would've been a poor choice for this team given RB depth in the draft and who we came away with in the 3rd, but I don't think you have to draft pass rusher early to go to a SB, and I don't think you have to avoid RB in the first to get a SB...it's just an opinion.

We didn't get Gurley so it's a really tired argument, and a useless one, but I guess most arguments are. I don't know what I'm ranting about. I feel old. Crotchety. Annoyed. This discussion is bland. I don't know what I'm trying to say. Blame bourbon.

+1 sir.

Imaginary slow clap also.

Like most here, you don't have a clue what a hood ornament is. It's not a DE, RB or TE. It's a luxury WR. We are the shiny hood ornament poster boys. Dropped five picks and $16M on him. Getting ready to drop $15M a year on him. With roster holes galore. Had holes when we drafted him and still will when we extend him.

It's called being sarcastic old man. Obviously I know what a hood ornament espically with you ******** about it the last couple pages. You might be right that dropping 5 picks on him wasn't smart but do you really think with those picks we would be any further along? TD said we would have drafted Carimi if we stayed put. Did you really trust the staff to hit on the other picks? The reason we have holes is because in the smith era our mid round picks were ****. The Julio trade was the least of our problems.

LOL...copying the RB's are a dime a dozen.

Oh yeah, I have to include...how many 1st round WR's in the past two super bowls?

How many first round QBs were in the last superbowl? Guess drafting a QB in the 1st round is stupid. Lol.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

Ornamental WRs have always been considered a luxury. If your team is solid, then you can afford one. If not, then you're crazy to buy one. Dimi called his mentor BillyCheck and asked him if a trade up for Julio would be a good move. Billy said Hail No! You'd be dumb as hail to do that. Dimi did it anyway. We went 33-31 after that move while Billy picked up another Lombardi . With a $4.3M 7th rounder as his number one WR. :angry:

It's funny that the best season Billy ever had was with a hood ornament. If not for the luckiest play of all time they would have been superbowl champs.

peoriabird likes this

+1

Bump for needed reality check.

What was Atlanta's ppg avg in 2010?

25.9 for top 5 overall.

Definitely a Shiny Hood Ornament deal was done after a 13 win season and top 5 scoring offsense.

You mean the season where we had a pretty decent Scorring defense as well? The same team that was an absolute embarrassment in the playoffs? AGAIN?

How many first round QBs were in the last superbowl? Guess drafting a QB in the 1st round is stupid. Lol.

KOG believes QBs are overrated too though.

laugh.png

It is funny that we got closer to a SB with Julio than with Turner for three years prior. But causation =/= correlation

Tuggle'2 likes this

Guess so. By a ton of these posts going back three years, no one should be taken in the first. We should have a ton of picks in the 4th on down...:P

Tuggle'2 likes this

You mean the season where we had a pretty decent Schering defense as well? The same team that was an absolute embarrassment in the playoffs? AGAIN?

2011 playoffs was embarrassing...0 offensive points with MR, TG, RW and the newly acquired JJ. Explosive was that seasons motto...smdh.

Lmmfao "Shiny hood ornament" what a crock of $hit. In football you need players that can produce,period. It doesn't matter what position , you need them to do their part in order to win. Julio has been a game changer for this team. Something every team needs in some form or fashion. A single player is neither the cause or catalyst for a team's success/struggles but rather part of a bigger picture. The sheer stupidity of calling him a "shiny hood ornament" is beyond comprehension , and goes to prove that these posters have a severe lack of football knowledge and common sense.

A "shiny hood ornament" serves absolutely ZERO purpose and does absolutely nothing to make the car more efficient, powerful, or better in anyway. Julio has made this team better since he has been here. He has produced, he causes teams to account for him every time he lines up on the field. Having someone that is able to cause this type of reaction in other teams is a MUST in the league. It helps to open up the run game, helps to allow other WRs (due to double teams on Julio), takes pressure of the QB, etc. So no, he is not a "shiny good ornament". Perhaps instead of being a contrarian, you should read up on football and educate yourself, instead of being those novelty plastic ballsacks that hang off the rear ends of cars.

peoriabird and DirtyBird8711 like this

These threads always devolve into the same useless argument...FFS1970 calling JJ a hood ornament, others detracting from his argument with the Gurley argument, him bringing up number of picks, them bringing up how the best RBs rarely go to SBs, blah, blah, blah. Really tiring.

Indeed. These Julio threads always devolve into the same tired arguments.

It's just not fair to make those "if" statements, you know that. Otherwise the team one pick ahead of us would have picked Justin Houston, Demarco Murray, Kevin Zeitler, Julius Thomas, and Brandon Boykin. Or the team ahead of them. That just isn't how it works though. I get that you're upset, and I can't blame you since he fits that Shiny Hood Ornament stereotype, but making complete mocks based off of hindsight isn't fair either, yknow?

Had all but one of em on my big board. We could have had all of em. Even Dimi wouldn't have screwed up all five of those picks. There were many more good options on the board.

^Julio was also the only reason we were in that game, imo. When they shut him down we lost.

The whole "Shiny Hood Ornament" theory was made up by CHFF regarding WRs, so he's not wrong. I don't agree that it's always a poor choice, ie: 2012 bringing us so close, but he's not wrong about what it means technically. Just has tunnel vision. Doesn't want to win any way but his way.

so it's a made up name for Wrs like Tuggle said. No matter what every name is made up.

Most of them yeah. Then there are guys like CJ and JJ.

Neither of whom have ever played in a Bowl, let alone win a ring. Edelman and Tate are sporting shiny new rings though.

It's called being sarcastic old man. Obviously I know what a hood ornament espically with you ******** about it the last couple pages. You might be right that dropping 5 picks on him wasn't smart but do you really think with those picks we would be any further along? TD said we would have drafted Carimi if we stayed put. Did you really trust the staff to hit on the other picks? The reason we have holes is because in the smith era our mid round picks were ****. The Julio trade was the least of our problems.

If your GM can't find two or three good players with two firsts, a second and two fourths, then he should either be fired or demoted. Took Artie seven years to figure that out.

We got much closer to a super bowl with Julio than without him.

No, no, no son. We got closer to a Super Bowl with Turner, Abe, Mud Duck, Clabo, etc. Julio's been on this team the last two years. In fact, he was a beast in both seasons. Why didn't we get close to a Super Bowl?

It's funny that the best season Billy ever had was with a hood ornament. If not for the luckiest play of all time they would have been superbowl champs.

BillyCheck has never won a Super Bowl with a shiny hood ornament on his team. He's won four without one though. Splain dat.

KOG believes QBs are overrated too though.

laugh.png

It is funny that we got closer to a SB with Julio than with Turner for three years prior. But causation =/= correlation

It's not funny that we went 10-22 in the last two years with a beastly Julio and no team around him.

2011 playoffs was embarrassing...0 offensive points with MR, TG, RW and the newly acquired JJ. Explosive was that seasons motto...smdh.

Totally embarrassing. Should have had Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray and Julius Thomas on that team.

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

Lmmfao "Shiny hood ornament" what a crock of $hit. In football you need players that can produce,period. It doesn't matter what position , you need them to do their part in order to win. Julio has been a game changer for this team. Something every team needs in some form or fashion. A single player is neither the cause or catalyst for a team's success/struggles but rather part of a bigger picture. The sheer stupidity of calling him a "shiny hood ornament" is beyond comprehension , and goes to prove that these posters have a severe lack of football knowledge and common sense.

A "shiny hood ornament" serves absolutely ZERO purpose and does absolutely nothing to make the car more efficient, powerful, or better in anyway. Julio has made this team better since he has been here. He has produced, he causes teams to account for him every time he lines up on the field. Having someone that is able to cause this type of reaction in other teams is a MUST in the league. It helps to open up the run game, helps to allow other WRs (due to double teams on Julio), takes pressure of the QB, etc. So no, he is not a "shiny good ornament". Perhaps instead of being a contrarian, you should read up on football and educate yourself, instead of being those novelty plastic ballsacks that hang off the rear ends of cars.

LMAO. You got that right. When you put a shiny hood ornament on a car with a piece of sht engine and flat tires, it don't run worth a dam. Exactly what we did. What happened the last two years? 10-22 bro. Good analogy. I see you get it. laugh.png

LMAO. You got that right. When you put a shiny hood ornament on a car with a piece of sht engine and flat tires, it don't run worth a dam. Exactly what we did. What happened the last two years? 10-22 bro. Good analogy. I see you get it. laugh.png

You obviously didn't read the entire post. I'm disagreeing with your stance that Julio is a "shiny hood ornament". He did his part to help the team win. The team as a whole failed the past two years. And since we went 10-22 the past two seasons, the last thing you want to do is let someone go, who did their job despite the cluster f*ck around them.

So you are calling him a shiny hood ornament when he was one of the if not the main reason we were in the San Francisco game? You know the 10 yards from the super bowl game? That's like saying a nitrous booster is gave you the same value in a street race as a hood ornament. Julio was our nitrogen that game but you can't win with just nitrogen