Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Julio Jones Has Highest Receiving Yards Per Game In Nfl History

809 posts in this topic

08 was a good path even though I think we would've lost to Steelers. But a couple of rookie mistakes and defensive breakdowns hurt us that year.

10 we just weren't built well...Turner wasn't the dominating force anymore and Ryan wasn't taking advantage of the single high looks we got. To be fair, Jenkins never found another spot after us so him starting was probably a big problem with that.

11 Turner continued to falter and Julio was raw.

12 was our chance man, pretty much what the team building starting in 08 amounted to. Unfortunately the game we should have won got stolen from us. Complete meltdown in all facets. Think we were the better team, just didn't play at a level we were capable of in the 2nd half, coupled with the silly injuries we got.

Iunno man, we had a team built to win, and I think 12 was the year we had a realistic shot. Just didn't rise to the occasion, gotta hope our core rises the next time we get a shot that good.

What happened in that 49ers game was classic Smitty ball. Instead going with what was working in the 1st half we decided to run, run and pass every series until the 49ers caught up. 49ers knew it too and it showed. When the 49ers decided to start throwing that's when they started moving the ball. Same thing in Seahawks game. Both of them ran the ball in the 1st halfs got down big then starting throwing and because of our lack of pass rush we couldn't stop it. I remember saying to one of my friends that if I were playing against us I would never run the ball. What's underrated about those 2 game was how awesome our passing game was. We played arguably the 2 best defenses in the leauge and dropped 24+ in each game. If we had a average defense we would have been superbowl champs.

These threads always devolve into the same useless argument...FFS1970 calling JJ a hood ornament, others detracting from his argument with the Gurley argument, him bringing up number of picks, them bringing up how the best RBs rarely go to SBs, blah, blah, blah. Really tiring.

For the record, I do think we could have won the SB in 2012, and there have been both elite WRs and elite RBs on SB teams. Everyone's trying to act like there's only one way to get there, and their way is right...it's about having a great team, not the way you go about getting that great team. As long as you get a great team and the team is capable of winning a SB, it doesn't matter that much how you got there.

There is no right way or winning formula, otherwise everyone would follow it. Our future wasn't bankrupted, we missed our window, Nolan tried to outscheme himself, and unfortunately good ol Smitty came apart at the seams. Things look good going forward, at least on paper. Beasley is a great step towards achieving a championship. I think Gurley would've been a poor choice for this team given RB depth in the draft and who we came away with in the 3rd, but I don't think you have to draft pass rusher early to go to a SB, and I don't think you have to avoid RB in the first to get a SB...it's just an opinion.

We didn't get Gurley so it's a really tired argument, and a useless one, but I guess most arguments are. I don't know what I'm ranting about. I feel old. Crotchety. Annoyed. This discussion is bland. I don't know what I'm trying to say. Blame bourbon.

No.11, Jpowers and WornOutFalconFan like this

Texans went 11-21 with hood ornament JJ Watt.. see I can be stupid too.

Like most here, you don't have a clue what a hood ornament is. It's not a DE, RB or TE. It's a luxury WR. We are the shiny hood ornament poster boys. Dropped five picks and $16M on him. Getting ready to drop $15M a year on him. With roster holes galore. Had holes when we drafted him and still will when we extend him.

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

08 was a good path even though I think we would've lost to Steelers. But a couple of rookie mistakes and defensive breakdowns hurt us that year.

10 we just weren't built well...Turner wasn't the dominating force anymore and Ryan wasn't taking advantage of the single high looks we got. To be fair, Jenkins never found another spot after us so him starting was probably a big problem with that.

11 Turner continued to falter and Julio was raw.

12 was our chance man, pretty much what the team building starting in 08 amounted to. Unfortunately the game we should have won got stolen from us. Complete meltdown in all facets. Think we were the better team, just didn't play at a level we were capable of in the 2nd half, coupled with the silly injuries we got.

Iunno man, we had a team built to win, and I think 12 was the year we had a realistic shot. Just didn't rise to the occasion, gotta hope our core rises the next time we get a shot that good.

2010 Turner had almost 1,400 yards.

2011 Turner had 1,340 yards

That's pretty dominate.

Like most here, you don't have a clue what a hood ornament is. It's not a DE, RB or TE. It's a luxury WR. We are the shiny hood ornament poster boys. Dropped five picks and $16M on him. Getting ready to drop $15M a year on him. With roster holes galore. When we drafted him and when we are supposedly extending him.

This is just silly man. The phrase "Shiny Hood Ornament" is just some made up slang. Can mean whatever the heck the user wants it to mean. Calling someone clueless because they don't use your version of a made up slang phrase is ridiculous. lol

What happened in that 49ers game was classic Smitty ball. Instead going with what was working in the 1st half we decided to run, run and pass every series until the 49ers caught up. 49ers knew it too and it showed. When the 49ers decided to start throwing that's when they started moving the ball. Same thing in Seahawks game. Both of them ran the ball in the 1st halfs got down big then starting throwing and because of our lack of pass rush we couldn't stop it. I remember saying to one of my friends that if I were playing against us I would never run the ball. What's underrated about those 2 game was how awesome our passing game was. We played arguably the 2 best defenses in the leauge and dropped 24+ in each game. If we had a average defense we would have been superbowl champs.

What killed us in that game was:

-Safeties getting lit up by a TE

-Run defense getting run over by Frank Gore

-Ryan getting picked on a Roddy slip

-Ryan whiff fumbling a snap

-Dougle tripping on a hash mark

-Ryan forcing the ball to Roddy when TonyG was open

^Julio was also the only reason we were in that game, imo. When they shut him down we lost.

This is just silly man. The phrase "Shiny Hood Ornament" is just some made up slang. Can mean whatever the heck the user wants it to mean. Calling someone clueless because they don't use your version of a made up slang phrase is ridiculous. lol

The whole "Shiny Hood Ornament" theory was made up by CHFF regarding WRs, so he's not wrong. I don't agree that it's always a poor choice, ie: 2012 bringing us so close, but he's not wrong about what it means technically. Just has tunnel vision. Doesn't want to win any way but his way.

These threads always devolve into the same useless argument...FFS1970 calling JJ a hood ornament, others detracting from his argument with the Gurley argument, him bringing up number of picks, them bringing up how the best RBs rarely go to SBs, blah, blah, blah. Really tiring.

For the record, I do think we could have won the SB in 2012, and there have been both elite WRs and elite RBs on SB teams. Everyone's trying to act like there's only one way to get there, and their way is right...it's about having a great team, not the way you go about getting that great team. As long as you get a great team and the team is capable of winning a SB, it doesn't matter that much how you got there.

There is no right way or winning formula, otherwise everyone would follow it. Our future wasn't bankrupted, we missed our window, Nolan tried to outscheme himself, and unfortunately good ol Smitty came apart at the seams. Things look good going forward, at least on paper. Beasley is a great step towards achieving a championship. I think Gurley would've been a poor choice for this team given RB depth in the draft and who we came away with in the 3rd, but I don't think you have to draft pass rusher early to go to a SB, and I don't think you have to avoid RB in the first to get a SB...it's just an opinion.

We didn't get Gurley so it's a really tired argument, and a useless one, but I guess most arguments are. I don't know what I'm ranting about. I feel old. Crotchety. Annoyed. This discussion is bland. I don't know what I'm trying to say. Blame bourbon.

Hold up hoss. I never said JJ Watt was a hood ornament. That was some other clueless clown. Hood ornaments are WRs. Not DEs, RBs or TEs.

There are several ways to win a Lombardi but no one has done it with a hood ornament in tow in a long time. Apparently we are going to try to change that. Better be right.

I would have gone Gurlie, Gregorie and Diggie in the first three rounds. We will see who was right in three years.

Canuck?

Stick with the CFL or NHL. You don't know jacksht about NFL football son.

Oh and Gurley cost one pick and will probably make less than $3M a year.

Julio? Five picks and likely $15M+ on his next Dimi contract.

Gurley will likely have as many or more total yards and TDs.

I know more about football than you and I'm Canadian! Ha! Want some ice for that burn?

^Julio was also the only reason we were in that game, imo. When they shut him down we lost.

The whole "Shiny Hood Ornament" theory was made up by CHFF regarding WRs, so he's not wrong. I don't agree that it's always a poor choice, ie: 2012 bringing us so close, but he's not wrong about what it means technically. Just has tunnel vision. Doesn't want to win any way but his way.

Still a made up phrase by people not so different than us. If it simply cannot mean or include RB and others players to0 then I will make up my own word for it, "BoBoKissyPuss". Done.

I mean Smitty went 33-15 (.688) with Roddy and Jenkins at WR. Then went 33-31 (.516) with the ornament. How is that possible?

+1

Bump for needed reality check.

What was Atlanta's ppg avg in 2010?

25.9 for top 5 overall.

Definitely a Shiny Hood Ornament deal was done after a 13 win season and top 5 scoring offsense.

2010 Turner had almost 1,400 yards.

2011 Turner had 1,340 yards

That's pretty dominate.

Iunno...08 Turner looked HOF. 10 and 11 just looked good. Just how he played I guess, maybe I'm tripping

Ornamental WRs have always been considered a luxury. If your team is solid, then you can afford one. If not, then you're crazy to buy one. Dimi called his mentor BillyCheck and asked him if a trade up for Julio would be a good move. Billy said Hail No! You'd be dumb as hail to do that. Dimi did it anyway. We went 33-31 after that move while Billy picked up another Lombardi . With a $4.3M 7th rounder as his number one WR. angry.png

Ornamental WRs have always been considered a luxury. If your team is solid, then you can afford one. If not, then you're crazy to buy one. Dimi called his mentor BillyCheck and asked him if a trade up for Julio would be a good move. Billy said Hail No! You'd be dumb as hail to do that. Dimi did it anyway. We went 33-31 after that move while Billy picked up another Lombardi . With a $4.3M 7th rounder as his number one WR. angry.png

I know every detail involving the Julio trade that a mere fan can possibly know. Most of us here do. Most of us here have had this conversation 10,000 times already. Most of us here are over it and just enjoy having Julio on the team.

I'll take a Lombardi by any means necessary. Even with a hood ornament on a team with swiss cheese holes. That almost never happens though.

Hold up hoss. I never said JJ Watt was a hood ornament. That was some other clueless clown. Hood ornaments are WRs. Not DEs, RBs or TEs.

There are several ways to win a Lombardi but no one has done it with a hood ornament in tow in a long time. Apparently we are going to try to change that. Better be right.

I would have gone Gurlie, Gregorie and Diggie in the first three rounds. We will see who was right in three years.

JJ meant Julio Jones there, sorry if it was misinterpreted. Don't know how, but meh.

+1

Bump for needed reality check.

What was Atlanta's ppg avg in 2010?

25.9 for top 5 overall.

Definitely a Shiny Hood Ornament deal was done after a 13 win season and top 5 scoring offsense.

Troffed. Gonna get another dose pretty soon.

Iunno...08 Turner looked HOF. 10 and 11 just looked good. Just how he played I guess, maybe I'm tripping

You're tripping. Turner was productive from 2008-2012. Even when he tailed off behind Dimi's Olines in 2011 and 2012 he was getting in the end zone. He scored 22 TDs those two years. SJax scored 13 TDs the next two years. Troffed. Here is some footage of his last two years:

I know every detail involving the Julio trade that a mere fan can possibly know. Most of us here do. Most of us here have had this conversation 10,000 times already. Most of us here are over it and just enjoy having Julio on the team.

Believe it or not, I actually like Julio. He is a beast. But I hate that we gave up five picks we could have used on Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray, Kevin Zeitler, Julius Thomas and Brandon Boykin to get him. I definitely don't want to drop $15M+ a year on him. I'd much rather let him play out his rookie contract at $10.2M then either franchise him, trade him or let him walk in 2016. We could use that $15M+ on two or three players that will make us a better team.

Believe it or not, I actually like Julio. He is a beast. But I hate that we gave up five picks we could have used on Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray, Kevin Zeitler, Julius Thomas and Brandon Boykin to get him. I definitely don't want to drop $15M+ a year on him. I'd much rather let him play out his rookie contract at $10.2M then either franchise him, trade him or let him walk in 2016. We could use that $15M+ on two or three players that will make us a better team.

It's just not fair to make those "if" statements, you know that. Otherwise the team one pick ahead of us would have picked Justin Houston, Demarco Murray, Kevin Zeitler, Julius Thomas, and Brandon Boykin. Or the team ahead of them. That just isn't how it works though. I get that you're upset, and I can't blame you since he fits that Shiny Hood Ornament stereotype, but making complete mocks based off of hindsight isn't fair either, yknow?

You're tripping. Turner was productive from 2008-2012. Even when he tailed off behind Dimi's Olines in 2011 and 2012 he was getting in the end zone. He scored 22 TDs those two years. SJax scored 13 TDs the next two years. Troffed. Here is some footage of his last two years:

Notice I said he was still a good back...he was a Julio level game changer in 08 though. He would carry LBs for 5 yards if you gave him a head of steam through the line. In part the team faltered because he peaked too early, imo.