Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBird8711

Julio Jones Has Highest Receiving Yards Per Game In Nfl History

809 posts in this topic

Hail yeah WRs help teams get to Bowls and in some cases win them. What's the WR's name that made the game winning catch for NYG against NE? Can't remember. Daryl Tyrese or something like that. He definitely wasn't an ornament. There hasn't been one on a championship team in years.

So if a WR can help, doesn't it just stand to reason a better WR helps more? Why is the WR position so different compared to any other position on the team to you?

No single position is shared as a strength by every SB winner, besides QB none are even shared by the majority of SB winners. What is shared by every single SB winner is they have a handful of very good, highly paid players on the team. Whether we have a highly paid QB and WR, with a bunch of lower paid support around them (including rookie-contract players) or a highly paid QB, DE, and LB'er with a bunch of lower paid support players around them, what's the difference? If we let JJ go, we'll need to spend another draft pick on a WR to replace him, maybe not in the 1'st, but somewhere. Why is that better than signing JJ and putting that draft pick into another position and get a cheap but serviceable player there? I just don't follow your logic on this topic man.

So if a WR can help, doesn't it just stand to reason a better WR helps more? Why is the WR position so different compared to any other position on team to you?

No single position is shared as a strength by every SB winner, besides QB none are even shared by the majority of SB winners. What is shared by every single SB winner is they have a handful of very good, highly paid players on the team. Whether we have a highly paid QB and WR, with a bunch of lower paid support around them (including rookie-contract players) or a highly paid QB, DE, and LB'er with a bunch of lower paid support players around them, what's the difference? If we let JJ go, we'll need to spend another draft pick on a WR to replace him, maybe not in the 1'st, but somewhere. Why is that better than signing JJ and putting that draft pick into another position and get a cheap but serviceable player there? I just don't follow your logic on this topic man.

The issue is that WRs touch the ball so few times that the rate of return isn't as good and don't warrant high draft picks unless it is the last piece of the puzzle. Considering how close the the Super Bowl the Falcons after drafting Julio, it seems they made the right move at the time. Looking at the team's decline over 2 seasons the argument can go the other way as well. The Falcons have been pretty good at managing the cap, so a Julio contract isn't all that scary.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

The issue is that WRs touch the ball so few times that the rate of return isn't as good and don't warrant high draft picks unless it is the last piece of the puzzle. Considering how close the the Super Bowl the Falcons after drafting Julio, it seems they made the right move at the time. Looking at the team's decline over 2 seasons the argument can go the other way as well. The Falcons have been pretty good at managing the cap, so a Julio contract isn't all that scary.

Lots of positions don't touch the ball a lot. NT's make a couple tackles a game, usually. That doesn't mean they aren't affecting the game every snap. JJ's presence on the field makes the entire defense do things differently to account for him.

kiwifalcon likes this

So ... I hear Swift is back? This real and worth my time or boy who cried wolf crap? lol

Whenever,, you see some one post. like this . its swift

Whenever,, you see some one post. like this . its swift

I am fairly good at picking him out. Why I asked, because so many are not. They see one negative whiny post and start screaming Swift. emot-doh.gif

I am fairly good at picking him out. Why I asked, because so many are not. They see one negative whiny post and start screaming Swift. emot-doh.gif

Lmmfao Do you ever feel like he wants to be caught?

Tuggle'2 likes this

Lmmfao Do you ever feel like he wants to be caught?

He go's through different levels. One time he'll be trying to blend in and the next he's calling a mods mom a donkey. He is kinda all over the place.

He go's through different levels. One time he'll be trying to blend in and the next he's calling a mods mom a donkey. He is kinda all over the place.

Bipolar much? You'd think after getting banned multiple times people would learn their lesson but I suppose not.

Tuggle'2 likes this

JBfalc, on 26 May 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:snapback.png

Falcons should have drafted Dez Bryant in 2011 as he fell into our laps instead of Weatherspoon. Dez + 5 draft picks >>>>>> Julio Jones and its not close either as Dez is currently better than Julio as of now

Not saying he wasn't a troll, but I don't think this was swift.

swiftdick's sentence would have been "Falcons should have draft Dez 2011 he fell into laps instead of Weatherspoon. Dez + 5 picks >>>>>> Julio Jones its not close either Dez better than Julio now"

His brain moves faster than his short, fat fingers can type so he leaves out words a lot.

Tuggle'2 likes this

swiftdick's sentence would have been "Falcons should have draft Dez 2011 he fell into laps instead of Weatherspoon. Dez + 5 picks >>>>>> Julio Jones its not close either Dez better than Julio now"

His brain moves faster than his short, fat fingers can type so he leaves out words a lot.

I was thinking Phil myself.

Nobody had a hard on for mom beater like swift did. Is he talented? Yes. Were we going to take him a few years after the Vick fiasco? Not a chance.

He did his typical "Haaa" earlier on in the thread. Dead giveaway

Was he ever at any point not a troll?

Tuggle'2 likes this

Swift, is that you?

Tuggle'2 likes this

Was he ever at any point not a troll?

Yeah, a long long time ago. He went after Vick pretty hard, but Ryan not winning the Superbowl his rookie year sent him into a frenzy that hasn't stopped.

Yeah, a long long time ago. He went after Vick pretty hard, but Ryan not winning the Superbowl his rookie year sent him into a frenzy that hasn't stopped.

Ah I remember that. His hatred for Ryan knew no bounds.

Lol no he isn't.

That's not a laughable statement. Dez is arguably the best WR in the NFL among a few others. Julio sure as heck hasn't stayed healthy enough for any stretch to be the undisputed best. I'd take a healthy Julio over Dez all other things considered though.

Hi Swift.

Well, now I know why this thread is so long... emot-yikes.gif

Digga, even if was six mocks with less than 25 unique players, that pales in comparison to what most teams do. Dimi has said himself that they scout thousands of players, run hundreds of mocks and workout dozens of prospects before each draft.

You do realize every team has a big board right? Each of the players on their board has a value. When the bell rings the actual draft never unfolds like any mock. Players rise, players slide and trades happen that affect the order of the draft. That is why they are called mocks. The 2011 draft was no different.

The two players I wanted most in that draft were DeMarco Murray and Justin Houston. Both would have been on the board when we were on the clock in the first two rounds. Both would have been Falcons. Kevin Zeitler and Brandon Boykin would have been selected in the 2012 draft. We would have been a much better team.

If you were so keen on drafting them 1 and 2, you would've mocked it at least once. Bottom line is that you didn't, and everything else you say is based off hindsight.

Gotta step into the new age bro. While their salaries are going up so is the cap. I think your getting fixated on the numbers. A whole slate of guys are lining up to get paid I bet the top 8 contracts goes up in a hurry once Dez, Bey Bey, etc. Sign their new deals.

And none of them are winning rings. Because they're playing on teams with holes they haven't addressed.

Have we addressed our holes? Remains to be seen. We better find out before we drop $15M+ on Julio.

$50M next year may sound rich but we spent $30M on our draft class and mid level free agent class this year. You can burn through $50M in a hurry. What if we need a couple top free agents at other positions next year instead of a bunch of mid level guys?

The Seahawks cut Rice because he sucked after giving him big money. Seahawks gave up a 1st and a 3rd for Harvin and resigned him to a big deal. So the team that's made it to the superbowl in back to back years has invested multiple picks and big money to the WR position. Both of those players weren't even close to Julio in terms of talent. They also just traded a 1st for Jimmy Graham who's essentially another WR (Dude can't block).

Do you think Dallas, Cincy, Pitt and Den are going to let Bryant, Green, Brown and Beybey go? Dallas essentially chose Bryant (WR) over Murray (RB).

The Seahawks blew money and picks on WRs and shut that program down. They built a defense and running game and won a Bowl with Tate as their most productive WR.

And none of them are winning rings. Because they're playing on teams with holes they haven't addressed.

Have we addressed our holes? Remains to be seen. We better find out before we drop $15M+ on Julio.

$50M next year may sound rich but we spent $30M on our draft class and mid level free agent class this year. You can burn through $50M in a hurry. What if we need a couple top free agents at other positions next year instead of a bunch of mid level guys?

No perennial superbowl contender spends 50 mil on in FA. How many superbowl winning teams sign a couple big name FAs? I see you keep mentioning that. Go look at all the superbowl winning teams over the last 10 years and look at there FA acquisitions. The best way to build a team is through the draft and mid level FAs. The difference between us and teams that are perennial superbowl contenders is that they find good talent in the mid rounds. Something we haven't done in the last 8 years.