My Dark Horse For The Starting Left Guard

It's a long shot, but maybe Lamar Holmes can travel the same path as Kelechi Osemele or Orlando Franklin. Both Osemele and Franklin were RTs before their respective coaches saw them as better fits at LG.

A second-round rookie last season, Osemele started all 16 games at right tackle. He was inconsistent during the regular season, but turned in a whale of a performance in the Super Bowl.

Broncos OL Orlando Franklin announced on Twitter that he has been moved from right tackle to left guard.

Franklin spent the last three seasons as Denver's right tackle, showing run-blocking prowess but struggling on an island. Left guard is a better fit for his skill set.

From a physical standpoint and build, all three of them are right along with each other, but from a talent standpoint Osemele is better than all. Holmes can at least be a poor man Osemele if he moves inside and con't to get coached up.

Lamar Holmes

Height: 6053

weight: 323 (dropped some this offseason)

arms: 35 1/4

hands: 9 5/8

40 time: 5.41

10 yard: 1.86 sec

225 BP: 22 reps

Vert jump: 27

Broad jump: 08'08"

20 yd shuttle: 4.80

3 cone: 7.74

Kelechi Osemele

Height: 6054

weight: 333

arms: 35 7/8

hands: 10 1/4

40 time: 5.36

10 yard: 1.87 sec

225 BP: 32 reps

Vert jump: 26 1/2

Broad jump: 08'08"

20 yd shuttle: 4.87

3 cone: 7.91

Orlando Franklin

Height: 6054

weight: 316

arms: 35

hands: 11 1/8

40 time: 5.20

10 yard: 1.89 sec

225 BP: 26 reps

Vert jump: 28 1/2

Broad jump: 08'09"

20 yd shuttle: N/A

3 cone: 8.37

Breakdown: The impact of Gary Kubiak was felt almost instantly, but especially at the guard’s spot where both Yanda and Kelechi Osemele had tremendous years. The development of Ricky Wagner was another reason to celebrate, though the investment in Eugene Monroe didn’t quite pan out.

Stud: The switch to left guard hasn’t hurt Orlando Franklin (+12.0) one bit. He’s looked like a natural.

Edited by Truth B Told (TRU)

He always seemed to me to be better at LT than RT, so it could work. It wouldn't surprise me if it did happen. As for now though, they don't seem to be doing that with him. We'll see if they go that direction during OTAs, starting next week, or the June Mini camp.

stopped reading at Holmes....

Ok I kid, but I don't see it man.

Has the feet for tackle to kickstep and handle pass rushers, but he doesn't move well in space well enough to pull imo. And to be a road grader he needs to completely change his physique and strength levels.

I had high hopes for him, but at this point he needs to get his conditioning right and beat out Sam Baker to stick around. No way he can pull as a guard. Depth Tackle or cut.

stopped reading at Holmes....

Ok I kid, but I don't see it man.

Has the feet for tackle to kickstep and handle pass rushers, but he doesn't move well in space well enough to pull imo. And to be a road grader he needs to completely change his physique and strength levels.

I had high hopes for him, but at this point he needs to get his conditioning right and beat out Sam Baker to stick around. No way he can pull as a guard. Depth Tackle or cut.

Well he did show up in pretty good shape this year. From what I understand he looks pretty fit. If he is I see him beating out Baker, especially if we're talking about RT.

Mike Person is going to be the starting left guard. Hes not really a popular name so fans seem to overlook him.

Also, the team has been signing almost all free agents to one year deals but the chose to sign Person for three years.

When was the last time the Falcons brought in a guard for a visit? I cant think of any. They have brought in plenty of tackles but no guards. We had plenty of opportunities to draft a guard but chose not to.

Mike Person is going to be the starting left guard. Hes not really a popular name so fans seem to overlook him.

Also, the team has been signing almost all free agents to one year deals but the chose to sign Person for three years.

When was the last time the Falcons brought in a guard for a visit? I cant think of any. They have brought in plenty of tackles but no guards. We had plenty of opportunities to draft a guard but chose not to.

I'm just glad Quinn is having them compete and not handing someone the position because of name or draft position.

I could care less who starts. As long as its the best five. And that we have decent play coming off the bench. The injuries of the last few years actually might be a small blessing moving forward. We have created a bunch of middling talent with a few solid pieces. Depth won't be our issue.

Though I don't know for sure, I agree with this ^^^.

The Person signing was a quick and silent affair. His four-year tenure in the NFL has not been marked with great success, but Shanahan knows him well. Your observation that Person was signed to a 3-year deal and that we have been chasing depth at OT, leads me to believe that Person is the front runner for the LG position.

Holmes has the body to play OT. Hopefully, he has worked hard in the off season. He has plenty of competiion at the Tackle spot.

Though I don't know for sure, I agree with this ^^^.The Person signing was a quick and silent affair. His four-year tenure in the NFL has not been marked with great success, but Shanahan knows him well. Your observation that Person was signed to a 3-year deal and that we have been chasing depth at OT, leads me to believe that Person is the front runner for the LG position.Holmes has the body to play OT. Hopefully, he has worked hard in the off season. He has plenty of competiion at the Tackle spot.

Yeah its hard to know for sure but at this point it seems to be his job to lose.

Mike Person has been lining up as the Falcons' starting left guard at OTAs.

Signed to a three-year, $3.35 million deal in the offseason, Person has never started an NFL game and only appeared in 17 since entering the league as a 2011 seventh-rounder. With Peter Konz and Sam Baker still recovering from injuries, Person will certainly face competition. He's no lock to even make the roster.

May 22 - 8:28 AM

Holmes just needs to be released. No ZBS, weight lost, or new coaching staff is gonna fix his problem. We need to rebuild the whole offense line.

Not entirely true. Holmes was much improved last year before getting hurt. If he is really and truly n shape this year, he CAN be good.

This thing with Holmes is disturbing.

But he can redeem himself,,,,,,,,,Maybe ,,, but I doubt it!

we will have to wait and see.

Holmes at LG?,,

These big ol horses are best on the Strong side which puts him

at Right Guard.

Konz has possibly a better size to play Left Guard but again WTF knows

about Konzy, right?

Lets revisit this topic after the Dress Rehersal (Pre Season Game 3)

Maybe ol Unky Karst will be proved wrong? (would be a welcomed first)

Holmes' strength is his agility, he's very good at riding guys out of plays around the pocket. He wouldn't be able to do that as a guard. I really do not think he would do well there at all.

But isn't that kind of the point of a ZBS? To move around, be agile, and more-so move guys out of their spots instead of just stonewalling them in the pocket?

Maybe I don't know how to football on the O-line....that's probably more likely.

But isn't that kind of the point of a ZBS? To move around, be agile, and more-so move guys out of their spots instead of just stonewalling them in the pocket?

Maybe I don't know how to football on the O-line....that's probably more likely.

That's true in the running game, in pass blocking there's minimal difference between power and zone schemes.