Pff: Qb's Against The Blitz

st. diehard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanenhill... at $20mil / season...

...always ranked somewhere in the middle to bottom half of every PFF article.

Cam and Wilson bout to be making $30+ mil / season.

Pay them!

;) $30M for being 9th best in the league against the blitz? Is that a good scale in pay? Looks like the 15th best against the blitz is getting over $20M a year.

wink.png $30M for being 9th best in the league against the blitz? Is that a good scale in pay? Looks like the 15th best against the blitz is getting over $20M a year.

The question is...

Is Cam worth it? Would Panthers fans be happy if they signed him for $30mil/season?

The question is...

Is Cam worth it? Would Panthers fans be happy if they signed him for $30mil/season?

That's the thing with me.......... I don't care if they give him $1M a year or $35M a year. As long as he remains a Panther, I am happy. There is Electricity in the air when he is on the field and the guy is so much fun to watch. That kind of atmosphere can't be duplicated.

That's the thing with me.......... I don't care if they give him $1M a year or $35M a year. As long as he remains a Panther, I am happy. There is Electricity in the air when he is on the field and the guy is so much fun to watch. That kind of atmosphere can't be duplicated.

$35 mil a year and you'll be fielding a d3 college team around him.

$35 mil a year and you'll be fielding a d3 college team around him.

I think he'll get around $23M-$25M a year. With us, or with some other team. Like I said, the only thing that would p1ss me off, is if he's not a Panther anymore.

That kind of stadium atmosphere can't be replaced. I've learned that from my experiences in the Georgia Dome during the Vick era and the Ryan era. Ryan is a good qb and the Falcons had won more than they ever have with b2b2b2b winning seasons...but the atmosphere pales in comparison to what it once was in the Vick era. Those that experienced it (both eras) also, know I'm being for real and not just trying to take a dig at Ryan.

I think he'll get around $23M-$25M a year. With us, or with some other team. Like I said, the only thing that would p1ss me off, is if he's not a Panther anymore.

That kind of stadium atmosphere can't be replaced. I've learned that from my experiences in the Georgia Dome during the Vick era and the Ryan era. Ryan is a good qb and the Falcons had won more than they ever have with b2b2b2b winning seasons...but the atmosphere pales in comparison to what it once was in the Vick era. Those that experienced it (both eras) also, know I'm being for real and not just trying to take a dig at Ryan.

To me winning the SB must always be the objective.

And neither Ryan nor Cam is the reason your teams haven't won it all. Both are capable with the right supporting cast. But I also rank neither as elite.

Cam has been one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz since he came into the league... but yeah, you know, can't read defenses and all that. His very first career TD pass was where he saw a blitz coming before the snap and called an audible.

****, I think for a stretch in 2013 he was the best by far against the blitz and had like an absurd 125 passer rating on 3rd down up until he hurt his ankle around that first Saints or Jets game (forgot which it was) and then lost Steve Smith the next game.

Cam has been one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz since he came into the league... but yeah, you know, can't read defenses and all that. His very first career TD pass was where he saw a blitz coming before the snap and called an audible.

****, I think for a stretch in 2013 he was the best by far against the blitz and had like an absurd 125 passer rating on 3rd down up until he hurt his ankle around that first Saints or Jets game (forgot which it was) and then lost Steve Smith the next game.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with his feet at all, right?

Horse legs bro

His name is Aaron Rodgers bro

Yeah, he's the best QB in the league, and has been for a while. What about him?

So are we arguing semantics now? That's why I said "highly" mobile QBs... the ones that Cam is usually grouped with: Wilson, Kaepernick, and RG3. Rodgers is very mobile, but not to the same extent those guys are.

So are we arguing semantics now? That's why I said "highly" mobile QBs... the ones that Cam is usually grouped with: Wilson, Kaepernick, and RG3. Rodgers is very mobile, but not to the same extent those guys are.

Cams sucks bro

I personally think Brady is the best, though I do think you can make an argument for Rodgers.

It is true however, that out of pocket mobility isn't necessarily an indicator a QB will perform great against the blitz. 'Pocket Mobility' is very helpful against it, but there isn't really a pattern of guys who extend the play performing better against the blitz.

In looking at the top 5, you see 2 guys who do extend the play well(Rodgers, Luck) and 3 who don't. Brady and Brees may be the league's 2 best at 'pocket mobility', Brady is seemingly the best at the short passing game as well.

Doing well against the blitz is seemingly more mental than physical, it's about being able to make good decisions of where to throw, while being hurried.

I personally think Brady is the best, though I do think you can make an argument for Rodgers.

It is true however, that out of pocket mobility isn't necessarily an indicator a QB will perform great against the blitz. 'Pocket Mobility' is very helpful against it, but there isn't really a pattern of guys who extend the play performing better against the blitz.

In looking at the top 5, you see 2 guys who do extend the play well(Rodgers, Luck) and 3 who don't. Brady and Brees may be the league's 2 best at 'pocket mobility', Brady is seemingly the best at the short passing game as well.

Doing well against the blitz is seemingly more mental than physical, it's about being able to make good decisions of where to throw, while being hurried.

Exactly.

They were just itching to get in a "lol Cam sucks... of course he's good against the blitz, he's a running back" diss in so bad they didn't even realize what they were talking about. If Cam is, and has been every year, one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz... then why do the other "running QBs" struggle against it?

I'll give you the answer: Cam is the only one out of those I mentioned that actually runs a pro-style offense where he goes through all of his reads (if he has time) and back to his first if needed. He reads the defense before the snap and changes the play based on what he sees. He's not being told where to go with the ball every play like RG3 year 1, and Kaepernick his whole career, and he doesn't run a backyard football offense like Wilson where he hands it off to a beast running back, which opens up huge plays where he and his receivers run play action roll out scramble drills for huge plays downfield. Our offense is a pro offense with read option sprinkled in. It's not a gimmick like the others.

Cam definitely has his flaws (overthrowing and throwing off his back foot being huge ones), but he actually plays QB - including the mental part, despite what people around here have led themselves to believe by repeating it over and over.

The only other mobile QBs higher than Cam are Luck and Rodgers... and they both also obviously run pro style offenses.

One more flaw, throwing the ball as if he is the pitcher in the World Series. With proper ball control there is no excuse for an 80mph ball that even Iron Man would drop. He may be improving some in this category. It seems he has graduated to mainly doing this when he is being hurried. Early on it seemed he was trying to throw the ball as hard as possible on purpose like a kid showing off. Control still seems to be a big problem for him. You can have the accuracy of a sniper, but if the ball is dropped frequently from lack of control it's a wasted play.

One more flaw, throwing the ball as if he is the pitcher in the World Series. With proper ball control there is no excuse for an 80mph ball that even Iron Man would drop. He may be improving some in this category. It seems he has graduated to mainly doing this when he is being hurried. Early on it seemed he was trying to throw the ball as hard as possible on purpose like a kid showing off. Control still seems to be a big problem for him. You can have the accuracy of a sniper, but if the ball is dropped frequently from lack of control it's a wasted play.

Yeah, that's another one I have problems with and just forgot to mention... he's gotten better at it gradually from season-to-season, but still definitely one of the areas he needs to improve on. Even Jason Avant, who is largely known for his hands, was dropping perfectly placed balls from Cam (though that also goes both ways... WR's at this level should catch balls that hit them between the numbers). Honestly, when Cam gets a clean pocket, with time to go through his reads and step up into the pocket, he's a pretty good pocket QB. Just sometimes after he gets pressured a bit his mechanics start to go to sh*t and he'll start fading away and throwing rockets off his back foot that go way high. It's sort of like a snowball effect, and he has trouble getting settled back down at times it seems. A culmination of all those things is his biggest problem.

His touch is still well below-average. Though, that arm strength is an advantage at times as well, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword. I don't know if he'll ever fully fix it... a lot of guys with that level of arm strength seldom do since they're able to solely rely on it to do things other QB's can't... but if he does learn when to loft it and when to laser it, combined with his running ability he'll be pretty d*mn hard to stop. He sort of teased us at the beginning of the season (before he started running and was confined in the pocket due to the ankle and ribs) by showing progress in this area. Once he started running again, and the offensive line started to fall apart his mechanics just completely went to sh*t for a stretch there.

I still cut him some slack because he's essentially been learning the QB position on the fly while in the NFL. He's not like 95% of other QBs that come in somewhat polished and start right after being drafted. He only had one year of experience (in a gimmick spread offense at that) starting in the NCAA. He'd never even taken a snap from under center until we drafted him. He was touted by everyone as being basically the rawest 1st round QB prospect ever, and we seem to forget that due to how quick he hit the ground running his rookie year. The only reason he was even considered a 1st round talent was the ridiculous upside and potential. He's gradually getting better at the intricacies of the position every year. Will he ever reach his full potential? Maybe. Maybe not.

Exactly.

They were just itching to get in a "lol Cam sucks... of course he's good against the blitz, he's a running back" diss in so bad they didn't even realize what they were talking about. If Cam is, and has been every year, one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz... then why do the other "running QBs" struggle against it?

I'll give you the answer: Cam is the only one out of those I mentioned that actually runs a pro-style offense where he goes through all of his reads (if he has time) and back to his first if needed. He reads the defense before the snap and changes the play based on what he sees. He's not being told where to go with the ball every play like RG3 year 1, and Kaepernick his whole career, and he doesn't run a backyard football offense like Wilson where he hands it off to a beast running back, which opens up huge plays where he and his receivers run play action roll out scramble drills for huge plays downfield. Our offense is a pro offense with read option sprinkled in. It's not a gimmick like the others.

Cam definitely has his flaws (overthrowing and throwing off his back foot being huge ones), but he actually plays QB - including the mental part, despite what people around here have led themselves to believe by repeating it over and over.

The only other mobile QBs higher than Cam are Luck and Rodgers... and they both also obviously run pro style offenses.

He is the best 'pocket QB' among himself, Wilson, Kaep and RG3. Wilson I do think is more effective, but if Wilson wasn't mobile imo he would be AWFUL. His mobility and threat to run help set up those plays down field, and he isn't the type to stand in the pocket and be an effective passer.

If they weren't mobile, Cam would be the most effective of the 4, and he does do good against the blitz.

To Wilson's credit though, he is probably the best passer of the other 3, and is actually a pretty effective QB. With Kaep, if you shut down his running lanes he probably won't be successful, Wilson however will exploit the passing lanes that open up if teams devote special attention to stopping Lynch/Turbin, or his own runs.

However, without his mobility, he would probably be terrible.