Matt Williamson Doesn't Like Falcons Team

Falcons have had solid offseason, ESPN experts say

• Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer

The Atlanta Falcons have fared well this offseason, if you ask ESPN analysts Bill Polian, Louis Riddick, Matt Williamson and Field Yates.

ESPN Insider released its offseason grades for each team, and the Falcons finished well above average. To see the actual letter grade, you'll have to go here. The Falcons did, however, earn the top grade in the NFC South.

At least one expert thought the Falcons could have done a lot more. Here is Matt Williamson's analysis from the piece:

"It seems like everyone is praising their draft and I get that, but I still see a team with lots of holes. The line is just OK. They have no tight end. They will not be substantially better on defense. Coleman was a poor pick in the third round even though they need help at running back. I am not sure where they are better."

On paper, the Falcons appear to be better suited to pressure opposing quarterbacks with the additions of pass-rusher Vic Beasley and his Clemson teammate, high-motor defensive tackle Grady Jarrett. And Coleman seems poised to contribute in the run game immediately after rushing for more than 2,000 yards at Indiana last season.

As far as the veterans, Jacob Tamme, though undersized, has impressed his teammates during workouts and could give the Falcons a true pass-catching threat at tight end. Pass-rusher O'Brien Schofield, if healthy, could be a nice complement to Beasley. Teammates have marveled over Schofield's speed off the edge thus far.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/13516/falcons-have-had-solid-offseason-espn-experts-say

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone ever fill all their holes in a draft where you average 7 picks, and may get 2-3 starters out of if it's a great draft?

This is moronic nitpicking.

And what's with the Tevin Coleman hate? I didn't know a lot about him prior to the draft, but 2K yards behind a crap line, and a career game against the National Championship winners isn't a bad thing.

At least one expert thought the Falcons could have done a lot more. Here is Matt Williamson's analysis from the piece:

"It seems like everyone is praising their draft and I get that, but I still see a team with lots of holes. The line is just OK. They have no tight end. They will not be substantially better on defense. Coleman was a poor pick in the third round even though they need help at running back. I am not sure where they are better."

throne_of_lies_elf.gif

I think the guy is wrong about the Coleman pick. Seems perfect for what we are trying to do.

Our TE situation scares me. I feel like toilolo is going to do nothing but hurt us if we keep thinking he will be something he is not. He is zero threat in pass game and he is not even athletic. He runs awkward and flat footed. He also can't catch. Looks like a big Oof.

I wish the new tony could stay healthy because he really does have skills to start and be a threat. Him healthy is a dream it seems tho.

First he says

"Coleman was a poor pick in the third round even though they need help at running back. I am not sure where they are better."

Then he says

And Coleman seems poised to contribute in the run game immediately after rushing for more than 2,000 yards at Indiana last season.

So he's saying that 2014 Steven Jackson > Tevin Coleman

Well I agree that our offensive line is just ok. We won't know what we have until all of the injured guys are back on the field.

I disagree that Tevin Coleman was a poor pick. He is tailor made for the type of offense Shanny and Quinn wants to run.

I also think Tamme is very underrated and will surprise some folks with his ability to catch the ball and run routes.

We will definitely be a better team than we were last year.

Well I agree that our offensive line is just ok. We won't know what we have until all of the injured guys are back on the field. I disagree that Tevin Coleman was a poor pick. He is tailor made for the type of offense Shanny and Quinn wants to run. I also think Tamme is very underrated and will surprise some folks with his ability to catch the ball and run routes. We will definitely be a better team than we were last year.

Agreed. I actually was happy with the Tamme signing. He's not a stud by any means but he's decent.

Pretty spot on analysis. People just can't handle the truth. Proof is in the pudding. The pudding in this case being 8-8 at best. Bank that.

Even if it's an 8-8 season it's still twice as good as last year and a vast improvement.

But **** do I hope you are wrong bro

Pretty spot on analysis.

People just can't handle the truth.

Proof is in the pudding.

The pudding in this case being 8-8 at best.

Bank that.

An 8-8 season would still mean that the Falcons improved, which would prove that guy wrong about not seeing the Falcons doing anything to get better.

8-8 would have won the NFC South last season easily.