Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconFanSince1969

Goodell Changing The Game.....again

123 posts in this topic

MISSED PAT'S BY NOTABLE KICKERS

John Kasey - 11

Tony Zendejas - 11

Morten Andersen - 10

Adam Vinatieri - 10

Al Del Greco - 8

Jason Hanson - 8

Pat Summerall - 8

David Akers - 7

Gary Anderson - 7

Scott Norwood - 7

Norm Johnson - 6

Olindo Mare - 6

Matt Bryant - 5

Pete Stoyanovich - 5

Todd Peterson - 3

Matt Stover - 3

John Kasey - 11

Tony Zendejas - 11

Morten Andersen - 10

Adam Vinatieri - 10

Al Del Greco - 8

Jason Hanson - 8

Pat Summerall - 8

David Akers - 7

Gary Anderson - 7

Scott Norwood - 7

Norm Johnson - 6

Olindo Mare - 6

Matt Bryant - 5

Pete Stoyanovich - 5

Todd Peterson - 3

Matt Stover - 3

According to some, those are chip shots.

Do you not know that the PAT has not always been a 99% conversion rate? It only became that way as kickers became better and more skilled. Back in the day it was no guarantee. There were quite a few missed PATs and FGs.

Back in the day (way back), a PAT was worth more points than a TD. If regression is the objective here, let's not half-*ss it. Let's really go all out.

Penalties on the extra point will be huge now.

Just imagine celebration penalties now, those will be put on the extra point instead of the kickoff and then you're looking at a 48-yard extra point! Ouch!

John Kasey - 11

Tony Zendejas - 11

Morten Andersen - 10

Adam Vinatieri - 10

Al Del Greco - 8

Jason Hanson - 8

Pat Summerall - 8

David Akers - 7

Gary Anderson - 7

Scott Norwood - 7

Norm Johnson - 6

Olindo Mare - 6

Matt Bryant - 5

Pete Stoyanovich - 5

Todd Peterson - 3

Matt Stover - 3

Lol, those are career stats. The funniest part is if you add up all those career misses, you will still arrive at a figure less than the number of PATs that will be missed in the 2015 season alone.

Lol, those are career stats. The funniest part is if you add up all those career misses, you will still arrive at a figure less than the number of PATs that will be missed in the 2015 season alone.

Yes those are career stats. I never said any different.

I don't really see why missing a PAT matters anyway. Both teams are still kicking from the same distance, if one misses a PAT the other team has the same chance to miss theirs too, meaning TD's aren't devalued any more. All it does it make kickers more important, which is good.

I don't really see why missing a PAT matters anyway. Both teams are still kicking from the same distance, if one misses a PAT the other team has the same chance to miss theirs too, meaning TD's aren't devalued any more. All it does it make kickers more important, which is good.

I wonder how he feels about games where teams lost a game by 1 point in the pre 1994 NFL?

I'd like to see kickoffs done like a big oklahoma drill. All 22 men have to lie down and the ref blows a whistle to start the play. Everybody jumps up and the kicker has to run kick it before the defenders can close the gap and block it. Now that would be exciting.

I wonder how he feels about games where teams lost a game by 1 point in the pre 1994 NFL?

Already addressed in this thread. You guys can go and ahead and drop the "cooper is just an old fuddy duddy who doesn't like change" tune from your playlist.

Besides, I'm not the one posting stats from "back in the day" to justify why having to tack on a 33 yard FG make to a TD just to arrive at 7 points is such a good thing for the game.

Are you saying that if a team lines up for 1-point at the 15 but has to improvise due to a bad snap or just decides to challenge themselves with an extra 13 yards, it always counts as 1 point? Seems to me that it's one point if they kick it through the uprights or 2 points if someone crosses the goal line with ball in hand whether it be from the 2 or the 15.

That is the point of my original post. I eagerly await the coach who calls a fake one point try and goes for 2 from the 15 yard line. I had in fact read the part where that coach could have made the attempt from the two. After that first 15 yard two pointer I expect one or two point leads to be defended against 2 point conversions by a compressed version of the Hail Mary defense.

Already addressed in this thread. You guys can go and ahead and drop the "cooper is just an old fuddy duddy who doesn't like change" tune from your playlist.

Besides, I'm not the one posting stats from "back in the day" to justify why having to tack on a 33 yard FG make to a TD just to arrive at 7 points is such a good thing for the game.

I didn't see what you had to say about it and I was just posting the stats for your benefit that a PAT hasn't always been a 99% conversion rate and that it going down in 2015 because they moved it back doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

WTLF?

Simple question, I'll ask it again since you made it personal and said I don't "understand the game". How many NCAA/College Football Varsity Letters do YOU have?

I'd like to see kickoffs done like a big oklahoma drill. All 22 men have to lie down and the ref blows a whistle to start the play. Everybody jumps up and the kicker has to run kick it before the defenders can close the gap and block it. Now that would be exciting.

Sort of like the old XFL Coin Toss?

kingslasher likes this

That is the point of my original post. I eagerly await the coach who calls a fake one point try and goes for 2 from the 15 yard line. I had in fact read the part where that coach could have made the attempt from the two. After that first 15 yard two pointer I expect one or two point leads to be defended against 2 point conversions by a compressed version of the Hail Mary defense.

So if a coach/team declares they are going to try for the 1pt kick, and then they run a play that goes into the endzone, would they get 1 or 2 pts? I hadn't actually thought of that before you mentioned this, but I'm not clear on the specifics of the new rule, so I don't know how a situation like that would be handled.

So if a coach/team declares they are going to try for the 1pt kick, and then they run a play that goes into the endzone, would they get 1 or 2 pts? I hadn't actually thought of that before you mentioned this, but I'm not clear on the specifics of the new rule, so I don't know how a situation like that would be handled.

In the past, if you botch the PAT and the placeholder (or whomever) has to run it in, you get 2 instead of the 1, right? I imagine it would remain the same, if you punch it in you get 2 points, regardless of how you originally line up.

In the past, if you botch the PAT and the placeholder (or whomever) has to run it in, you get 2 instead of the 1, right? I imagine it would remain the same, if you punch it in you get 2 points, regardless of how you originally line up.

Thank you.

I think it will be very rare for a team to try it from 15 yards out. After all, there's a reason why coaches are much more willing to go for it on 4th and 2 than 4th and 15. I just can't really see anyone putting the ball 13 yards back purposefully, even to set up a trick play.

I think it will really only happen when the snap is botched and they are forced to do it. Even if it is tried occasionally, I think, statistically, that teams would be better off lining up to try to block the kick rather than the slim chance that someone will try this and succeed.

This is definitely going to change the feel of games. Scoring a TD is no longer a 7 point gimme. After every score you're still going to have to be on the edge of your seat to see if they make the extra point. So many games will be decided on botched kicks. I don't mind it personally, but it's definitely going to feel different.