Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconFanSince1969

Goodell Changing The Game.....again

123 posts in this topic

Yes. It used to be, for all intents and purposes, an automatic 7 points. Now it's not so automatic.

Considering there are roughly 40 extra point attempts per team each year on average, and the league success rate for kicking attempts in the 30 to 40 yard range is about 90%, we will be looking at 3 to 4 missed PAT attempts per team per season.

Lets say one of those misses were to occur in the playoffs after a team had just driven the length of the field in the final seconds for a game tying TD. The focus now shifts from the QB and the offense - who in previous seasons would have been celebrated for the game-winning drive - to the kicker who blew the season.

The focus of this game should never be on kickers.

Football is the quintescential TEAM sport. That is a big part of why it is the best game on the planet.

The focus should be on the entire team....not just on a flashy WR or movie star-like QB. Kickers are part of the team and should be held accountable for winning games.

Additionally, teams will now have to balance the value of going for two, or risking a missed extra point.

Let the second-guessing begin.

Don't like it worth a dam. Where exactly are we going?

Been watching NFL Football since the mid sixties. It was fine back then.

Buddy is the worst commish I've ever seen. Give me Rozell or Tag over Goody. Any day. He sucks monkey balls. Trust me.

FFS1970,

I am as old as you. The game has changed for the better. Let the process continue.

I like the change. Defense should have the ability to score on every play. Remember when Troy Polumolu used to time the snap count and jump over the LOS?? That was exciting!

Plays like that will have a higher payoff now. This will make the game more competitive - something the NFL has been getting away from lately. It should pay to have a good defense and a relentless pass rush, even on special teams.

Now if they only change the kickoff and tackling rules to the way it used to be....lol doubt that happens!

Yes. It used to be, for all intents and purposes, an automatic 7 points. Now it's not so automatic.

Considering there are roughly 40 extra point attempts per team each year on average, and the league success rate for kicking attempts in the 30 to 40 yard range is about 90%, we will be looking at 3 to 4 missed PAT attempts per team per season.

Lets say one of those misses were to occur in the playoffs after a team had just driven the length of the field in the final seconds for a game tying TD. The focus now shifts from the QB and the offense - who in previous seasons would have been celebrated for the game-winning drive - to the kicker who blew the season.

The focus of this game should never be on kickers.

Sorry that you feel kickers aren't a part of a football team but they are and lots of games in NFL history have been won or loss because of kickers. This does nothing to change that, also touchdowns have always been worth 6 points, not 7. I don't know where you get that idea at.

aerosmith67 and Lornoth like this

You'll find out once the playoffs start and some team loses because their kicker couldn't convert the "PAT" after his offense busted their tail to drive for a TD.

In the past, it was, "We need a TD to win it." Going forward, it will be, "We need a TD... PLUS a 33 yard high pressure kick to win it." Why don't we just go ahead and add a roulette wheel spin in there. Maybe a coin flip as well. That would certainly make the whole after-TD ritual more "exciting."

A kick isn't a coin flip... it's no different than a QB having to make a throw or a WR needing to make a big catch. Everybody on the team has to play well to win, that's how it's always been, it shouldn't be different for kickers.

Falconsfan567 likes this

They have their place, yes. They should not be a factor when it comes to an offense scoring TDs.

There certainly should never be allowed the chance that a nervous kicker could render non-existent the next "The Catch" or the next "The Drive."

The Catch only tied the game the PAT has always been the deciding factor. The Drive was a game won in OT by a Kicker. Both of these games were decided by the Kicker in the end and would still be considered great regardless.

Don't like it worth a dam. Where exactly are we going?

Been watching NFL Football since the mid sixties. It was fine back then.

Buddy is the worst commish I've ever seen. Give me Rozell or Tag over Goody. Any day. He sucks monkey balls. Trust me.

Says every old man to ever walk the face of the Earth... "back in my day..."

I'm sure this was great too when it's all you had to watch:

1960-Philco-TV-Ad.JPG

The NCAA was looking into eliminating the PAT all together in the early 2000's. This will be an improvement on the game. Special Teams is an important part of the game of football, it usually the deciding factor in most games it should be a challenging aspect of the game and the NFL is trying to do just that.

I have a feeling the same people complaining about this rule would have complained regardless. The options were, keep it the same (which clearly the owners didn't want), shrink the goal posts, move the line of scrimmage or eliminate it all together. They made the right choice.

The OWNERS changed the game. Yall swear Goodell is a dictator tyrant lol.

Sorry that you feel kickers aren't a part of a football team but they are and lots of games in NFL history have been won or loss because of kickers. This does nothing to change that, also touchdowns have always been worth 6 points, not 7. I don't know where you get that idea at.

And I don't know where you got the idea that the word "effectively" means "literal." Or that my saying that kickers have their place means that I believe they are not a part of a football team.

Bottom line: When the success rate of a PAT attempt from the 2 yard line is 99% - which it is - then that means a TD/PAT before 2015 was worth 7 points 99% of the time. Which basically makes a pre-2015 TD worth at least 7 points.

I mean, remind me again why they changed the rule? Wasn't it because the PAT was considered to be automatic and merely an obligatory gesture that had no discernible impact on games?

The Catch only tied the game the PAT has always been the deciding factor. The Drive was a game won in OT by a Kicker. Both of these games were decided by the Kicker in the end and would still be considered great regardless.

Yes, The Catch was decided by a 2-yard chip shot formality. You definitely get how the game works.

A kick isn't a coin flip... it's no different than a QB having to make a throw or a WR needing to make a big catch. Everybody on the team has to play well to win, that's how it's always been, it shouldn't be different for kickers.

I have no problem with a game being won or lost by a kicker on a standard FG attempt. I have a problem with a kicker being a significant factor in whether or not a team scores 7 points.

Regarding the 15 yard 2 point conversion:

Did you even read it?

Not only did I read it but I understood some of its implications. When a team 'goes for the tie' in a one point game and llines up to kick at the 15, fakes it and sends tdhe holder around the end and over the goal line will they be awarded only one point? Especially when the defense could have scored two on a turnover?

I have no problem with a game being won or lost by a kicker on a standard FG attempt. I have a problem with a kicker being a significant factor in whether or not a team scores 7 points.

What's the difference? I'm not seeing it.

It was either this or just auto-award the 7 points. And the latter option just further makes ST pointless, which has been happening for years. I would hate to see that happen, a lot.

It was either this or just auto-award the 7 points. And the latter option just further makes ST pointless, which has been happening for years. I would hate to see that happen, a lot.

Auto award the 7 points. Lose a point on a failed 2XP. Problem solved, no change in the fundamental value of a TD.

Auto award the 7 points. Lose a point on a failed 2XP. Problem solved, no change in the fundamental value of a TD.

Special teams have been pointless for years?

Ask Pats fans how pointless Adam Vinatieri was in the early 2000s. Ask Bills fans about Scott Norwood. Or Packers fans about Desmond Howard. Ask Saints fans about a certain onside kick.

The role special teams play in the game of football didn't need to be expanded. It was perfect just as it was.

And I don't know where you got the idea that the word "effectively" means "literal." Or that my saying that kickers have their place means that I believe they are not a part of a football team.

Bottom line: When the success rate of a PAT attempt from the 2 yard line is 99% - which it is - then that means a TD/PAT before 2015 was worth 7 points 99% of the time. Which basically makes a pre-2015 TD worth at least 7 points.

I mean, remind me again why they changed the rule? Wasn't it because the PAT was considered to be automatic and merely an obligatory gesture that had no discernible impact on games?

Do you not know that the PAT has not always been a 99% conversion rate? It only became that way as kickers became better and more skilled. Back in the day it was no guarantee. There were quite a few missed PATs and FGs.

Special teams have been pointless for years?

Ask Pats fans how pointless Adam Vinatieri was in the early 2000s. Ask Bills fans about Scott Norwood. Or Packers fans about Desmond Howard. Ask Saints fans about a certain onside kick.

The role special teams play in the game of football didn't need to be expanded. It was perfect just as it was.

It's not pointless, but it's been moving in that direction. Kickoffs have been all but eliminated, now you want to take away PAT's too. And i'm not talking about years ago, i'm talking about now. Maybe it was perfect, maybe not, but it had to change because PAT's were just wastes of time at this point in the eyes of the league and the fans. It had to either be expanded or reduced, and the latter would be a shame.

Yes, The Catch was decided by a 2-yard chip shot formality. You definitely get how the game works.

You're right. How many NCAA/College Varsity Football letters do you have?

CFdpD4qUUAAYk03.jpg

The auto 7pts was exactly what the NCAA was looking at in the early 2000's. Why bother? Make Special Teams part of the game and make it exciting. Some of the best, most exciting plays are made on Special Teams.

Falconsfan567 and Lornoth like this

Regarding the 15 yard 2 point conversion:

Not only did I read it but I understood some of its implications. When a team 'goes for the tie' in a one point game and llines up to kick at the 15, fakes it and sends tdhe holder around the end and over the goal line will they be awarded only one point? Especially when the defense could have scored two on a turnover?

Are you saying that if a team lines up for 1-point at the 15 but has to improvise due to a bad snap or just decides to challenge themselves with an extra 13 yards, it always counts as 1 point? Seems to me that it's one point if they kick it through the uprights or 2 points if someone crosses the goal line with ball in hand whether it be from the 2 or the 15.