Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconFanSince1969

Goodell Changing The Game.....again

123 posts in this topic

I'm sure NFL fans are really gonna love this new "exciting" PAT.

Right up until that first game their team loses by a single point because of a missed point after.

All they had to do was make a TD worth 7 and just lose the extra point attempt altogether if they thought it was so boring.

Right up until that first game their team loses by a single point because of a missed point after.

All they had to do was make a TD worth 7 and just lose the extra point attempt altogether if they thought it was so boring.

That's the good part about it. It's still considered an easy FG for most kickers, but a 32 yard FG is ore difficult than the 17/18 yard chip shot.

Extra-point attempts have been moved from the two- to 15-yard line, though two-point conversions will continue to take place from the two-yard line.

That means PATs will now be 33 yards instead of 20. It's a drastic change, not one everyone was necessarily asking for. There will now be big games decided by missed extra points. The league also implemented another rule change, awarding two points for botched PATs or two-point conversions that are returned for a score by the defense. That rule was already employed by the NCAA.

Not sure why you're referencing Goodell when it was the owners that voted for this

What about 2 point converts in that case??

What about 2 point converts in that case??

Not sure what you mean. The result of a missed 2XP and a missed PAT is the same, right?

The bottom line is that the importance of kicking has been elevated while TDs have been devalued. More exciting? Yeah, I guess. Does it make the game better? Not to me. Personally, I don't watch football for the kicking.

I'm sure NFL fans will get over it the same way they had to get over their team losing by a single point for years and years because the NFL didn't have the 2 point conversion play. The 2 point conversion didn't become an NFL rule until 1994. Do you know how many games there were that were lost by 1 point in the years before that? Tons.

Not sure what you mean. The result of a missed 2XP and a missed PAT is the same, right?

The bottom line is that the importance of kicking has been elevated while TDs have been devalued. More exciting? Yeah, I guess. Does it make the game better? Not to me. Personally, I don't watch football for the kicking.

How in the heIl has touchdowns been devalued? Did they change how many points are awarded on a TD?

wuskillzz likes this

How in the heIl has touchdowns been devalued? Did they change how many points are awarded on a TD?

Yes. It used to be, for all intents and purposes, an automatic 7 points. Now it's not so automatic.

Considering there are roughly 40 extra point attempts per team each year on average, and the league success rate for kicking attempts in the 30 to 40 yard range is about 90%, we will be looking at 3 to 4 missed PAT attempts per team per season.

Lets say one of those misses were to occur in the playoffs after a team had just driven the length of the field in the final seconds for a game tying TD. The focus now shifts from the QB and the offense - who in previous seasons would have been celebrated for the game-winning drive - to the kicker who blew the season.

The focus of this game should never be on kickers.

Yes. It used to be, for all intents and purposes, an automatic 7 points. Now it's not so automatic.

Considering there are roughly 40 extra point attempts per team each year on average, and the league success rate for kicking attempts in the 30 to 40 yard range is about 90%, we will be looking at 3 to 4 missed PAT attempts per team per season.

Lets say one of those misses were to occur in the playoffs after a team had just driven the length of the field in the final seconds for a game tying TD. The focus now shifts from the QB and the offense - who in previous seasons would have been celebrated for the game-winning drive - to the kicker who blew the season.

The focus of this game should never be on kickers.

Why? They're as much a part of the team as anybody else. I'm glad they're getting more important instead of phased out completely, personally. ST isn't an afterthought, it's 1/3'rd of the game.

Falconsfan567 likes this

No, I mean if you just award 7 points, what about the 2 point convert??

Why? They're as much a part of the team as anybody else. I'm glad they're getting more important instead of phased out completely, personally. ST isn't an afterthought, it's 1/3'rd of the game.

They have their place, yes. They should not be a factor when it comes to an offense scoring TDs.

There certainly should never be allowed the chance that a nervous kicker could render non-existent the next "The Catch" or the next "The Drive."

No, I mean if you just award 7 points, what about the 2 point convert??

I love the 2XP. Just allow the option to attempt it, if a team so desires. If they fail, it's 6 points instead of the automatic 7. Pretty much exactly as it is now anyway.

They have their place, yes. They should not be a factor when it comes to an offense scoring TDs.

There certainly should never be allowed the chance that a nervous kicker could render non-existent the next "The Catch" or the next "The Drive."

They still don't stop an offense from scoring TD's.

Kickers have always been put in the spot of "Make the kick and win or miss it and lose." Always. Not sure why this is so much worse from your perspective.

Falconsfan567 likes this

People are dumb if they don't like the NFL adapting inmy opinion. Boxing and Circuit City never adapted...how are they doing today?

What exactly is the NFL adapting to with this rule change? The capricious whims of the XFL crowd? How is that league doing today?

eastside_bird likes this

They still don't stop an offense from scoring TD's.

Kickers have always been put in the spot of "Make the kick and win or miss it and lose." Always. Not sure why this is so much worse from your perspective.

You'll find out once the playoffs start and some team loses because their kicker couldn't convert the "PAT" after his offense busted their tail to drive for a TD.

In the past, it was, "We need a TD to win it." Going forward, it will be, "We need a TD... PLUS a 33 yard high pressure kick to win it." Why don't we just go ahead and add a roulette wheel spin in there. Maybe a coin flip as well. That would certainly make the whole after-TD ritual more "exciting."

I see the NFL is still successful in fooling people into blaming Goodell for things he basically has no say in.

Just noticed you posted this. Which is basically what I meant. I totally agree. Goodell is literally a public figurehead for the owners.

Extra-point attempts have been moved from the two- to 15-yard line, though two-point conversions will continue to take place from the two-yard line.

That means PATs will now be 33 yards instead of 20. It's a drastic change, not one everyone was necessarily asking for. There will now be big games decided by missed extra points. The league also implemented another rule change, awarding two points for botched PATs or two-point conversions that are returned for a score by the defense. That rule was already employed by the NCAA.

Don't like it worth a dam. Where exactly are we going?

Been watching NFL Football since the mid sixties. It was fine back then.

Buddy is the worst commish I've ever seen. Give me Rozell or Tag over Goody. Any day. He sucks monkey balls. Trust me.