Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4.5 underdogs

Mark Brunell's 1St And 2Nd Tier Quarterbacks

463 posts in this topic

With respect, and I hear you loud and clear....but...you don't get much closer than 2012.

Truth to tell, all these lists are what have you done for me lately, and lately, falcons are 10-22. If we go 11-5 next season, Ryan is back on everyone's Top 10 list.

He has won a playoff game and the only people who really like him are Falcons fans. I hope he feeds off the negativity and makes plays this year. Come with a nasty chip on his shoulder, or he will be Drew Bledsoe all over again.

I liked Brunell when he was a Jag along with Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, and Fred Taylor.

Those guys were really good together. I thought that they were really going make their way to at least a SB appearance back then.

They were scary. He was an awesome game manager.

Vandy and DawnOfThemBirds like this

I agree with KoG except for Kaep, mostly because of what those QB's are asked to do and the fact that they do it.

I think Matt is about to take a step forward though.

Knight of God likes this

I liked Brunell when he was a Jag along with Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, and Fred Taylor.

Those guys were really good together. I thought that they were really going make their way to at least a SB appearance back then.

I did too. The Jags had a nice squad back then.
DawnOfThemBirds likes this

I don't care about perception. I care about reality. The reality is that the players make each other. Peyton Manning isn't making those receivers catch those balls.

I think the generally consensus was he did make them better receivers.

I heard numerous receivers talk about how Manning would work with them relentlessly until they executed perfectly. Peyton basically is another coach/player on the field.

I can't make that claim for most QB's but Peyton definitely falls into that category and if you don't catch balls you won't be playing with him.

Vandy likes this

I agree with KoG except for Kaep, mostly because of what those QB's are asked to do and the fact that they do it.

I think Matt is about to take a step forward though.

This is the right regime for him man. I think he will get some serious shine he's never had before. I think so, that's my opinion. Dude is a good guy and a smart player, with the talent. He just has to get some help. He can't do it alone.

I think everyone here understands that some players are put in a better position to succeed. A strong D never hurts. A strong Oline is irreplaceable.

Now there are those QB's who have been blessed with incredible physical skills.

Some have been blessed with superior mental acuity.

Any combination of these two things, while positioned on a team with a strong D, great coaching, a running game, a solid Oline etc... will all have an effect.on how well a player can go.

Some guys can have a few of those parts and their intellectual capacity to read defenses and think faster than most are the ones who can be special. At QB, unless they're 90 lb weakling with zero physical skills, i will choose brains over brawn.

He has won a playoff game and the only people who really like him are Falcons fans. I hope he feeds off the negativity and makes plays this year. Come with a nasty chip on his shoulder, or he will be Drew Bledsoe all over again.

I hear you....even worse than bledsoe, a few more 6-10s will get you compared to Testaverde or Kreig.

Knight of God likes this

This is the right regime for him man. I think he will get some serious shine he's never had before. I think so, that's my opinion. Dude is a good guy and a smart player, with the talent. He just has to get some help. He can't do it alone.

Agreed. Matts been playing without a viable run game for two years. Balancing things out is going to help him a lot.
Knight of God likes this

I couldn't agree more. VERY few QBs can win without balance - both offensive and defensive balance. It's about time he didn't have to shoulder the entire load.
Knight of God likes this

I see your point, and would agree to a certain extent....but.....I would argue falcons were not overall an incredibly talented team 2008-2012...we had pieces, but all teams do....

I agree, we didn't have the incredibly talented teams but we had a winning formula and some great offensive weapons similar to the Patriots.

We should have gone to the Superbowl in 2012 and both sides of the ball crapped the bed in the 2nd half. Matt Ryan fair or not fair shoulders allot of the criticism for falling short and that will stick in peoples minds until he writes a new chapter.

Vandy likes this

Matt Ryan was one of the few who could start successfully as a rookie and shine. He has the tools to be great. He seriously does a nice job overcoming Oline issues, no D, and lack of a consistent running game. No excuse makikng for him. But he is definitely way under rated.

me4falcons likes this

I agree, we didn't have the incredibly talented teams but we had a winning formula and some great offensive weapons similar to the Patriots.

We should have gone to the Superbowl in 2012 and both sides of the ball crapped the bed in the 2nd half. Matt Ryan fair or not fair shoulders allot of the criticism for falling short and that will stick in peoples minds until he writes a new chapter.

That's my criticism (if you want to call it that) of Matt.....lack of killer instinct.

Knight of God likes this

I couldn't agree more. VERY few QBs can win without balance - both offensive and defensive balance. It's about time he didn't have to shoulder the entire load.

Almost every QB on those lists had something going for them, our guy didn't have. Defense, solidarity on the line, coaching, something. All the numbers and rankings...please...let's play some ball and then tell me what's up. Save the talky for the emo crowd, I want to see what happens on the field.

They were scary. He was an awesome game manager.

I did too. The Jags had a nice squad back then.

Yep, it's funny how all of them got rings with other teams except for Fred Taylor.

Brunell had to win one as a Saints backup for Brees

Keenan McCardell won one with the Bucs.

Most people either don't know or don't remember that Jimmy Smith was on 2 of those SB winning Cowboys teams during the 90s before going to the Jags, even though he didn't contribute at all to neither of them.

Knight of God likes this

Matt Ryan was one of the few who could start successfully as a rookie and shine. He has the tools to be great. He seriously does a nice job overcoming Oline issues, no D, and lack of a consistent running game. No excuse makikng for him. But he is definitely way under rated.

Most underrated QB in NFL....maybe most underrated player.....he's actually performed admirably the past two seasons surrounded by not much talent......but that gets watered down by 10-22...

Good for him in entering his prime years falcons seem serious about addressing the D.........

me4falcons likes this

Yep, it's funny how all of them got rings with other teams except for Fred Taylor.

Brunell had to win one as a Saints backup for Brees

Keenan McCardell won one with the Bucs.

Most people either don't know or don't remember that Jimmy Smith was on 2 of those SB winning Cowboys teams during the 90s before going to the Jags, even though he didn't contribute at all to neither of them.

Even though he played for the Pats.

That's my criticism (if you want to call it that) of Matt.....lack of killer instinct.

I blame that on Mike Smith. I felt like he put handcuffs on Ryan. I can't wait to see what happens this year.

Even though he played for the Pats.

Yep

Even though I despise the Pats, I was happy for Taylor because I thought that he would more than likely get a ring. Same with Randy Moss.

Crazy how it didn't work out that way.

Knight of God likes this

Players usually take on the personality of their coaches.

Very true. A lot of players are now using the buzz words attack, fast and physical. TD is even saying it. I would love for them to take DQs personality.

I blame that on Mike Smith. I felt like he put handcuffs on Ryan. I can't wait to see what happens this year.

Possibly, although I feel Smith is a convenient punching bag here. We were in position to win it all in 2012, and we just didn't get it done.

At the end of the day, a QB has to find his own voice as leader of the team. That time is now for Matt.

Yep

Even though I despise the Pats, I was happy for Taylor because I thought that he would more than likely get a ring. Same with Randy Moss.

Crazy how it didn't work out that way.

Me too bro...

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

17h6z093no88xjpg.jpg

sniffle sniffle sniffle... I refuse to admit we got whooped by Atlanta waaaahhh! I hope we blast this dude like he's never witnessed in his entire career.