Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4.5 underdogs

Mark Brunell's 1St And 2Nd Tier Quarterbacks

463 posts in this topic

Elite QBs don't let their teams go 10-22...they just don't, they refuse no matter what the adversity to let that happen. That's what I mean by leadership

That's not a real thing though. And its sort of a "self-fulfilling prophecy situation"

You look at a guy like Tony Romo and its like WOW he plays at an elite level. But then his surrounding talent takes a **** for a few years and he spins his tires. Now he's not elite.

Rivers is the same way. And Roethlisberger. ****, even Eli.

Those are all guys that have played the position at the very highest level but have had other situational things go wrong a lot.

There are only three QBs that are counter to this sort of thing. One of them (Brady) plays for the single greatest football mind in the league. Also, he may be the greatest QB ever. ANother is Rodgers....who plays for a supremely run organization that never really has much of a talent lag. And the third is Peyton....who is the perfect example of a guy that can "drag his team to wins" but not really. He was surrounded by supreme talent and the one year he had a complete team was the year he won a SB. When the talent around him lagged? So did his performance.

Matt went 10-22 because weird **** happens in small samples. Injuries, awful coaching (which cost him 4 wins at a minimum), poor defense. So it goes. At no point when Mike Smith was handing games away did I think "man...Matt has to be a better leader" Or when the Jets (the JETS!) drove the field with seconds left. I never thought "man....Matt was a little milquetoast there"

I think thats the new God of the sports world. A way to explain that which we aren't comfortable accepting as fact. Sometimes things happen. Randomness is everywhere.

If we had Manning or Brady on our team over the course of the last 2 years I don't see us winning many more games. Anyways Ryan isn't elite but he's a top 8 QB it's as simple as that.

Maybe a couple more....maybe like 3? 5? But is 15-17 really better than 10-22? Meh.

Now, if we had Ryan and Bill Belichick.........how many additional games would we have won? 8? 10?

Elite QBs don't let their teams go 10-22...they just don't, they refuse no matter what the adversity to let that happen. That's what I mean by leadership

LOL

Cutler use to be league's most overrated QB, but last couple seasons people finally have seen who he truly is....Jeff George Jr.

ANd yeah this is pretty much dead on. And I hate comps like this. But holy **** is it perfect.

If we had Manning or Brady on our team over the course of the last 2 years I don't see us winning many more games. Anyways Ryan isn't elite but he's a top 8 QB it's as simple as that.

Not so sure about that on Manning/Brady. But hey, I agree Matt is a Top 8 QB also, but I want him to be #1 like Brady/Manning in their prime. He needs that fire in the belly/ refuse to lose at any cost mentality to get there. Hope the last two seasons toughened him up to hate losing so much he rises to that mentality of thinking.

That's not a real thing though. And its sort of a "self-fulfilling prophecy situation"

You look at a guy like Tony Romo and its like WOW he plays at an elite level. But then his surrounding talent takes a shit for a few years and he spins his tires. Now he's not elite.

Rivers is the same way. And Roethlisberger. Hell, even Eli.

Those are all guys that have played the position at the very highest level but have had other situational things go wrong a lot.

There are only three QBs that are counter to this sort of thing. One of them (Brady) plays for the single greatest football mind in the league. Also, he may be the greatest QB ever. ANother is Rodgers....who plays for a supremely run organization that never really has much of a talent lag. And the third is Peyton....who is the perfect example of a guy that can "drag his team to wins" but not really. He was surrounded by supreme talent and the one year he had a complete team was the year he won a SB. When the talent around him lagged? So did his performance.

Matt went 10-22 because weird shit happens in small samples. Injuries, awful coaching (which cost him 4 wins at a minimum), poor defense. So it goes. At no point when Mike Smith was handing games away did I think "man...Matt has to be a better leader" Or when the Jets (the JETS!) drove the field with seconds left. I never thought "man....Matt was a little milquetoast there"

I think thats the new God of the sports world. A way to explain that which we aren't comfortable accepting as fact. Sometimes things happen. Randomness is everywhere

Goes back to the strange childlike notion that one player on a team can carry it. There are 10 other guys on the field who have to do their jobs too or sh** ain't gonna happen.

Dang KOG, has someone made you angry for you to react this way? Objectively speaking, I don't understand how you can say that. The guy is highly under rated imo and everything I have ever seen of him since his rookie year indicates he is a bigtime leader. Not bigmouth leader, but quiet leader who has willed this team to victory under rough circumstances many many times. Then he goes about his business and takes none of the credit. Yet there are folks that blame him for losses that he fought in where he peeled himself off the ground in. Also cheered his D unit while they did absolutely nothing to help him. While his Oline looked like human turnstiles... He never claimed to be a top 5 or a top 10 guy but he deserves much more respect than to say he's vastly over rated and not a leader. Perhaps you just don't prefer him as a QB personally or prefer a different style of althleticism but I am surprised at your take

DirtyBird8711 likes this

Elite QBs don't let their teams go 10-22...they just don't, they refuse no matter what the adversity to let that happen

Says who??

Certainly no knowledgable NFL fan that I know of. That's a patently absurd statement.

vel and Shelley#37 like this

Goes back to the strange childlike notion that one player on a team can carry it. There are 10 other guys on the field who have to do their jobs too or sh** ain't gonna happen.

Right?

Plus another 11 on the field when you're on the bench.

Plus another ~5 on offense rotating in. With another ~5 on defense rotating in.

And a whole unit of STs, including kickers and punters.

Plus the coach managing the game.

Teams lose for lots of reasons. I can't think of more than 2-3 games over the last two years that I thought fell solely on Matt Ryan. Or even mostly on Matt Ryan.

HASHBROWN3 and Tuggle'2 like this

You look at a guy like Tony Romo and its like WOW he plays at an elite level. But then his surrounding talent takes a **** for a few years and he spins his tires. Now he's not elite.

Matt went 10-22 because weird **** happens in small samples. Injuries, awful coaching (which cost him 4 wins at a minimum), poor defense. So it goes. At no point when Mike Smith was handing games away did I think "man...Matt has to be a better leader" Or when the Jets (the JETS!) drove the field with seconds left. I never thought "man....Matt was a little milquetoast there"

I think thats the new God of the sports world. A way to explain that which we aren't comfortable accepting as fact. Sometimes things happen. Randomness is everywhere.

Well thought out post, Larry.

I think Romo, Rivers, Ryan are all very good QBs, but all also fall a notch below greatness because of what I explained on Matt. Randomness is unacceptable to the very best, they find a way to push through whatever adversity they face, which is when true leadership takes place. Matt has so many good character traits you want in a QB, and I want him to find that 'refuse to lose' that overcomes bad coaching and any other adversity out there that comes our team's way.

That is one **** of a take bro. props... You must recognize the blessings of being put in a good situation, surrounded with great talent etc... this goes for all QB's imo no matter who the heck they are. Talent shines through no matter what but this is an excellent point. I also never buy into saying a guy is or isn't great because he's won a championchip or not. That is so easy to do and people just want to look at this like media sheep and go along with it cuz it makes it so much easier to have the conversation.

JDaveG and Tuggle'2 like this

Says who??

Certainly no knowledgable NFL fan that I know of. That's a patently absurd statement.

Says me. And I beg to differ that I lack football knowledge.

Not so sure about that on Manning/Brady. But hey, I agree Matt is a Top 8 QB also, but I want him to be #1 like Brady/Manning in their prime. He needs that fire in the belly/ refuse to lose at any cost mentality to get there. Hope the last two seasons toughened him up to hate losing so much he rises to that mentality of thinking.

Manning in his prime went one and done multiple times in the playoffs. The last thing you can say about Ryan is he lacks fire. Just because the team went 10-22 over the last 2 years it doesn't mean Ryan doesn't have a refuse to lose mentality. Also Ryan will never be top 3 QB in the leauge because he lacks elite arm strength and doesn't have a good deep ball but that's fine because he's really good at basically everything else.

vel likes this

There are three irreplaceable QBs in this league:

Rodgers

Brady

Peyton

The rest are guys you can win with to varying degrees. I don't care where Matt is ranked. That's my guy. Where I personally rank him doesn't matter neither. I do know one thing: We sure as heIl have no shot without him and there are a number of teams that would love to have him.

Take Matt away these last seven years and yall are calling TD an idiot for not taking him or taking Brian Brohm.

There are three irreplaceable QBs in this league:

Rodgers

Brady

Peyton

The rest are guys you can win with to varying degrees. I don't care where Matt is ranked. That's my guy. Where I personally rank him doesn't matter neither. I do know one thing: We sure as heIl have no shot without him and there are a number of teams that would love to have him.

Take Matt away these last seven years and yall are calling TD an idiot for not taking him or taking Brian Brohm.

Manning isn't the same QB he once was. Colts played him perfectly. Pressure him and force him to throw deep. I agree with you on Brady and Rodgers and I feel Luck will be there after this year.

He isn't great, but he's not bad like some are saying. You don't have to scare anyone with your arm, but he's scary to play against on Sundays. Now he has Reggie Bush, Mike Davis, Carlos Hyde, Boldin, Torrey Smith, Blake Bell, and Vern. I won't be underestimating him too soon. He will have to be worse than these guys pretend he is.

Didn't know they had Torrey Smith now. Maybe he won't make it a habit to constantly overthrow Smith deep like Flacco did in Baltimore.

This "unacceptable" tough talk is just fan rhetoric.

The REALITY is the QB has much that goes into winning out of his control.

Matt Ryan had no control of The major problems this team had in the last two years, in fact, he was one of the few very good things about this team during that stretch. If every player played as good as Ryan did the last two years we would have won Super Bowls both years.

I dont know what up with you lately but your views on football related **** have been completely idiotic.

You see. All of this makes my point. Do this. Show me how I have been saying much to the contrary of Falcons football lately.

The point is, anytime someone says anything about Matt Ryan this board doesn't like...the guy is stupid. If someone says something positive tho, they are okay. Its foolishness.

I am a bit contrarian sometimes and not necessarily based on a complete opinion.

Generally this is me too but i did have a lot of fun with the Guild Wars series. Much better than WoW which seems cartoony/for kids to me.

On PC the Baldurs Gate stuff was awesome back in the day. Supposedly a similar type of game is on the works - should be sweet with the kind of graphics and amount of data crunching PCs are capable of now.

Just couldn't really get into it. Knights of the Old Republic and Elder Scrolls spoiled me.

This "unacceptable" tough talk is mere rhetoric. The REALITY is the QB has much that goes into winning out of his control.

To me QB's are generally overrated. I like Matt Ryan, but man...there is so much more to football than an overrated position. That's coming from a guy who played defense.

gazoo likes this

No way in heII Cutler and Kaepernick are 2nd tier QBs.

Ryan received a lot of hate before he won a playoff game. Dalton is about to surpass the playoff winless record that Ryan had. Dalton also has an overall better team than most QBs in the NFL.

He already has. Ryan was 0-3. Dalton is currently 0-4 (2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014).

You see. All of this makes my point. Do this. Show me how lately I have been saying much to the contrary of Falcons football lately.

The point is, anytime someone says anything about Matt Ryan this board doesn't like...the guy is stupid.

I knew you were making a point. I was watching how everyone went into defensive mode. No troll accusations though lol.

Knight of God likes this

To me QB's are generally overrated. I like Matt Ryan, but man...there is so much more to football than an overrated position. That's coming from a guy who played defense.

While I feel the QB is the single most important position on an NFL team, I also agree the QBs impact on the game is grossly overrated by many. There is soooooooooo much more that goes into winning an NFL game than QB play and everything matters, play calling,coaching, special teams, the other guys on offense, the defense, the talent level of the roster, the scheme, etc.

Knight of God likes this

Just couldn't really get into it. Knights of the Old Republic and Elder Scrolls spoiled me.

Dude, KOTOR was sooo good. Really loved it. Jolee Bindo is still one of my favorite characters in any video game, ever. HK-47 too. So many good characters though, an incredible twist, great storytelling, the whole package. I need to play that again, eesh.

Knight of God likes this