Thought About How To Use Our Cornerbacks

Well, as everybody else on these days of 0 football, we have time to think about our team and what kind of formations we will use, players... and i just wanted to share my idea on how to use our corners.

I think Trufant and Alford will be our starting corners for week 1 (if no injuries happen), Tru on the left and Alford on the right with Collins playing the nickel and Southward coming in for some big nickle packages.

My thought is, when we are defending our redzone, Alford should come out because he is small and has had problems in the past defending fade routes. In those situations we should go with Collins and Southward on the outside and move Tru to the slot, where Quinn already has said he is showing some strong skills. With this formation we will prevent teams form using fades routes since Southward and Collins are our tallest cornerbacks and with Tru in the slot those shifty/quick wr will have problems getting separation from him. That will also allow our safeties to play closer to the LOS and stop teams form runnign the ball.

With these adjustments our redzone defense should be greatly improved.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by FalconFromSpain

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as everybody else on these days of 0 football, we have time to think about our team and what kind of formations we will use, players... and i just wanted to share my idea on how to use our corners.

I think Trufant and Alford will be our starting corners for week 1 (if no injuries happen), Tru on the left and Alford on the right with Collins playing the nickel and Southward coming in for some big nickle packages.

My thought is, when we are defending our redzone, Alford should come out because he is small and has had problems in the past defending fade routes. In those situations we should go with Collins and Southward on the outside and move Tru to the slot, where Quinn already has said he is showing some strong skills. With this formation we will prevent teams form using fades routes since Southward and Collins are our tallest cornerbacks and with Tru in the slot those shifty/quick wr will have problems getting separation from him. That will also allow our safeties to play closer to the LOS and stop teams form runnign the ball.

With these adjustments our redzone defense should be greatly improved.

What are your thoughts?

If Alf comes in here playing like he did last year, I think we should move him to the left side. Of the bench. And keep him there.

Negative post above because it was a negative assumption, not reality.

Can't be realistic about the future...

Did you miss the first word "If" in that statement? That is not an assumption.

Dude played awful in nearly every game he started as a rookie and second year corner. QBs roasted him. Many were second tier QBs. He also was a penalty machine.

Now he's coming off an injury and is not the prototypical "Quinn" corner. You guys can be as optimistic about Alf as you need to be, but the reality is "If" he stinks up the field again he needs to be moved to the left side. Of the bench. Trying to hide him at nickel or FS where he can easily be found is probably not a good option.

Dude played awful in nearly every game he started as a rookie and second year corner. QBs roasted him. Many were second tier QBs. He also was a penalty machine.

Now he's coming off an injury and is not the prototypical "Quinn" corner. You guys can be as optimistic about Alf as you need to be, but the reality is "If" he stinks up the field again he needs to be moved to the left side. Of the bench. Trying to hide him at nickel or FS where he can easily be found is probably not a good option.

Alford played ok in year 1, poorly last year. Not that unusual for a 2nd year CB to struggle, especially on a team with a non-existent pass rush.

He has the skill set to be a good DB, although I still hold out for him eventually moving to FS, where I think he could thrive.

I expect him to improve considerably this year both because he'll naturally improve + pass rush won't allow opposing QBs to have all day to pick our secondary apart.

You think everything you say is correct, so "assumption" is the proper word to use in your case.

If it makes you feel better, then I can replace it with "statement."

Still negative....

Alford played ok in year 1, poorly last year. Not that unusual for a 2nd year CB to struggle, especially on a team with a non-existent pass rush.

He has the skill set to be a good DB, although I still hold out for him eventually moving to FS, where I think he could thrive.

I expect him to improve considerably this year both because he'll naturally improve + pass rush won't allow opposing QBs to have all day to pick our secondary apart.

Alf played OK as a back up in his rookie season but when he started in our last four games he got picked apart, allowing four TDs and passer ratings in the 116.7-158.3 range. And that was against Flynn, Cousins, Kap and Cam. Ouch.

You think everything you say is correct, so "assumption" is the proper word to use in your case.

If it makes you feel better, then I can replace it with "statement."

Still negative....

That statement is an assumption. One that's incorrect by the way.

Alf played OK as a back up in his rookie season but when he started in our last four games he got picked apart, allowing four TDs and passer ratings in the 116.7-158.3 range. And that was against Flynn, Cousins, Kap and Cam. Ouch.

That statement is an assumption. One that's incorrect by the way.

See how your attitude has affected others young man! Lol

Alford has had bad plays but dude has exact int. stats to Trufant...Tru is obviously better.

The Mighty Quinn has given Alford a huge endorsement IMHO...we drafted Collins and depth at cb.

That Dez pick is problematic...IMHO.

It's true Alf has the same amount of picks as Tru, but Tru probably dropped five picks. He's only allowed 5 TDs on 180 targets. Alf has allowed 12 TDs on just 112 targets. Alarming.

It's true Alf has the same amount of picks as Tru, but Tru probably dropped five picks. He's only allowed 5 TDs on 180 targets. Alf has allowed 12 TDs on just 112 targets. Alarming.

I still think Alford improves with a better front 7...we are good at cb IMHO.

Safety is the big question and Dez is a worse pick than Alford... Alford's season was cut short yet int. are equal to Tru.

Tru dropped picks...how many picks did Alford drop?

If Alford does win the starting job, I'd still expect him to slide over to Nickel when Collins comes in. I do not expect us to put our 6'1" CB in the Nickel covering the slot. The only way I see that happening is if we are playing a team with a great receiving TE like the Pats with Gronk.

I still think Alford improves with a better front 7...we are good at cb IMHO.

Safety is the big question and Dez is a worse pick than Alford... Alford's season was cut short yet int. are equal to Tru.

Tru dropped picks...how many picks did Alford drop?

Not sure how many picks Alf dropped but what about his TDs allowed/Target ratio? Scary.

I hope you're right about him improving. The last thing we need is another high round bust corner.

FS is a concern too, but hopefully somebody steps up, or we unearth a free agent or two this summer.

If Alford does win the starting job, I'd still expect him to slide over to Nickel when Collins comes in. I do not expect us to put our 6'1" CB in the Nickel covering the slot. The only way I see that happening is if we are playing a team with a great receiving TE like the Pats with Gronk.

Tru could be the nickle...best and probably most versatile cb on the roster. Didn't Collins play on the left?

Not sure how many picks Alf dropped but what about his TDs allowed/Target ratio? Scary.

I hope you're right about him improving. The last thing we need is another high round bust corner.

FS is a concern too, but hopefully somebody steps up, or we unearth a free agent or two this summer.

Why does Alford project as a bust...he does make plays.

The high round bust is Dez...who is not front running any cb position.

I like some of the UDFA prospects, but Dez was a 3rd...I only see special teams.

I may be over-simplifying things here but seems to me like your two biggest corners should play on the outside where the bigger receivers play. Put Tru and Coleman on the outside and Alf in the nickel covering the slot receivers.

Now Coleman may not be quite ready yet so that could change things up but we won't really know that til the pre-season is over.

Why does Alford project as a bust...he does make plays.

The high round bust is Dez...who is not front running any cb position.

I like some of the UDFA prospects, but Dez was a 3rd...I only see special teams.

12 TDs allowed on 112 targets is bust level production. Not sure improved pass rush alone will fix that. He has to improve his penalty game too.

12 TDs allowed on 112 targets is bust level production. Not sure improved pass rush alone will fix that. He has to improve his penalty game too.

Improved pass rush, Alford improves. He did get hurt...he does make plays. That's all I am saying.

Free safety is Godfrey and a lot of wishing...and we did draft to resolve that issue.

Dez projects where?

Both were a stretch...who is the long shot? Dez.

All you need to know about what Quinn thinks about Alford is that they moved Southward to CB and drafted a second round CB. That doesn't bode a lot of confidence in him when there are other obvious areas of need they could have addressed with the pick.