Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldskooler

It Is Mind-Boggling, Frightening, And Disturbing.

309 posts in this topic

1) Oldskooler, You have a valid concern with LG and I think most would agree with that. However, your title is a little over dramatic and you've received a few solid replies.

2) IMO, the FO would have liked to take OL early but simply saw more talent at other positions where we were drafting. That's basically been said, no I don't have a link.

3) Hopefully we find a decent to great LG already on the roster but if we don't then there are still cuts coming and it's not always scrubs or guys who don't deserve to start. $ can cause a vet to get cut when a young player deserves more snaps.

All in all LG is a valid concern but we've still got months to figure out who out starter will be.

4) Have a little faith and a good day my fellow Falcon fan.

1) And yet very few openly acknowledge these concerns here. I really believe that most people attacking me are just so desperate for something better that they just shut their eyes and refuse to see the inadequacies of our roster, even after a very good draft.

2) And this failure to prioritize a starting G over DB or WR depth is a likely source of trouble. Worse, this is the exact same mistake made several years ago. TD just assumed Garret or Johnson would be able to make it at G. He was wrong then; he's more likely than not to be wrong again.

3) You do realize you just restated my exact position, except you seem to accept "hopefully" as an acceptable plan to protect Matt Ryan. I do not.

4) Decades of Falcons fandom has taught me that we are a Murphy's Law franchise. I never hope for the best.

Anything is going to be 'hopefully' at this point in the season, especially if we drafted a rookie LG. You don't seem to grasp that point mate.

No I'm saying I think it's a bit odd to overreact to some disaster that hasn't even occurred yet. It reeks of "I hate TD no matter what" instead of actual football talk...

You prefer reactions after Matt Ryan is carted off the field because the pocket collapsed? Would that be a better time?

I don't hate TD. I hate several of his decisions. I am very specific and clear in where I agree with him (Beasley, trading up for Jarret) and where I disagree with him (pretty obvious by now).

I was abundantly clear in my pre-draft preference, yet not one time have I complained because my guy was passed over. I understood the reasoning, and I can't find fault with Beasley, so I have staunchly defended him.

I say again: Matt Ryan is the franchise. Nothing should be prioritized over his protection. Losing him would be disastrous.

1) And yet very few openly acknowledge these concerns here. I really believe that most people attacking me are just so desperate for something better that they just shut their eyes and refuse to see the inadequacies of our roster, even after a very good draft.

2) And this failure to prioritize a starting G over DB or WR depth is a likely source of trouble. Worse, this is the exact same mistake made several years ago. TD just assumed Garret or Johnson would be able to make it at G. He was wrong then; he's more likely than not to be wrong again.

3) You do realize you just restated my exact position, except you seem to accept "hopefully" as an acceptable plan to protect Matt Ryan. I do not.

4) Decades of Falcons fandom has taught me that we are a Murphy's Law franchise. I never hope for the best.

1. I haven't seen many that don't admit it's a cause for concern.

2. Idk man. I think reaching for players at a position of need got us in the shape we were in the last 2 seasons.

3. Yep, I do. Before the injuries last year the OL was starting to gel so I think there is a reason to be optimistic.

4. I may not have watched them as long as you have, I'm 35 but a life long fan, but if you can't enjoy the ride and go into a new season hopeful that your team has a shot then that just doesn't seem like much fun. Chances are we aren't winning a Lombardi this upcoming season but I really like how the future looks and anything can happen.

You prefer reactions after Matt Ryan is carted off the field because the pocket collapsed? Would that be a better time?

I don't hate TD. I hate several of his decisions. I am very specific and clear in where I agree with him (Beasley, trading up for Jarret) and where I disagree with him (pretty obvious by now).

I was abundantly clear in my pre-draft preference, yet not one time have I complained because my guy was passed over. I understood the reasoning, and I can't find fault with Beasley, so I have staunchly defended him.

I say again: Matt Ryan is the franchise. Nothing should be prioritized over his protection. Losing him would be disastrous.

and if it doesn t happen?

Anything is going to be 'hopefully' at this point in the season, especially if we drafted a rookie LG. You don't seem to grasp that point mate.

A talented rookie gives valid reason for hope.

A failed OT or C being asked to change positions AND change schemes then to not fail leaves much less room for hope.

Logical?

If their decision is to hope Matt survives with a tomato can at LG? Then yes: that would be idiotic.

All I am asking for is one guy, just one, with a track record at the position. It doesn't even have to be a great record. Just not completely terrible. That way, if none of the scrub loser OT's and C's can play LG, then we have a reasonable fallback option. Or to have drafted a promising rookie in the 2nd or 4th. Either wuld have sufficed.

Instead, our plan is "screw it, just throw enough crap at the position and someone HAS to work out. Don't they?"

So, this boils down to: You're smarter than the entire coaching staff-they all ignored this huge hole in the Oline that is so obvious to you.

That's fine for you to believe that, no reason for anybody else to buy into it.

A failed OT or C being asked to change positions AND change schemes then to not fail leaves much less room for hope.

Logical?

Not really. A guy like Hawley or Konz, who have both played OG at the NFL level, have a much, much larger chance for success this year than any rookie. O-Linemen are notoriously slow to get up to NFL speed.

So, this boils down to: You're smarter than the entire coaching staff-they all ignored this huge hole in the Oline that is so obvious to you.

That's fine for you to believe that, no reason for anybody else to buy into it.

Please link the post where I blamed "the entire coaching staff" for failing to acquire an adequate LG. If you have to resort to this sort of strawman crap, then perhaps you should shut your trap.

Terms 'frightening' and 'disturbing' are a little... superfluous.

What if rainbows and sunflowers spring out of your butt?

now with the name calling and insults. so which troll is this? almost 800 posts in two months, doesn t sound like you have much of a life. you gonna man up if it doesn t happen, or are you just going to try to forget you acted like an ***?

Logical?

Any rookie O-lineman is going to make rookie mistakes.

You should be more concerned about replacing T. J. Yates than the guard.

We are vulnerable if Matt Ryan goes down but he could go down without even

being touched. It happens and we are not in a good place.

now with the name calling and insults. so which troll is this? almost 800 posts in two months, doesn t sound like you have much of a life.

Isn't Swift or Dtan. Idk

Not really. A guy like Hawley or Konz, who have both played OG at the NFL level, have a much, much larger chance for success this year than any rookie. O-Linemen are notoriously slow to get up to NFL speed.

Hawley and Konz were both horrible at G. Hawley proved to be a pretty good C, but Konz failed at that, too.

And where is this "rookies can't play" crap coming from? There are literally dozens of rookies who played o-line at a high level in this decade.

Hawley and Konz were both horrible at G. Hawley proved to be a pretty good C, but Konz failed at that, too.

And where is this "rookies can't play" crap coming from? There are literally dozens of rookies who played o-line at a high level in this decade.

Define high level.

now with the name calling and insults. so which troll is this? almost 800 posts in two months, doesn t sound like you have much of a life. you gonna man up if it doesn t happen, or are you just going to try to forget you acted like an ***?

What name did I call someone? What insult? That was a ridiculous postulate, and it got an equally ridiculous retort.

Nice ad hominem, by the way. Very classy.

What name did I call someone? What insult? That was a ridiculous postulate, and it got an equally ridiculous retort.

Nice ad hominem, by the way. Very classy.

talking rainbows and stuff coming out of someones butt, and you wanna talk about class?

o-POT-MEET-KETTLE-570.jpg?1

Man, this is starting to get silly...

I really don't understand the hate and the venom for saying we should protect Matt Ryan. Tellingly, most are attacking me or spraying off-topic insulting barbs instead of showing examples of a reliable LG prospect on the roster.

I wonder why?

Where is anyone attacking you?

All I see is people not so much as disagreeing or agreeing with what you posted.

You simply have asked a question that .ca t be answered at this point I time,and that's bascially what everyone is pointing to.

You are the one attacking the players without knowledge of their possibility of success,due to failure in a different scheme.

Their have been plenty of players who have started at one position and where average/below average at,went on to cha he position and flowrish in.

Time will tell.

Where is anyone attacking you?

Are you serious? One guy hopes I choke, another said I have no life, and that's just the most recent few posts.

Are you serious? One guy hopes I choke, another said I have no life, and that's just the most recent few posts.

here's a tip,don't take what ppeople say to you online so serious, it's the internet,wveyone thinks their some badass while looking at a screen an insulting someone else.

I definitely did say that. Anyone who has read this forum regularly the past few months can see how you are.

You answer any opposition to your posts with aggression or sarcastic remarks. This isn't a one thread thing either. You've made an A of yourself many times in the past as well.

Don't play like an innocent little victim.

here's a tip,don't take what ppeople say to you online so serious, it's the internet,wveyone thinks their some badass while looking at a screen an insulting someone else.

Who said I take it seriously? I was asked where anyone was attacking me, and I answered. There were other, earlier examles that I had forgotten already.