Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldskooler

It Is Mind-Boggling, Frightening, And Disturbing.

309 posts in this topic

Konz excelled in college; in the NFL he has proven to be inadequate. Let me reiterate: 18 bench reps!

Pioli was in charge of scouting and pre-draft, but I understood TD to still be in charge of the draft itself. The coaches have clear input, but the ultimate call, and the ultimate responsibility, lies with the GM. With TD.

bench press isn't the only factor in determining strwnght for a lineman, not to mention we are moving to a ZBS,strwnght and power aren't as important in ZBS compares to a power/man blocking scheme.

this is the first time konz will be back to playing in a scheme that was always more suitable for him,and plays more to his strengths, Baker was always prob better suited to play inside,but we kept him outside due to no one else at the time being able to play outside.

TD may have final say but it's not like he looks at everyone hears their input and says screw it I'm drafting this guy instead, sounds like someone watched the movie draft day,and now believes that's how a FO works.

Is there some magical double-secret draft loaded with G prospects? Or are you planning on scraping the bottom of the barrel for more failures who couldn't win a job, just ones who failed for other teams?

The fact that other teams' castoffs might actually be upgrades and immediate starters is depressing in its own right.

But that's exactly what Smith and TD did in 08 --a lot of FA cast offs from other teams (except Turner)--and even then San Diego did not try to re-sign him

Peele, Rader, Hartsdock

Frasier, Moorehead, J Jefferson, Fudge,

old released falcons re-signed Grady Jackson ,, Gandy

Falcon PS--Backups Dahl Clabo

That worked to the tune of 11-5 and a playoff berth

besides someone has picked up Atl cast offs, Peters, Weatherspoon, Rodgers, Lowery etc this year

bench press isn't the only factor in determining strwnght for a lineman, not to mention we are moving to a ZBS,strwnght and power aren't as important in ZBS compares to a power/man blocking scheme.

this is the first time konz will be back to playing in a scheme that was always more suitable for him,and plays more to his strengths, Baker was always prob better suited to play inside,but we kept him outside due to no one else at the time being able to play outside.

TD may have final say but it's not like he looks at everyone hears their input and says screw it I'm drafting this guy instead, sounds like someone watched the movie draft day,and now believes that's how a FO works.

Yeah, but 18 reps for a supposedly super strong OL? LOL!!! Then that was one of his major issues? Strength? 1+1=2

1578927_o.gif

Yeah, but 18 reps for a supposedly super strong OL? LOL!!! Then that was one of his major issues? Strength? 1+1=2

That was 4 years ago, he didn't get any stronger since then?

1578927_o.gif

his strength coming out of Wisconsin was in question,not arguing that, just wanted to point out the bench press shows endurance more so than strenght itself,**** someone with proper technique and adequate stenght could prob out bench someone who is perceived as being stronger.

ZBS isn't all about how strong the lineman is tho.

So, you're answer is yes, they're all idiots and you know better than they do?

If their decision is to hope Matt survives with a tomato can at LG? Then yes: that would be idiotic.

All I am asking for is one guy, just one, with a track record at the position. It doesn't even have to be a great record. Just not completely terrible. That way, if none of the scrub loser OT's and C's can play LG, then we have a reasonable fallback option. Or to have drafted a promising rookie in the 2nd or 4th. Either wuld have sufficed.

Instead, our plan is "screw it, just throw enough crap at the position and someone HAS to work out. Don't they?"

I mentioned Matt Ryan's health in the first paragraph of my initial post. And no scheme will work if the players in it are incapable of performing in it. Konz has proven to lack the physicality and the strength to play in the NFL. The ZBS won't change that.

And it's absolutely impossible that 2 1/2 years in an NFL strength and nutrition plan could have helped him in any way. I mean seriously. If you look at draft history there have been some **** good players that didn't lift 225 over 18 times.

I can understand your concern to a degree as the previous coaching staff was loathe to actually develop talent, but it's a new day. Let's see what coaches that pride themselves on development and putting players in the position to succeed can actually do before we jump off a bridge.

That was 4 years ago, he didn't get any stronger since then?

no

his strength coming out of Wisconsin was in question,not arguing that, just wanted to point out the bench press shows endurance more so than strenght itself,**** someone with proper technique and adequate stenght could prob out bench someone who is perceived as being stronger.

ZBS isn't all about how strong the lineman is tho.

This is true about ZBS, but I was making a point about the marginalizing of the BP.

And it's absolutely impossible that 2 1/2 years in an NFL strength and nutrition plan could have helped him in any way. I mean seriously. If you look at draft history there have been some **** good players that didn't lift 225 over 18 times.

I can understand your concern to a degree as the previous coaching staff was loathe to actually develop talent, but it's a new day. Let's see what coaches that pride themselves on development and putting players in the position to succeed can actually do before we jump off a bridge.

who?

All you people attacking me, let me ask you a question. Do you have any incontrovertible irrefutable proof that any one on our roster will absolutely succeed at LG?

Or are you just desperate to believe, so you have placed blind faith in Quinn, despite the fact that while he has influence, he does not draft or sign players?

All you people attacking me, let me ask you a question. Do you have any incontrovertible irrefutable proof that any one on our roster will absolutely succeed at LG?

Or are you just desperate to believe, so you have placed blind faith in Quinn, despite the fact that while he has influence, he does not draft or sign players?

disagreeing with you doesn't mean we are attacking you.

But just like your question, do you have any proof any of our potential LG,will fail?

The answer to both is clearly NO.

And it is to early to tell in this very young season(where no games have yet to be played) if the LG spot will be an issue with who we have or it become a position we won't have to worry about due to who we have starting.

Just like is the pass rush fixed question. Without OTA,TC,the ref season,these are question that have a wait and see,rather than a deffinite yes or no answer.

falconidae likes this

Name one decent offensive lineman who couldn't beat 18 reps.

I have no problem with letting coaches develop players. Remember I was all for drafting the Steelers olb and basically redshirting him. I wanted to draft him specifically because of Quinn's history of developing talent in the front 7.

The difference is if a raw olb fails to pressure the qb, all we stand to lose is 6 points. If a LG is inadequate, we could lose Matt Ryan for a year or more.

Remember Carson Palmer's injury came from inside pressure.

My concern is losing Matt Ryan for an extended time due to TD repeating the Garret Reynolds mistake of assuming a failed OT will become a good G.

no

This is true about ZBS, but I was making a point about the marginalizing of the BP.

eh me personally,I've never seen the BP as a proper way to test someone's strength, much less in a sport that requires much of ones strength coming from the legs.
xskyx likes this

disagreeing with you doesn't mean we are attacking you.

But just like your question, do you have any proof any of our potential LG,will fail?

The answer to both is clearly NO.

And it is to early to tell in this very young season(where no games have yet to be played) if the LG spot will be an issue with who we have or it become a position we won't have to worry about due to who we have starting.

Just like is the pass rush fixed question. Without OTA,TC,the ref season,these are question that have a wait and see,rather than a deffinite yes or no answer.

Actually, I have proof that failure is much more likely than success. Every single in-house LG candidate has failed in their natural positions. Some, like Konz, have failed horrendously.

Where Matt Ryan's health and pocket comfort are concerned, I think erring on the side of surety is wiser than erring on hopes and maybes.

Actually, I have proof that failure is much more likely than success. Every single in-house LG candidate has failed in their natural positions. Some, like Konz, have failed horrendously.

Where Matt Ryan's health and pocket comfort are concerned, I think erring on the side of surety is wiser than erring on hopes and maybes.

You have proof they failed in a power scheme.

Ben Day Hoe likes this

I just want a pic of op giving someone a hug or high 5 or anything positive

I have a ton of posts about Matt Ryan, Jake Matthews, Trufant, and even Beasley. Antone Smith, Roddy, and others as well.

People just never remember positive posts. It's easier to hurl nes and insult someone posting valid concerns.

but have they failed at LG, the answer is unanswered for now.

Ryan has never had an offensive line that has truly protected him. If this was say Byron leftwich and his slow *** release I get it but Ryan has one of the fastest releases in the game today,and that's what has protected him and will continue to protect him.

Their where no LG who would of been able to come in and give the sense of such protection. Just Similar questions.

Step away from the ledge.

I disagree.............ph34r.png

if he'd get CLOSER he could see how far down it is and maybe realize where he's at isn't really such a bad thing?

You have proof they failed in a power scheme.

So failing in a power scheme means automatic success in a ZBS? WOW! I wasn't aware of that!

do you have any proof they won t? or do you just like being an alarmist?

So failing in a power scheme means automatic success in a ZBS? WOW! I wasn't aware of that!

Dude I swear I hope you choke on your ringpop after nap time.

Culain_04 likes this

eh me personally,I've never seen the BP as a proper way to test someone's strength, much less in a sport that requires much of ones strength coming from the legs.

That's why they have other tests. Thing is, there are noticeable prejudices between one work out and the next. Most I have seen are Falcons fans. Maybe because we kind of sucked anyways? BP is for upper body strength, which is still important like it or not.

Oldskooler, You have a valid concern with LG and I think most would agree with that. However, your title is a little over dramatic and you've received a few solid replies.

IMO, the FO would have liked to take OL early but simply saw more talent at other positions where we were drafting. That's basically been said, no I don't have a link.

Hopefully we find a decent to great LG already on the roster but if we don't then there are still cuts coming and it's not always scrubs or guys who don't deserve to start. $ can cause a vet to get cut when a young player deserves more snaps.

All in all LG is a valid concern but we've still got months to figure out who out starter will be. Have a little faith and a good day my fellow Falcon fan.

Are you stating that TD has never made a head-scratching, obvious blunder regarding personnel on either the o- or d-line?

And to be clear, I am blaming this potential impending disaster on TD. The coaches give input, but at the end of the day it is TD who calls the shots and bears responsibility for the talent on the roster.

Or the lack of it.

No I'm saying I think it's a bit odd to overreact to some disaster that hasn't even occurred yet. It reeks of "I hate TD no matter what" instead of actual football talk...

Falkonator and birdz4i like this