Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldskooler

It Is Mind-Boggling, Frightening, And Disturbing.

309 posts in this topic

TD failed to acquire a viable LG in either free agency or the draft. Apparently adding superfluous depth to the CB position via a guy with 10 starts and 4 benchings due to marijuana was more important than Matt Ryan's health.

The plan seems to be to take either an OT that failed to play adequately in his natural position, or a C who failed to win a starting job at his natural position, and expect them to change positions and suddenly shine.

Who could POSSIBLY think this was a good plan?

LG is not some consolation prize for whoever fails at their natural position the least. Any LG candidate currently on the roster is someone who failed to win a job at their natural position, and they are going to be the only thing standing between Matt Ryan and a league full of large, angry, violent defensive tackles and linebackers.

I just cannot believe that our only plan for LG is someone who fails the least at another position.

Ironhead1956, Tandy and Borat like this

As I said in the other thread you said all this in, you should back off on he judgment. Collins hasn't had anything negative since 2013. As for LG, they signed several o-linemen and have several possibilities already on the roster. Whether they are viable or not, we don't know but until something is shown differently on the field, I'm going to trust the staff...

Why oh why doesn't the head coach spend more time on this message board instead of wasting time evaluating film and talking to friends that have coached players. I'm sure he has also been wasting time talking to doctors and trainers about health and rehab progress. Gosh, I sure hope Dan Quinn realizes he needs a starting LG. I bet that slipped his mind... Won't someone direct the coach to the wisdom of this message board?? My goodness, the season is almost over.

To be fair, there weren't any good Guards in the 2nd round that I think would've been able to help us right away. Shoot we took Jake last year in the 1st (being the most polished and game ready rookie) and he still had a bad year. (Sure most of it was probably due to injury and being flip flopped around, but iirc he was rated one of the worst tackles last year. That is sad considering he was picked at #6 overall. lol

I don't have a problem with not filling the Guard spot with a legit starter due to the fact we can't fill every hole on a team in a single draft. We had a lot of holes, and TD and Pioli did a darn good job plugging them...at least on paper anyway.

I agree with you that LG is our biggest need but with how the offseason has gone so far I'll give Quinn and co the benefit of the doubt. They seem like they have a plan. If it was last year's staff I'd be worried.

As far as Collins. He was a good pick. We needed a CB2 as Alford is a nickel corner (been saying that for forever). He only lacks technique which is coachable and he's a perfect fit for Quinn's scheme.

Falconsfan567 and dsgbncali like this

"Quinn didn't address every hole during FA in his first year. FIRE

I know, shocked they aren't calling for Smitty to return...lol

We wouldn't be in this horrendous situation if Smitty was still in charge.

I kid. Lets see what the staff has in mind before jumping off a building.

We all can cross our fingers that Quinn has a plan at LG. I am slightly worried, but overall this year's draft was much better than previous year's attempts. That is especially evident in the later rounds. When was the last time everyone was talking (positively) about a 5th round pick of the Falcons? I do lament the loss of the the 6th round pick. There was the chance to get a plausible LG starter. Overall great draft as rated by me and all the other draft experts out there (ha ha). Guess we'll wait until next year to get the LG, TE and FS.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

Lots of pithy quips.

Lots of Quinn defenses, despite the fact I never mentioned Quinn.

Lots of hope and faith and trust.

Not one definitive answer at LG.

If CB2 fails at his job, we give up a cheap touchdown. If the LG fails at his job Matt Ryan could get hurt, and we give up a whole SEASON. Which is worse?

No one uad even tried to disprove a single word of my initial post. The only current plan at LG is someone who fails elsewhere. We do not uave a single player who has proven to be competent at their own position, let alone competent to change positions and succeed.

How so? I think the OP raises a valid concern.

You mean the concern that already has older threads on the first page?

Uh huh...

To be fair, there weren't any good Guards in the 2nd round that I think would've been able to help us right away. Shoot we took Jake last year in the 1st (being the most polished and game ready rookie) and he still had a bad year. (Sure most of it was probably due to injury and being flip flopped around, but iirc he was rated one of the worst tackle.

^^this^^

Complain, if you want, that the Falcons didn't overpay for a FA LG (not sure who you think it was that was on the market and great), but unless someone wants to name the LG that was there at #42, shut up whining that the Falcons didn't draft a LG. Or at least go on the record now and declare which LG in the draft is better than the OL already on the roster.

Whining vociferously about what the FO didn't do while being vague about what specifically they should have done is not worth posting over and over and over again.

You mean the concern that already has older threads on the first page?

Uh huh...

What's your point? Plenty of logical replies in this thread, not counting the few juvenile replies like yours.

There's 15 threads which also duplicates pass rush, prediction of Falcons record, the draft grade, Beasley season, Coleman, free agency, Quinn's enthusiasm, et al

jnc, Sobeit and zekeyboy1 like this

What's your point? Plenty of logical replies in this thread, not counting the few juvenile replies like yours.

There's 15 threads which also duplicates pass rush, prediction of Falcons record, the draft grade, Beasley season, Coleman, free agency, Quinn's enthusiasm, et al

Meh. I'm not gonna sit and argue with you over your buddy.

Carry on