Pete Carroll Is Trying To Sweep Irvin's Atlanta Talks Under The Rug.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Seattle Seahawks linebacker Bruce Irvin's recent declaration that he would be playing in Atlanta in 2016 doesn't mean what everyone thinks it does, according to coach Pete Carroll's interpretation of those remarks.

Speaking with reporters prior to his induction into the USC Athletics Hall of Fame on Saturday, Carroll said Irvin was not announcing a move to the Falcons next season. Irvin told BlackSportsOnline.com, ''I'm going to be in Atlanta next season,'' at an Atlanta Hawks playoff game.

''I'm really glad you asked me that, because he didn't say that,'' Carroll said. ''We've been talking all along. He has been working out in Atlanta for these three weeks, and he said (that) in response to the question 'Do you want to come back home?' He said everybody likes to come back home, and it's a dream to come back home. It wasn't in reference to leaving us and coming back (to the Falcons). He was really adamant about it, and I asked him to leave it and not go at it anymore.''

The Seahawks declined to exercise Irvin's fifth-year option earlier this month, which would make the former first-round pick a free agent after this season. Irvin, who has 16 1/2 career sacks in three seasons, took to Twitter to express his unhappiness with that decision, and has been linked to a move to the Falcons ever since.

Not only is Irvin an Atlanta native, but former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is now the Falcons head coach. Atlanta has a glaring need for edge pass-rushers to improve a defense that ranked tied for 30th in sacks last season.

Carroll said the furor over Irvin's comments on social media and to internet outlets merely reflected the new media landscape.

''Anybody can put those messages out, and they have a life to them,'' Carroll said. ''Our guys are getting better at understanding that, and Bruce has learned again from this lesson.''

Irvin is a good player don't get me wrong, but most teams don't run the 4-3 under as Carroll, Bradley, and Quinn do. Irvin knows his best situation is to stay in this kind of system. Not to say he won't draw interest from 4-3 teams or 3-4 teams as an outside linebacker, but he would than be required to play in coverage and not do what he does best and get after the QB.

Irvin is a good player don't get me wrong, but most teams don't run the 4-3 under as Carroll, Bradley, and Quinn do. Irvin knows his best situation is to stay in this kind of system. Not to say he won't draw interest from 4-3 teams or 3-4 teams as an outside linebacker, but he would than be required to play in coverage and not do what he does best and get after the QB.

Irvin is good in coverage. He had 2 ints and returned both for tds last season.

Irvin is more than just a pass rusher.

So, don't care enough to look up the direct quote, but Carroll could be correct, that the quote was taken out of context.

But, even if Irvin did say that, doesn't mean that he'll be playing in Atlanta in 2016. He may have simply been negotiating through the media or just angry they didn't pick up his option.

With the hundreds of examples of both teams and individual players lying/mistaken in public, see no reason to take Irvin at face value.

So, don't care enough to look up the direct quote, but Carroll could be correct, that the quote was taken out of context.

But, even if Irvin did say that, doesn't mean that he'll be playing in Atlanta in 2016. He may have simply been negotiating through the media or just angry they didn't pick up his option.

With the hundreds of examples of both teams and individual players lying/mistaken in public, see no reason to take Irvin at face value.

Fair enough, but I still think there are some dots to connect.

Can't really trust what comes out of Carroll's mouth when it comes to situations with disgruntled players.

Remember Carroll saying that Percy Harvin wasn't a problem and that moving on from him wasn't in the Seahawks future plans? Harvin was then traded to the Jets.

It's not just Carroll, this is what all coaches should do.

Spoon said publicly that he would take less money and a one year prove it deal to stay in Atlanta. He signed in Arizona for more money and a 2 year deal. If I wanted to, I could give you hundreds of examples like that.

OK, so looks like misinterpretation is off the table. Still think it may be just Irvin being angry at not having the option used or a negotiating tactic.

Seahawks may have talked to him afterwards and said, Don't worry, we'll take care of you, just have to get Russell signed before we can do anything else.

Wouldn't be surprised if Irvin is a Falcons next year, also wouldn't be surprised if he signs a 5 year extension with the hawks.