Steven A Smith

Tweenthehedges

Lol at you calling me a homer. The truth is you're just a hater.

For the record curry won 100 games in two years and single handedly destroyed the ncaa tournament. Are you really making the case curry isn't a winner?

And I'll let our record against the West speak for itself.

Not a great team... We're a number 1 seed. Get outta here.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bud also has 4 2015 All stars on his roster right now. Horford went to All star games before Bud also. So let's not act like Bud took scraps and built a juggernaut.

He took some talent and instilled some chemistry. He helped the Hawks become relevant in the East.

So 4 all stars minus 1. Thats 3...do you even know where Carroll Millsap and Teague were before they met bud? The land of average.

Lol at you calling me a homer. The truth is you're just a hater.

For the record curry won 100 games in two years and single handedly destroyed the ncaa tournament. Are you really making the case curry isn't a winner?

And I'll let our record against the West speak for itself.

Not a great team... We're a number 1 seed. Get outta here.

For the record the Hawks did not play against the West on a night in and night out basis. A few games here and there.

#1 seed in the East. Great accomplishment. We shall see if they make it past Cleveland how they do in a series against a Western conference team. Not one game.

I think the reason why Kerr doesn't get that much credit because I think many knew that Golden State before Kerr got there could be a top team if they only played some defense consistently. On offense, they aren't really much different (if at all) than when Jackson was coaching them. Now they're playing defense, and lo and behold they're a 60-win team.

I'll give it to Kerr for instilling the defense in that team, but offensively they were pretty much already set.

Bud revamped the entire playing style for the Hawks. Besides the defense, the Hawks went from running offense that was predicated on isolation plays to offense predicated on ball movement and a heavy dose of pick-n-roll/pick-n-pop. The result, a team that was perennially average in both offense and defense became one of the league's best in both categories. The last two seasons (including postseasons) we've led the league in assist rate (which is darn near 70%).

Which is more impressive? Going from 38-44 (#8 seed) to 60-22 (#1 seed) with the same roster or 51-31 (#6 seed) to 67-15 (#1 seed)?

Going from 38 wins to 60 in the East really isn't that impressive. The east had a team below .500 go to the playoffs for crying out loud.

The Spurs won 55 games in the West and were a 7th seed. In the East they would be a second seed. Big gap in level of competition.

The west had a 7th seed that won 55 games. That would have been 2nd in the East. Please tell me again how great the Hawks are for getting the #1 seed in the east.

The West didn't have one team below .500 in playoffs. Did the east have any?

I'll reiterate, last season the Hawks was that team under .500 (38-44) that proceeded to win 60 games the next season and compiling a record of 21-8 vs the mighty West.

It's a convenient argument to say that the West is better than the East when using it to discredit the Hawks. But my gosh no one dares to touch it when talking about Lebron's Cavaliers. What a lame cop out. Conferences don't determine how good or bad one team is.

People who think this way better hope and pray that the Hawks flame out in the Finals. Hate to see a lowly East team win against a West team in the most important game of the season, especially one that needed 6 games to beat a sub .500 team.

Edited by JerseyNo12

Going from 38 wins to 60 in the East really isn't that impressive. The east had a team below .500 go to the playoffs for crying out loud.

The Spurs won 55 games in the West and were a 7th seed. In the East they would be a second seed. Big gap in level of competition.

21 wins against the West is quite an accomplishment from a team coming off of 38 wins the prior season.

They were the 6th seed.

It's a convenient argument to say that the West is better than the East when using it to discredit the Hawks. But my gosh no one dares to touch it when talking about Lebron's Cavaliers. What a lame cop out. Conferences don't determine how good or bad one team is.

People who think this way better hope and pray that the Hawks flame out in the Finals. Hate to see a lowly East team lose to a West team in the most important game of the season, especially one that needed 6 games to beat a sub .500 team.

This

"But this conference" is the same d@mn lazy @ss argument used year after year to bash certain agenda points over the head. Is their some truth in it? yes. Is it vastly overstated and relied on as if it were some exact science or religious doctrine? HeII yes. Taking the Hawks record and trying to put a "if they were in the Westren conference" lens filter on it is a fools game. We can't know and frankly it doesn't really matter. Fact is they won 60 games while beating the snot out of BOTH conferences to do it.

Lol is this guy serious.

The West is over-rated as heII,

Houston doesn't play defense and relies on a line where you get free points to win. Clippers have no bench. Mavs play no defense. Pelicans have a star and mediocre players, also without any defense. All of Portland's players went through a huge regression this year. Memphis only plays consistently on one side of the floor.

With these flaws, NONE of these teams are legitimate contenders to win championships. The Warriors and Spurs are the only two complete teams out there, and the Spurs have age and injury problems, not to mention fatigue after back/back finals runs.

You can look at records all you want. Fact is, only two of these eight were ever gonna be legitimately in the conversation.

People who think this way better hope and pray that the Hawks flame out in the Finals. Hate to see a lowly East team lose to a West team in the most important game of the season, especially one that needed 6 games to beat a sub .500 team.

I'm pretty sure ATL, CLE, and CHI had stellar records against the West. This myth is only around due to the bottom half of the East, and even so the bottom half of the West is no better\.

By the way, Bud coached the Western Conference for the first what, 10-15 years of his career with Pop? He knows it inside out. We would be top 3 in the West just like we were in the East. This argument is so silly.

He was an assistant coach. Not the coach. The Hawks don't have near the talent to be top 3 in the west. maybe a top 6 team.

Hawks homers are funny.

Lol is this guy serious.

The West is over-rated as heII,

Houston doesn't play defense and relies on a line where you get free points to win. Clippers have no bench. Mavs play no defense. Pelicans have a star and mediocre players, also without any defense. All of Portland's players went through a huge regression this year. Memphis only plays consistently on one side of the floor.

With these flaws, NONE of these teams are legitimate contenders to win championships. The Warriors and Spurs are the only two complete teams out there, and the Spurs have age and injury problems, not to mention fatigue after back/back finals runs.

You can look at records all you want. Fact is, only two of these eight were ever gonna be legitimately in the conversation.

i can't agree. Clippers and Grizz definitely had a chance to make the Finals. If it were any team besides the Warriors,Memphis wins that series. And i can't see how the West is overrated. They have a lot of good teams out there

I'm sure they would. The 2015 Atlanta Hawks are the greatest team ever. Led by the best coach the NBA has ever seen. No one stands a chance against the Hawks. NBA you have been warned.

I'm not a Hawks fan so this post is irrelevant to me. I just know the soft *** Rockets would get demolished by the Hawks

i can't agree. Clippers and Grizz definitely had a chance to make the Finals. If it were any team besides the Warriors,Memphis wins that series. And i can't see how the West is overrated. They have a lot of good teams out there

Clippers would wear out eventually and the Grizzlies can't score. Why do you think these teams can never get over the hump?

Clippers would wear out eventually and the Grizzlies can't score. Why do you think these teams can never get over the hump?

takes a lot to get over that championship hump. Golden State just made the conference finals for the first time. Hawks too. Clippers just choke that series away.