Robert Alford Staying Out Of Fs Mix

Yep.

I think Alford had a okay rookie year, but a pretty bad 2nd year before going on IR. I don't see him as a lock for retaining the starting #2 corner spot.

How well he improves his technique and how well Collins develops more of his technique will determine who wins the starting #2 CB spot at the end of camp.

I feel Alford is the clear starter going into camp. Collins also is healing from surgery, as well as having the obvious technique/system learning curve of a rookie .

Collins IMO was a similar pick as Hageman was last year, raw, talented, but unpolished......not too much should be expected in first half of rookie season

Edited by Vandy
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He lost his starting spot in 2013 after 2 games because he wasn't ready, but he did work his way back to being a starter again for the last 8 games of the 2014 season.

Alford wasn't a better prospect coming out of college, but Alford had more experience starting.

if alford had more experience then how isnt that comparable to being a better prospect?

Alford can play off man press man, cover two coming out of college and played NB as well.. he was far more along in his development then collins, whhich made him the better prospect coming out..

Potential has no place for this subject only talent and production.

I'm not projecting him to do anything, I'm just saying that I think that he will be competing against Alford for the #2 corner spot.

Alford struggled last season so it is hard to say how better he is at this point in time. Alford's game is flawed as well.

Both Collins and Alford need coaching up in the technique part of their game. Yes Alford has played well at times as a starting CB, but lets not think that he can't be beaten out by someone or even a potential rookie by the time camp is over. Either one has a chance to be the starting #2 corner by the end of camp.

ok well ill say it now from what ive seen from both players.

Collins WILL NOT be startkng outside by week 1.

Its alfords job to lose

Alford is really no more egregious than Sherman. Some guys are gonna get the call, some aren't. The worst game I've seen from Alford was against the Bears last year where you could look into his eyes and see that he had lost all confidence. He was getting mugged by every receiver that lined up against him, but if he wrestled back it was an instant penalty and on top of that, the receiver was still making the catch. It was like Chris Owens had jumped into his body. That was coming off a game where he drew 4 penalties and refs knew to look for him. If we have to tie his hands behind his back this off-season then so be it. He has the skill to cover almost anyone.

I think DQ's mantra of simplifying the game and putting him positions of strength where he can succeed will pay dividends for Alford and if I'm honest I'm not to worried here.You can't teach speed you got it or you haven't,Alford will be fine.

Interesting to hear right from Quinn's mouth that Alf's still our outside guy. I could see a Tru-Alf combo in base, then slide Tru inside and line up Collins outside in sub packages.

Agreed.

I hope by having 3 guys Tru gets to move around and be our matchup guy vs there best guy instead of just locking down Tru in 1 spot.

if alford had more experience then how isnt that comparable to being a better prospect?

Alford can play off man press man, cover two coming out of college and played NB as well.. he was far more along in his development then collins, whhich made him the better prospect coming out..

Potential has no place for this subject only talent and production.

Better prospect usually means the player with the better potential upside based on physical traits and how they may adapt to the NFL game. Which is why many thought that Ryan Leaf was the better prospect than Peyton Manning. Ryan Leaf was the better prospect, too bad that he didn't have Peyton's work ethic or common sense.

I get what you are saying though. I would say that Alford was a bit more polished technique wise in certain aspects coming out than Collins.

In other words, Alford was a bit more NFL ready when he came in while Collins has the more potential upside based on his talent with his size.

I'm not saying the defense will be the same as in Seattle but chances are this will not happen as Sherman didn't do this in Seattle.

For me we have seen Trufant's versatility I think its a mistake to lock him up in one spot.I would'nt be worried what Sherman does.We have to do whats best for us and I'll say it now I want my best cover corner matched with the opponents best guy and if that means he does something Revis island and Sherman don't do so be it.

For me we have seen Trufant's versatility I think its a mistake to lock him up in one spot.I would'nt be worried what Sherman does.We have to do whats best for us and I'll say it now I want my best cover corner matched with the opponents best guy and if that means he does something Revis island and Sherman don't do so be it.

It wasn't really based on what I think he can or can't do but you also have to think about how it affects the other corners.

While we both think Trufant can switch between left and right corner and maintain his same abilities, we can't assume that Alford and Collins or whoever else can also do the same because they have to switch as well.

They may be able to play ok but are their talents maintained or the same as they would be if all they had to focus on was one side of the field. Remember one of Quinn's big thing when it comes to his defense is simplicity.

This makes it more complicated.

It's not just that, the communication between the corner and the safety behind now changes to a different voice.

It's not just Trufant being affected.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Yeah, that's definitely one aspect of the Seattle Scheme I'd avoid. They can manage it because all their DB's are pretty good and equal, but Tru needs to shadow the #1, or we're wasting his talent.

It wasn't really based on what I think he can or can't do but you also have to think about how it affects the other corners.

While we both think Trufant can switch between left and right corner and maintain his same abilities, we can't assume that Alford and Collins or whoever else can also do the same because they have to switch as well.

They may be able to play ok but are their talents maintained or the same as they would be if all they had to focus on was one side of the field. Remember one of Quinn's big thing when it comes to his defense is simplicity.

It's not just that, the communication between the corner and the safety behind now changes to a different voice.

Alf has been moved around his whole career here same as Tru. I think that was one thing Quinn talked up about Collins as well, was his ability to play wherever, if I'm not mistaken. You need to be able to take advantage of matchups, I don't think Quinn would go for guys that can only play one side of the field, he preaches versatility too much.

Better prospect usually means the player with the better potential upside based on physical traits and how they may adapt to the NFL game. Which is why many thought that Ryan Leaf was the better prospect than Peyton Manning. Ryan Leaf was the better prospect, too bad that he didn't have Peyton's work ethic or common sense.

I get what you are saying though. I would say that Alford was a bit more polished technique wise in certain aspects coming out than Collins.

In other words, Alford was a bit more NFL ready when he came in while Collins has the more potential upside based on his talent with his size.

i get what you mean as well, im just saying that coming out that yr at that moment i believe alford was/is the better prospect.

I dnt agree that his size has anything to do with it except that quinn like size at the position. Not a must more so then a want. If you can play size is irrelevant.(brent grimes)

At the end of the day i hope both players end up here for a long time

Point taken can't argue with that logic at all.

Yeah, that's definitely one aspect of the Seattle Scheme I'd avoid. They can manage it because all their DB's are pretty good and equal, but Tru needs to shadow the #1, or we're wasting his talent.

Alf has been moved around his whole career here same as Tru. I think that was one thing Quinn talked up about Collins as well, was his ability to play wherever, if I'm not mistaken. You need to be able to take advantage of matchups, I don't think Quinn would go for guys that can only play one side of the field, he preaches versatility too much.

Although Maxwell's family and mine are very close down here in Charleston, can we really call them good outside of Seattle's defense.

Granted Maxwell has an opportunity to show that with Philly but...

Browner...bounced around, not resigned by Pats, and was swapped in and out of the starting role with the Pats.

Can't remember the other guy but I guess that's the point.

The Seahawks have changed out that 2nd CB 3 times and haven't batted an eye.

Also I'm not saying they can't play at other spots but is that using them to the best of their abilities?

Remember Quinn likes to place players in positions where they EXCEL...excel being the key word.

I would be extremely shocked to see Tru shadow WRs. He didn't do it previously as the defensive coordinator so why do you think he would go a different route. Quinn had the leeway to change that in Seattle. Why do you think he didn't have that option?

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Alford is really no more egregious than Sherman. Some guys are gonna get the call, some aren't. The worst game I've seen from Alford was against the Bears last year where you could look into his eyes and see that he had lost all confidence. He was getting mugged by every receiver that lined up against him, but if he wrestled back it was an instant penalty and on top of that, the receiver was still making the catch. It was like Chris Owens had jumped into his body. That was coming off a game where he drew 4 penalties and refs knew to look for him. If we have to tie his hands behind his back this off-season then so be it. He has the skill to cover almost anyone.

The differnce in Sherman and alford is sherman grabs skin. The refs will hardly ever call if you grab skin. They are looking for the jersey tug. It's all just nuances of the game that alford has to learn. All the greats have a legal cheat sheet. Jordan used to tap your elbow as you shot, Bird would tug at the jersey while he was close. Being that quinn is our coach now he may pass on some of sherms techniques to eleviate the calls. It's just knowing what to do, how to do it, and when to do it.

I am just having a hard time seeing where Dez Southward fits into all of this. If Quinn truly feels this way about Alford & we just drafted Collins, why are we moving him to CB when we have zero depth at FS.

may the best man win. We will run a lot of 3 corner packages and they have to be able to cover their guy 1 on 1.

The same TD and Smitty that signed Stone?

You do realize that Scott Pioli was hired last year and was in charge of the college talent? People act like Pioli just sat on his *** all year last year and had no part in drafting or college free agents....