Dan Quinn: Falcons Still Talking To Joe Barksdale

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/13434/dan-quinn-falcons-still-talking-to-joe-barksdale

ATLANTA -- Although the Atlanta Falcons brought in veteran Tyler Polumbuson a one-year contract, they aren't quite done looking for help at offensive tackle.

Head coach Dan Quinn said the team remains interested in free agent Joe Barksdale, who started all 16 games at right tackle for theSt. Louis Rams last season. Barksdale recently worked out for the Falcons.

"He's still somebody that we're actively talking to," Quinn said of Barksdale.

The Falcons need depth at tackle going into the season and need bodies to help get them through the offseason as well. Starting left tackle Jake Matthews is recovering from surgery to repair a Lisfranc ligament tear in his foot. Fellow offensive tackle Sam Baker also remains sidelined coming off knee surgery. Ryan Schraeder and Lamar Holmes worked as the first-team tackles during voluntary minicamp.

Quinn talked about why the Falcons signed Polumbus, who lost his starting job with the Washington Redskins last season. Polumbus played under Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan when Shanahan held the same title in Washington, and he played for Seattle when Quinn was the Seahawks' assistant head coach/defensive line.

"I think No. 1 with Tyler, we like the length out at tackle," Quinn said. "He's proven where he's been a swing player before where he's played both right and left. We wanted to add more competition to the group, and that's certainly what Tyler does. Remember, we've had some experience with him, so we know the grit level and how hard he's willing to go. ... We had another chance to add a player to the team to add to the overall competitiveness of the group."

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DO NOT WANT THIS TURNED INTO A SMITTY THREAD, but this is night and day from previous years. Usually we bring in a Trueblood and expect that to fix everything. This year we're like "screw it, sign em all and let camp sort em out". I love it.

Have you seen our o line? Get all of em!

More bodies doesn't mean we're getting better...

Matthews is coming off of an injury and let's stop kidding, as far as rookies go, he was very average.

Well if you're planning on Barksdale or Polumbus to start... that's a whole other issue. I wouldn't take them over 4 other OT's already on the roster. Just seems strange.

Well if you're planning on Barksdale or Polumbus to start... that's a whole other issue. I wouldn't take them over 4 other OT's already on the roster. Just seems strange.

Nothing wrong with having options at a weak postiton.

This isn't that type of team anymore. They will have strong and comparable competition at every position. Upgrade the following year after evals.

This isn't that type of team anymore. They will have strong and comparable competition at every position. Upgrade the following year after evals.

Yeah but there's a line between getting more competition and then just wasting money. We already have a ton of OT's on the roster, is Barksdale that good to actually make a difference?

I'm glad we are going to have significant competition this summer. But I wonder how much turnover we can have and still maintain a squad with good chemistry.

But TATF logic says that if we aren't signing players, we aren't looking to do so and consequently,we aren't trying to get better. Also, if we are signing them but aren't signing the players we like, we aren't trying to get better. Finally, if the coaches have held minicamp and like what they see (that we don't have the benefit of witnessing), then they are clueless and not trying to get better.

Yeah but there's a line between getting more competition and then just wasting money. We already have a ton of OT's on the roster, is Barksdale that good to actually make a difference?

If some players need the extra motivation that comes from competition is it really wasting money?