First number is their rookie year, second number is 2014.

1) Justin Houston 5.5/22.0

2) JJ Watt 5.5/20.5

3) Elvis Dumervil 8.5/17.0

4) Mario Williams 4.5/14.5

5) Connor Barwin 4.5/14.5

6) Von Miller 11.5/14.0

7) Ryan Kerrigan 7.5/13.5

8) Jason Pierre Paul 4.5/12.5

9) Terrell Suggs 12.0/12.0

10) Everson Griffen 0.0/12.0

Again, I do believe Beasley can beat the odds and have a rather productive rookie season. But I won't be abandoning ship if he doesn't. Matter of fact, as long as I see him getting pressure and he has at least 4 sacks (Mack/Barr were good examples of that last year) I'd say he might still be worth the #8 pick, and remain optimistic. Expecting closer to 8 sacks, despite his double digit sack prediction, but neither would surprise me. Prepped for the downers and impatient Gurley-ites regardless.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that Beasley wants to get double digits next season, but the odds are very clearly against him, and he has no say in how he'll be used. 4 sacks would be disappointing, but 8 would be an absolute delight and nearly double our leading pass rusher from last season. If everyone else chips in a handful, we'll have a good pass rush again.

Beasley's upside is what is intoxicating. He has a very rare combination of speed, power and agility. Good coaching could make him a nightmare very quickly.

I think he gets 8+ really. First reason is because of his "DPR" status and the second reason is because his bread and butter is speed and that should translate to the NFL right away. A lot of the guys on that list are typical DEs and they needed to learn what moves will get you around LTs. Beasley will need to do that as well, but right away he already has a winning move in his pocket and thats speed. Similar to Von Miller.

He will also be fresh most of the time going against tired tackles on 3rd down. This will only make him faster.

Im not saying he will have 8+ pivotal game changing "abraham" like sacks, but I see him getting quite a few in the flow of the game like Osi did 2 years ago.

First number is their rookie year, second number is 2014.

1) Justin Houston 5.5/22.0

2) JJ Watt 5.5/20.5

3) Elvis Dumervil 8.5/17.0

4) Mario Williams 4.5/14.5

5) Connor Barwin 4.5/14.5

6) Von Miller 11.5/14.0

7) Ryan Kerrigan 7.5/13.5

8) Jason Pierre Paul 4.5/12.5

9) Terrell Suggs 12.0/12.0

10) Everson Griffen 0.0/12.0

Again, I do believe Beasley can beat the odds and have a rather productive rookie season. But I won't be abandoning ship if he doesn't. Matter of fact, as long as I see him getting pressure and he has at least 4 sacks (Mack/Barr were good examples of that last year) I'd say he might still be worth the #8 pick, and remain optimistic. Expecting closer to 8 sacks, despite his double digit sack prediction, but neither would surprise me. Prepped for the downers and impatient Gurley-ites regardless.

I'll be happy as long as he gets more than the last 'edge-rusher' we drafted in the top 10.

I will give him 4-6 only because it may take him a few games to adjust to the NFL and teams will be game planning against him.

That being said, with Beasley as the focal point other players like Babs, Clayborn, Hage, Jarrett should see some one on ones and produce more pressure.

As long as the dline is very disruptive and getting QBs off their spot I'm good.

Edited by FentayeJones

Sacks are OVERATED. There's 1000 Def plays a year and we worry if a guy gets 4, 6 or 8 sacks. I want a pass rush that makes the QB nervous all game by getting pressure, hits, hands in his face and so on and if the sacks come then great.

I get what you're saying but sacks are rated right where they should be...HIGHLY. Get two or three early sacks in a game and watch how the opposing team changes their game plan towards you. A sackmaster strikes fear from just the threat alone.

Sacks are GREAT. The opposing offense loses a down and yards. A sack is often a drive killer. A drive killing play is not "overrated".

That said, yes, constant pressure on the QB is also great. But when you do that you often end up getting sacks here and there. So I say again... sacks are GREAT!

Never said sacks weren't great and as I said pressure is important but do you know what is also important? Incomplete passes, runs for no or very little gain, great tackling, INTs and fumble recovers and they kill 20-50 times more drives than sacks but don't get a quarter of the attention sacks get, hence sacks are overrated. I understand sacks are rear and sexy and are shown on highlights so that's why they grab the attention. Truth is sacks happen on about 22-40 out of about 1000 plays and will have less impact on a season than something like missed tackles, now missed tackles that is something that is very underated. Edited by nevesmetro

Sacks are GREAT. The opposing offense loses a down and yards. A sack is often a drive killer. A drive killing play is not "overrated".

That said, yes, constant pressure on the QB is also great. But when you do that you often end up getting sacks here and there. So I say again... sacks are GREAT!

Exactly. A TFL on a QB can really set the tone, especially if you are struggling in other areas.

Never said sacks weren't great and as I said pressure is important but do you know what is also important? Incomplete passes, runs for no or very little gain, great tackling, INTs and fumble recovers and they kill 20-50 times more drives than sacks but don't get a quarter of the attention sacks get, hence sacks are overrated. I understand sacks are rear and sexy and are shown on highlights so that's why they grab the attention. Truth is sacks happen on about 22-40 out of about 1000 plays and will have less impact on a season than something like missed tackles, now missed tackles that is something that is very underated.

Seahawks had 36 and the Patriots had 40 last year. You want about 35, but can live if you don't...especially if you can at least make the passer uncomfortable and make tackles.

Never said sacks weren't great and as I said pressure is important but do you know what is also important? Incomplete passes, runs for no or very little gain, great tackling, INTs and fumble recovers and they kill 20-50 times more drives than sacks but don't get a quarter of the attention sacks get, hence sacks are overrated. I understand sacks are rear and sexy and are shown on highlights so that's why they grab the attention. Truth is sacks happen on about 22-40 out of about 1000 plays and will have less impact on a season than something like missed tackles, now missed tackles that is something that is very underated.

Exactly. A TFL on a QB can really set the tone, especially if you are struggling in other areas.

Seahawks had 36 and the Patriots had 40 last year. You want about 35, but can live if you don't...especially if you can at least make the passer uncomfortable and make tackles.

I don't think that Sacks are overrated. Sacks crush opposing teams momentum and rattle a QB. The down is completely erased. But the QB won't forget getting hit. The fear of a sack is the most important thing to an opposing team's passing attack. The act of actually getting a sack is important as without the production the fear of a sack doesn't exist.

Also we know that the #1 and #2 had plenty of sacks. So how are they overrated? They lead to tentativeness from OCs and QBs. They disrupt the timing of ANY offense. Just the fear of them can cause issues for an offense. Sacks are arguable vital for a team's success. What team ever won without getting to the passer a good number of times?

I really miss those days when we had Kerney and Smith coming off the edges. Those 2 would get after a QB. "I bet that one ****ing hurt!" And Beasley projects to be better than either of them ever thought of being.

I like the way the future looks from here. I hope it comes to fruition.

The added value of a sack is potentially knocking the opposing starting QB out of the game. Yes, consistent pressure is better overall than irregular sacks, but a sack most likely means a defensive player is laying on top of the QB or throwing them to the ground awkwardly. That physical punishment is significant.