Daniel Jeremiah Tweet About Julio

Injury history is very subjective when you talk about Julio.For me its the way he plays the game that gives fans this injury history thing.Would fans prefer to see Julio shy away and not play as physical I think not.

I never understood the whole injury thing and for me as many have said his playing ability on the field is beyond reproach so how can fans complain when #11 gets paid to me it makes me laugh.

Man all I know is when he gets that contract I'll be the first to go buy another #11 jersey.

I've done this before but I'll do this again:

Calvin Johnson (1st 4 years): 60 games, 270 catches, 4,191 yards, 33 TDs

Julio Jones (1st 4 years): 49 games, 278 catches, 4,330 yards, 26 TDs

If Julio hadn't been hurt in 2013 he'd be blowing Calvin Johnson out of the water statistically. As it is, he is still ahead of him in every category except TDs.

I'd have absolutely no problem giving him a Megatron contract. None at all...

You have no problem paying a receiver $20+ million a year??? Johnson has cap hits higher than Matt Ryan's, but you don't mind paying Julio the same?

You have no problem paying a receiver $20+ million a year??? Johnson has cap hits higher than Matt Ryan's, but you don't mind paying Julio the same?

He's not signed for 20+ million per year. That's the way the Lions decided to structure it. They've already gotten 3 years of an $11 million average cap hit on that contract.

He's not signed for 20+ million per year. That's the way the Lions decided to structure it. They've already gotten 3 years of an $11 million average cap hit on that contract.

True, just looked up up thanks. $16 million average is a better number if we'll be using Julio like Andre Johnson was used in Houston.

Not yourself or Falcunuck, but folks need to understand market value. Every argument I have ever seen complaining about Ryan's contract and not Julio's don't seem to understand economics 101.

Market value isn't always in line with team value though. The question isn't whether Julio can get $16+ from the market but whether his value to this team is worth $16. A question I don't see asked a lot on here is, how much of Julio's success can be attributed to Ryan.

Why are you worried about that contract.

Theres no way we back load like the Lions have.

Structure is the key not the amounts I see alot were crying about Ryans contract but the majority of his guaranteed money has been front loaded so it still leaves flexibility going foward.

I see much the same for #11 the guys getting paid no 2 ways about it.Its the above we have to be worried about structure will be the key.

Thats one thing we can't complain about with the FO cap wise they have been excellent.

Why are you worried about that contract.

Theres no way we back load like the Lions have.

Structure is the key not the amounts I see alot were crying about Ryans contract but the majority of his guaranted money has been front loaded so it still leaves flexibility go foward.

I see much the same for #11 the guys getting paid no 2 ways about it.Its the above we have to be worried about structure will be the key.

Thats onething we can't complain about with the FO cap wise they have been excellent.

Yeah someone already corrected me

Market value isn't always in line with team value though. The question isn't whether Julio can get $16+ from the market but whether his value to this team is worth $16. A question I don't see asked a lot on here is, how much of Julio's success can be attributed to Ryan.

teams go by the market that is set and the prodution the player has done and will do in the future.

Teams dnt just cluelessly pick a number they will pay a player and ignore the perres around him.

Thats exactcly why dallas,cincy and us are trying to see where all there #1 WRs should get paid. as soon as one of them signs the others will too.

Because the market would have been set, and teams now know where to start negotiations

Edited by madman88

If you want one of the top whatever position players you have to oay for it. We aren't hurting for cap. Sorry but this is one of the most asinine things a fan can complain about for me. Good players are paid what they're paid and the league sets the market. I dont want a Walmart team. I will take quality and applaud our guys for being good enough to garner a higher end contract.

Julio, like many other top notch WRs, is going to struggle with nagging soft tissue injuries for most of the rest of his career. That's the nature of those types of guys at that position.

The only thing we should TRULY care about, is his fortune/ability in avoiding "catastrophic" injuries that cost him large stretches of games.

I'll deal with Julio being limited with a hammy or whatever because we know he plays through that stuff and plays well. It's the broken foot, ACL tear, etc that we have to fear.

Lions painted themselves into a corner with megatron. He got a large rookie contract because he was drafted right before the new CBA, then the lions , IIRC, franchised him twice, then they had to base his contract on that.

Falcons didn't do any of that, Jones hasn't had the production Johnson has had, and hasn't stayed healthy. No reason to think that Jones automatically gets a 20 mil a year deal. Yeah, I know, megatron didn't either, but that seems to be what the people objecting to Jones signing a new deal think.

Then, there the rapidly rising cap number- even if they sign Jones for 16 mil a year, which I think is improbable, if the the salary goes up past 150 mil and keeps climbing, who cares?

Would like to see them sign him to a very large salary first year or two and keep the cap hits down myself, as others have suggested, but pay the man.

If you want one of the top whatever position players you have to oay for it. We aren't hurting for cap. Sorry but this is one of the most asinine things a fan can complain about for me. Good players are paid what they're paid and the league sets the market. I dont want a Walmart team. I will take quality and applaud our guys for being good enough to garner a higher end contract.

Well it's in the same realm of a fan complaining about a top 10 pick going to a running back. Resource management is something to be considered, not simply 'market value is A, we pay A+'

Plenty of teams have refused to pay good players market value and succeeded and failed afterwards. Just part of the game and thus a discussion point on this forum. Don't see how it's asinine to discuss it.

Well it's in the same realm of a fan complaining about a top 10 pick going to a running back. Resource management is something to be considered, not simply 'market value is A, we pay A+'

Plenty of teams have refused to pay good players market value and succeeded and failed afterwards. Just part of the game and thus a discussion point on this forum. Don't see how it's asinine to discuss it.

Why would'nt you pay your best skill player outside of Ryan what the market dictates??

Why is this such an issue when its clear we're in great cap shape.

teams go by the market that is set and the prodution the player has done and will do in the future.

Teams dnt just cluelessly pick a number they will pay a player and ignore the perres around him.

Thats exactcly why dallas,cincy and us are trying to see where all there #1 WRs should get paid. as soon as one of them signs the others will too.

Because the market would have been set, and teams now know where to start negotiations

Yes teams use the market to start negotiations but like I said, sometimes market value and team value aren't in line. Suh got market value but it wasn't in line with the Lions opinion on his value to the team. Other receivers have gotten market value outside of their originating team because said team didn't value them at that price.

Why would'nt you pay your best skill player outside of Ryan what the market dictates??

Why is this such an issue when its clear we're in great cap shape.

If that's the case why don't we get in a bidding war for every top free agent that fits our needs? Some positions depending on teams can seem dispensable. We had people on this board that didn't think we needed to spend a high draft pick on a running back because the ZBS made 5th rounders and down all stars.

And btw, I'm not admonishing paying Julio. If we think he's worth it, then pay the man. But the thought behind not paying him is valid imo. Ryan and the Falcons were winning games without a Julio level talent before and you have to wonder how much of his accomplishments correlates to how good of a QB he has throwing him the ball, and vice versa. Will Ryan and the Falcon offense really be destroyed if we weren't built around him or could we pay 2 good guys the same as him and be as good or better? That's for the FO to the decide and it's a valid discussion on a Falcon forum.

More than one way to skin a chicken, we're looking for the most efficient way that ends in a superbowl.

If that's the case why don't we get in a bidding war for every top free agent that fits our needs? Some positions depending on teams can seem dispensable. We had people on this board that didn't think we needed to spend a high draft pick on a running back because the ZBS made 5th rounders and down all stars.

And btw, I'm not admonishing paying Julio. If we think he's worth it, then pay the man. But the thought behind not paying him is valid imo. Ryan and the Falcons were winning games without a Julio level talent before and you have to wonder how much of his accomplishments correlates to how good of a QB he has throwing him the ball, and vice versa. Will Ryan and the Falcon offense really be destroyed if we weren't built around him or could we pay 2 good guys the same as him and be as good or better? That's for the FO to the decide and it's a valid discussion on a Falcon forum.

More than one way to skin a chicken, we're looking for the most efficient way that ends in a superbowl.

Why don't we thats easy because the FO coaches that they don't deem it neded to go after every position of need with big $$$ FA its a proven way to fail.

If we didn't think #11 was worth it long term he'd be gone.For me to put the resources in to get him and to see his obvious value on the field for me its a GIVEN this guy is a Falcon for a good part if not his whole career to me.

As for not winning the last 2 years well there are many factors with injuries being at the top of the list.

As for winning before #11 got here yes we did but I think we got as far as we could with that mindset and talent.

End of the day talent is talent and elite talent is what #11 is in my eyes you just pay him regardless and never do you let the above get anywhere near leaving.

Why don't we thats easy because the FO coaches that they don't deem it neded to go after every position of need with big $$$ FA its a proven way to fail.

Trying to think of the receiver that got record breaking dollars and that team subsequently was successful. Trends are nothing but if you bring up one you should address both sides of the coin.

If we didn't think #11 was worth it long term he'd be gone.For me to put the resources in to get him and to see his obvious value on the field for me its a GIVEN this guy is a Falcon for a good part if not his whole career to me.

We wouldn't cut him so I'm not seeing what you mean by he'd be gone. But yea, most likely he'll be here for a long time barring some freak incident this year.

As for not winning the last 2 years well there are many factors with injuries being at the top of the list.

As for winning before #11 got here yes we did but I think we got as far as we could with that mindset and talent.

What mindset?

End of the day talent is talent and elite talent is what #11 is in my eyes you just pay him regardless and never do you let the above get anywhere near leaving.

How about we look at it like this. What impact would starting Yates at QB have over starting White and Hankerson/Hardy at WR?

If the drop off in success is within 20%(roughly a 3 game difference) then Julio has megatron value on this team because Megatron's contract average is 80% of Ryan's.(and this is me assuming you think the team would do worse by losing Ryan than losing Julio) If the drop off is greater, then his value isn't in that range. Not completely scientific because you'd have to consider whether Hankerson/Hardy are within league average for a back up receiver as well as Yates for a back up QB, but a decent talking point imo, that could help get a rough ballpark value.