Holmes, Hageman, Worrilow

Falcons RT Lamar Holmes dropped 20 pounds over the offseason.

With new OC Kyle Shanahan's zone-blocking scheme, Holmes had to lose the weight if he wants to fit. Linemen need to be able to get upfield and move in the new system, and Holmes didn't have much of a chance at playing at his previous weight of 333. Still, Holmes has been an extreme weak spot on Atlanta's line the past couple seasons when he's played. He's competing for a roster spot.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution May 13 - 9:40 AM

Falcons second-year DT Ra'Shede Hageman dropped 15 pounds over the offseason.

Hageman was listed at 318 as a rookie after checking in at the Combine at 310. He's closer to 300 now as he looks for a fresh start in new coach Dan Quinn's aggressive defense. Hageman played 224 snaps in year one and received below-average marks across the board from Pro Football Focus. It's unclear where he'll line up, but he could play the "big" end spot or three-technique.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution May 12 - 10:52 PM

Coach Dan Quinn praised MLB Paul Worrilow, saying he's having a "terrific offseason."

"I challenged the guys to have the best offseason theyve ever had," Quinn said. "He is literally having that." Worrilow has started 28 games since entering the league as a 2013 UDFA out of Delaware. But he was PFF's No. 59 inside 'backer out of 60 qualifiers last season. With the additions of Brooks Reed, Justin Durant, and O'Brien Schofield, Worrilow will have to compete for a spot on the field.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution May 13 - 8:38 AM

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering why nobody had posted these. I saw them on roto. Im always afraid to duplicate news so I never try.

Anyway, I love how the "best off season ever" shtick is going so far. Quinn from square one has been motivating these guys. I always thought of Smitty as a great organizer, maybe a great task master, but never viewed him as a motivator of men.

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

Hags losing 15 lbs tells me the man is ready to compete! I want to see what Worrilow has to offer in Quinn's scheme. The guy has excellent run to the ball skills and fast wheels. I think he can be greatly improved with this attack philosophy. He'll have a chance to shine the way he did at Deleware. His measurables are still quite impressive. I truly believe Nolan's complex, too much thinking D, forced players to do things they weren't natural fits at doing. I'm so glad he's gone. Worrilow just might freak some of y'all out this year.

I was wondering why nobody had posted these. I saw them on roto. Im always afraid to duplicate news so I never try.

Anyway, I love how the "best off season ever" shtick is going so far. Quinn from square one has been motivating these guys. I always thought of Smitty as a great organizer, maybe a great task master, bit never viewed him as a motivator of men.

Why?!?! Ok maybe you weren't taking a jab at smitty and just drinking more koolaid of the new coaching staff but how does Quinn know 55 is having his best offseason. 55 has gotten better every offseason and that includes when Smitty was here. Smitty gave us some of the best years this franchise has ever seen Period! I'm not saying Quinn will crash and burn. I'm just saying- you guys are crowning him before he has coached a single game. When Smitty was hired everyone thought he was going to be horrible and he wasn't. Sure the past two seasons were a slow and painful death to his coaching tenure here but don't sit there and act like he didn't motivate "men" haha because his record in the first three season says otherwise. Be excited but don't get drunk off the koolaid man.

Hags losing 15 lbs tells me the man is ready to compete! I want to see what Worrilow has to offer in Quinn's scheme. The guy has excellent run to the ball skills and fast wheels. I think he can be greatly improved with this attack philosophy. He'll have a chance to shine the way he did at Deleware. His measurables are still quite impressive. I truly believe Nolan's complex, too much thinking D, forced players to do things they weren't natural fits at doing. I'm so glad he's gone. Worrilow just might freak some of y'all out this year.

Worrilow has fast wheels?!? Bahaha. He has a good first step. I'll give you quick but def not fast. We have better options at coverage now. As a thumper in the trenches is where I want to see Worrilow. Just let him go and get in the back field- that he can do.

Worr's not exactly competing with Schofield for MLB. I'd argue he's not competing with Durant very much either.

Holmes was arguably a strong point on our line last year before injury.

Glad to hear they're working hard though. Love to hear Quinn talk up Worr, he's going to be fun to watch this year.

Coach Dan Quinn praised MLB Paul Worrilow, saying he's having a "terrific offseason."

"I challenged the guys to have the best offseason theyve ever had," Quinn said. "He is literally having that." Worrilow has started 28 games since entering the league as a 2013 UDFA out of Delaware. But he was PFF's No. 59 inside 'backer out of 60 qualifiers last season. With the additions of Brooks Reed, Justin Durant, and O'Brien Schofield, Worrilow will have to compete for a spot on the field.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution May 13 - 8:38 AM

I like this part. ALOT.

LOL@the idea that a lot of posters around here thought that Worrilow was a sure lock in the MLB position.

Why?!?! Ok maybe you weren't taking a jab at smitty and just drinking more koolaid of the new coaching staff but how does Quinn know 55 is having his best offseason. 55 has gotten better every offseason and that includes when Smitty was here. Smitty gave us some of the best years this franchise has ever seen Period! I'm not saying Quinn will crash and burn. I'm just saying- you guys are crowning him before he has coached a single game. When Smitty was hired everyone thought he was going to be horrible and he wasn't. Sure the past two seasons were a slow and painful death to his coaching tenure here but don't sit there and act like he didn't motivate "men" haha because his record in the first three season says otherwise. Be excited but don't get drunk off the koolaid man.

Honestly? I 100% agree with you. I've been thinking this for a while too....basically since Quinn has arrived, he has been lauded as the magic fairy dust that can simply be sprinkled on these players and blamo! We have development. I do not subscribe to this theory. I think Quinn has a long way to go before being considered even close to Smitty in the pantheon of great Falcons coaches. This spreading sentiment is easily explained as the "honey moon phase." That said I still stand by what I said. I don't think our opinions are mutually exclusive though either. After Smitty's third season I started to see the chinks in the armor. Smitty wasn't even a very articulate man. I think it became hard for the players and fans alike to take him all that seriously. I still remember hearing about how much the team supported him after that complete and utter failure of a football game against Carolina to end the season. I was there. Those players could claim they supported him all they wanted, but it didn't show on the field. Much like you are saying In your post. Talk is cheap. Smitty was and perhaps always will be considered one of the Falcon greats. That doesn't mean he didn't have flaws. People keep bringing up his record during his first four years. Well the record for the last two speak for themselves as well. Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

Honestly? I 100% agree with you. I've been thinking this for a while too....basically since Quinn has arrived, he has been lauded as the magic fairy dust that can simply be sprinkled on these players and blamo! We have development. I do not subscribe to this theory. I think Quinn has a long way to go before being considered even close to Smitty in the pantheon of great Falcons coaches. This spreading sentiment is easily explained as the "honey moon phase." That said I still stand by what I said. I don't think our opinions are mutually exclusive though either. After Smitty's third season I started to see the chinks in the armor. Smitty wasn't even a very articulate man. I think it became hard for the players and fans alike to take him all that seriously. I still remember hearing about how much the team supported him after that complete and utter failure of a football game against Carolina to end the season. I was there. Those players could claim they supported him all they wanted, but it didn't show on the field. Much like you are saying In your post. Talk is cheap. Smitty was and perhaps always will be considered one of the Falcon greats. That doesn't mean he didn't have flaws. People keep bringing up his record during his first four years. Well the record for the last two speak for themselves as well.

giphy.gif

Honestly? I 100% agree with you. I've been thinking this for a while too....basically since Quinn has arrived, he has been lauded as the magic fairy dust that can simply be sprinkled on these players and blamo! We have development. I do not subscribe to this theory. I think Quinn has a long way to go before being considered even close to Smitty in the pantheon of great Falcons coaches. This spreading sentiment is easily explained as the "honey moon phase." That said I still stand by what I said. I don't think our opinions are mutually exclusive though either. After Smitty's third season I started to see the chinks in the armor. Smitty wasn't even a very articulate man. I think it became hard for the players and fans alike to take him all that seriously. I still remember hearing about how much the team supported him after that complete and utter failure of a football game against Carolina to end the season. I was there. Those players could claim they supported him all they wanted, but it didn't show on the field. Much like you are saying In your post. Talk is cheap. Smitty was and perhaps always will be considered one of the Falcon greats. That doesn't mean he didn't have flaws. People keep bringing up his record during his first four years. Well the record for the last two speak for themselves as well.

Gotta Agree 100%. There is no knight in Shining, Mr. Perfect each coach and organization has strengths, weaknesses and a window of opportunity. Smith TD and the entire team did some great things between 2008-2012 but everything has an expiration date.

The last two seasons just highlighted weakness that probably always existed but were overlooked because the teams success.

I hope Quinn gets off to a great start because expectations are off the chart.

People are expecting a miraculous turn around in all facets of the game and it may take a couple of seasons based on the cards he was dealt.

Edited by insight

Not sure I agree that Holmes has always been "an extreme weak spot". He was poor and out of shape his first year, but was improving significantly in his second before he got hurt. He could end up challenging for the spot. Not expecting All Pro, but he could content and be serviceable.

Oh well. We'll see. Glad he's at least taking this as an opportunity to get better.

Not sure I agree that Holmes has always been "an extreme weak spot". He was poor and out of shape his first year, but was improving significantly in his second before he got hurt. He could end up challenging for the spot. Not expecting All Pro, but he could content and be serviceable.

Oh well. We'll see. Glad he's at least taking this as an opportunity to get better.

Didn't he get hurt just a couple games into season?

he's pretty bad and IMO, i doubt Holmes makes the team.

Quinn has done more encouraging of players since he has been here than any Coach

I can think of. It just isn't done much. The old schoolers just kind of nod when you ask

them about a player. They may say "we think he has a chance to be good".

Quinn says about Hardy "wait until you see him block and go after the ball!!!"

He says of Worrilow's off season "not sure I could find someone going after it like him"

That may be a paraphrase of what he said but the point is he is passing out superlatives

right and left. I like it. I am from the old school era but I am not stuck there.