Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JerseyNo11

#1 Hawks Vs. #5 Wizards Game 5 (Series Tied 2-2)

733 posts in this topic

Paul Pierce can't keep on making 3's at this pace. He is too old... Bet the farm on it..

We see what you're doing...beat it with your jinx efforts.

Wizards-Hawks Preview

• STATS LLC

The Atlanta Hawks feel like they've regained some of their regular-season swagger, though the Washington Wizards could receive a significant boost if their star point guard makes a surprising return.

Despite an earlier report that he might be done, John Wall will likely be a game-time decision Wednesday night when the visiting Wizards try to take another step toward their first trip to the Eastern Conference finals in 36 years.

A report surfaced that Wall, who suffered five non-displaced fractures in his non-shooting hand in the series-opening win in Atlanta on May 3, was highly unlikely to return this postseason before Monday's 106-101 home loss that evened the series at 2-all. However, the swelling subsided Tuesday and on Wednesday morning Wall practiced his dribbling for the second straight day, but said he doesn't know if he'll play against the Hawks.

Wall plans to again test his wrist and hand and consult with team doctors before Wednesday night's game.

"See how I can make moves with the dribble," he said. "That's the key, being able to make moves that I feel comfortable with, that I'm used to making."

The Wizards are 5-0 with Wall during the playoffs and 1-2 without.

"It's a matter of do I feel confident," Wall said. "You can be comfortable no matter what, but if you're not confident in your ability to do what you want to do, there's no point in playing.

Atlanta's Jeff Teague, meanwhile, ended his shooting slump Monday by scoring a playoff-high 26 points and hitting a key 3-pointer with 1:12 remaining.

Teague went 9 of 20 from the field and 2 for 4 from 3-point range in Game 4 after he averaging 9.5 points and 26.1 percent shooting -- including 1 of 9 from beyond the arc -- in his previous four contests. Teague had 21 drives that led to 20 team points in Games 1 and 2, but his 32 drives have led to 38 team points in the last two.

"Their guards broke us down too much, and that's going to be an issue we're going to have to solve," Washington coach Randy Wittman said after Teague's backup Dennis Schroder added 14 points and eight assists.

Atlanta's Paul Millsap scored 19 points in his return to the lineup Monday after he was limited to eight off the bench in Game 3 due to a bout with the flu. Al Horford scored 12 in that contest before bouncing back with 18 points and 10 boards.

"We attack," Millsap told the team's official website after the Hawks recorded 30 assists on 41 field goals Monday. "We stay aggressive. We get to the basket. We kick it out and knock down 3-point shots. That's how we played (in Game 4)."

The top-seeded Hawks reduced this series to a best-of-three -- with two at Philips Arena -- by finishing with a series-high 47.1 field-goal percentage, shooting 9 of 19 from 3-point range and outscoring the Wizards 19-12 off turnovers.

Atlanta, seeking its first conference finals appearance, won 13 of 14 at home against Washington before losing Game 1.

"Now we got to go back home and take care of business," Teague said. "They beat us once on our home floor, so they're comfortable playing there, but we got to make it a hostile environment."

The Wizards, who haven't reached the East finals since losing in the NBA Finals in 1978-79, look to regroup after missing out on a chance to take a 3-1 series lead. After sinking the winner at the horn in Game 3, Paul Pierce (22 points) couldn't hit an open 3-pointer Monday that would have tied it with seven seconds left.

Washington also failed to take advantage of an outstanding performance fromBradley Beal, who scored a playoff career-high 34 points. He added seven assists, six rebounds and three steals while hitting four 3-pointers.

"We were still right there and we didn't even play great, so you can be frustrated with (losing) but at the same time it's 2-2," Beal said. "It's the first to get two wins now."

Report on NBA TV that Wall will play tonight.

Got to wonder how effective he will be going left. Got to try to force him their all night. He may play, may not, my go 40mins, may go 10. Regardless we need to take care of business

The logical side of me says he won't be very effective.

The abused Atlanta fan side of me says he goes on a tear and embarrasses us, showing us what it really means to be #TruetoAtlanta - a disappointment.

Well he'll pretty much be playing one handed but that said if we let a two handed Bynum score on us it's not really a stretch to think a one handed Wall could too. Hope we come to play tonight or "Wall's triumphant return" is going to make the Sportscenter rounds all night long.

Here we go Hawks knock em out these next 2 games and go into ECF on a high note.

Ready to see them be a ittle more pumped up, going to need the high energy Hawks for the Bulls or Cavs