Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GANDI

Kyle Shanahan's Impact On Matt Ryan

50 posts in this topic

I've been deployed for the past 6 months and have missed any discussions on what his offense demands of QB's. To the knowledgable members of the board can someone help me with what we can expect and how it differs from Dirk? Do you expect Matt to improve under Kyle ? Thanks in advance

Ive read we have several OL that have a history in the ZBS so that should help our RBs a lot. Plus if there is any hope for King Konz it's in this blocking scheme.

mtldirtybird likes this

I've been deployed for the past 6 months and have missed any discussions on what his offense demands of QB's. To the knowledgable members of the board can someone help me with what we can expect and how it differs from Dirk? Do you expect Matt to improve under Kyle ? Thanks in advance

If anything I think they will both feed off each other. Kyle has never had a QB as good as Ryan and Ryan has a offense that plays more to his strengths as a passer. As far as a difference in offensive philosophies,Shanahan's offense relies more on a zone blocking scheme with play action and rollouts being a integral part of the offense among other things. Under Koetter we were more of a pass first team who tried(and failed) to run the ball. Along with a emphasis on the screen game. I Don't feel like going more in depth,but somebody will..lol.

PrimitiveJN likes this

I'm Most definitely not one of the more knowledgeable members but I'll give it a shot.

I believe it will have a huge impact because we will rely on the running game a lot more which sets up the play action.Ryan made a living off of play action with Turner when he was a young QB.When you add in the fact that it is a west coast type offense focusing on the short to intermediate pass which is perfectly tailored to Ryan's strengths and what he ran in college......Dis gonna be good

mtldirtybird likes this

First of all, thank you for serving our country.

Shanny is a West Coast Offense guy. He is a disciple of Gary Kubiak, who was a disciple of Mike Shanahan.

Kyle Shanahan's offense will be more balanced than Koetter's. Play action passes will bring defenders closer to the LOS and that will open gaps in coverage. The new offense will rely more on quick decision making from our QB. Fortunately, this offense will probably accentuate Ryan's strengths.

The offense requires a strong running game, so we should all expect a learning curve. The Zone Blocking System takes time for the OL to gel, so we may not look good in the first half of the season. But, I truly believe that the offense fits Matt Ryan's talents. The arrow is pointing up.

Welcome home.

Shanahan runs a ZBS and likes to establish the run in order to set up the play action. Expect Ryan to move around a bit more due to play design, for Julio to get a good deal of deep targets, and for the TE or slot receiver to be the possession/move the chains target.

The last guy's resume:

During Koetter’s three seasons with Atlanta, the team cumulatively ranked second in the NFL in completion percentage (67.4), third in third-down conversion percentage (44.1), fourth in passing yards (277.2 per game), ninth in passing touchdowns (86), ninth in passer rating (93.9), 10th in points (24.0 per game) and 10th in total yardage (363.5 per game), while posting the second-fewest penalties (243) and penalty yards (2,043), seventh-fewest turnovers (69) and the ninth-lowest interception percentage (2.4) in the league.

Imagine if he'd had a defense that gave the ball back to him occasionally.

The last guy's resume:

During Koetters three seasons with Atlanta, the team cumulatively ranked second in the NFL in completion percentage (67.4), third in third-down conversion percentage (44.1), fourth in passing yards (277.2 per game), ninth in passing touchdowns (86), ninth in passer rating (93.9), 10th in points (24.0 per game) and 10th in total yardage (363.5 per game), while posting the second-fewest penalties (243) and penalty yards (2,043), seventh-fewest turnovers (69) and the ninth-lowest interception percentage (2.4) in the league.

or a commitment to run the ball. at all.

The last guy's resume:

During Koetter’s three seasons with Atlanta, the team cumulatively ranked second in the NFL in completion percentage (67.4), third in third-down conversion percentage (44.1), fourth in passing yards (277.2 per game), ninth in passing touchdowns (86), ninth in passer rating (93.9), 10th in points (24.0 per game) and 10th in total yardage (363.5 per game), while posting the second-fewest penalties (243) and penalty yards (2,043), seventh-fewest turnovers (69) and the ninth-lowest interception percentage (2.4) in the league.

I personally never considered Koetter the problem. We never had decent backs or O line
CrimsonFalcon and mtldirtybird like this

Thanks for the the info guys I really appreciate it. Hopefully this Oline can really step up, Ryan will be Ryan

For sure Matt is the best QB Kyle has ever had and will thrive in this O, a timing offense with vert elements is perfect for Ryan.

I agree...I'm not big into the hoopla of a coach taking a player to the next level that much(mainly bc these guys are all pros, and I never saw improvement with Vick through numerous coaches) BUT Shanahan is likely a superior coordinator and better QB instructor than anyone Ryan has had.

He made Brian effin Hoyer look decent....I mean cooome onnn.

The last guy's resume:

Top 10 offence around the board.... has been this way this Ryan has been here in Atlanta. Can see him breaking 5k this year with a decent run game from the 3 backs. The Defense was the only problem. Ryan had over a 60% completion under pressure and and almost a 70% when givin time. Not to worried about him producing. He will be the same Ryan and it will be the same Falcons Offence for the most part. The Defense is what I am watching. Really like the Defence this year. Osi is still on the Roster I think... Pair him up with Vic on Opposite sides.... might cause some problems for Olines

mtldirtybird likes this

Top 10 offence around the board.... has been this way this Ryan has been here in Atlanta. Can see him breaking 5k this year with a decent run game from the 3 backs. The Defense was the only problem. Ryan had over a 60% completion under pressure and and almost a 70% when givin time. Not to worried about him producing. He will be the same Ryan and it will be the same Falcons Offence for the most part. The Defense is what I am watching. Really like the Defence this year. Osi is still on the Roster I think... Pair him up with Vic on Opposite sides.... might cause some problems for Olines

Osi's a goner man...

Osi is gone

The last guy's resume:

Those numbers would be **** without Ryan, Roddy, and Jones. Be honest.

Fine. Take away the starting QB from any team, plus his top two receivers. Then make sure the OL sucks and there isn't a decent RB on the roster. And strip that other team's defense for good measure.

Tell me how they do.

Be honest.

rugger8 likes this

Never liked Koetter's offense. Against the better defenses in the league we hardly ever put up great numbers. The numbers are a bit misleading seeing as how we pretty much never ran the ball and were almost always playing from behind. Those of us that watched the games witnessed a terrible offensive game plan made serviceable due in large part of Ryan and a core of good receivers.

rugger8 likes this