Who Will Be The Best Defensive Backfield In The Nfcs This Season?

Bigtime A

Just looking at the defensive backfields on all the teams, I gotta give the edge to Saints. You got guys like Keenan Lewis, Jarius Byrd, and Rafael Bush. Then you got new guys like Browner, Breaux, and PJ along with guys that have potential like SJB, Vaccaro, and Sunseri. I think if we can generate some pressure from our line, this defense has the pieces in the other positions to be really good, and historically it's only take a good ,not great, defense for the team to succeed.

Panthers I think could be next in line, but there isn't at much talent and pressure from their front 7 seems to be critical, otherwise you have guys that can't cover for too long,

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Saints probably have the best starting corners in the division. I think the Falcons probably have the most potential at the position, including probably the best corner in the South in Trufant. Panthers have a solid group. I hate to give Norman too muh credit for a 7-8 game streak preceded by a couple years of sucking. Bene was a rookie who struggled at times. Who's 3? Tillman? The Bucs probably have the least potential in the group.

Not really seeing the upside on Falcons DBs outside of Trufant. I liked Collins when he was at LSU, but not completely sold on him as a day 1 starter. Willy Mo is a hard hitter and solid player but not of the potential of a Bush or Byrd. Outside that they have a bunch of inconsistent young guys at safety and CB like Southward.

Not really seeing the upside on Falcons DBs outside of Trufant. I liked Collins when he was at LSU, but not completely sold on him as a day 1 starter. Willy Mo is a hard hitter and solid player but not of the potential of a Bush or Byrd. Outside that they have a bunch of inconsistent young guys at safety and CB like Southward.

Collins needs a lot of coaching on his technique. He doesn't have really natural movement in his feet. It's one of the biggest reasons he'd get beat at LSU, he would often make up for it with his athleticsm though. Depending on how much coaching he responds to in camp, I can definitely see him starting. Alford at nickel and McClain in dime. The safties are a bit of a weak spot, with Willy Mo seemingly always injured. Lowery played pretty well last year.

Maybe the Saints have the most potential. With Lewis and Browner, you know what you have. One of the top corner duos in football. After that, it's a bunch of guys who haven't played in the NFL. Breaux looks the part, but who knows how the transition will go? I like Williams, especially as a press corner, but don't know how he'd transition to the slot. SJB doesn't get mentioned until he can prove he can play football for us. Byrd is an all pro, but really struggled the 4 games he played last year. Hopefully a year of learning the defense and getting healthy helps. I Have no idea what to expect from Vacarro. It's either feast or famine. I like our secondary group a lot, but I liked the potential last year. Not getting sucked into the hype this year.

Sorry to break any hearts here, but the Bucs are in year two of their conversion back to the Tampa 2, and as long as they get any pass rush at all it's gonna open up the secondary to have a field day. Even Verner has admitted he didn't really get it until the last few games of the season.

I rank the NFCS secondaries as follows:

1. Saints

2. Bucs

3. Panthers

4. Falcons

Who knows? A lot of people thought the Saints would have the best secondary in the NFL last season.. that belief quickly came undone.

At the moment, I'd say between Saints and Panthers. Both have potential. With the Saints, it would mean Byrd comes back strong and the Saints secondary plays in sync.

With the Panthers, it means they continue with how they ended last season. Will they? Idk. The fact that they had a few games where they smothered WRs.....gives me hope.

Sorry to break any hearts here, but the Bucs are in year two of 6their conversion back to the Tampa 2, and as long as they get any pass rush at all it's gonna open up the secondary to have a field day. Even Verner has admitted he didn't really get it until the last few games of the season.

1. Saints

2. Bucs

3. Panthers

4. Falcons

They have no pass rush. Homer...

They have no pass rush. Homer...

More than the Falcons.... I'll admit, that's not much, but if they get it going a bit better than last season, and the backers & secondary know what they're doing, the defense as a whole should be much better, especially the secondary.

More than the Falcons.... I'll admit, that's not much, but if they get it going a bit better than last season, and the backers & secondary know what they're doing, the defense as a whole should be much better, especially the secondary.

More? I doubt it...

Not to mention our secondary is already better...

You don't have a player on your line even close to McCoy, but you keep thinking how much better the Falcons pass rush is.wink.png

5 sacks a season average? Career high is 9.5 sacks.

That's your ONLY pass rush...

You getting jealous of rave out homering you or something?

Sorry to break any hearts here, but the Bucs are in year two of 6their conversion back to the Tampa 2, and as long as they get any pass rush at all it's gonna open up the secondary to have a field day. Even Verner has admitted he didn't really get it until the last few games of the season.

1. Saints

2. Bucs

3. Panthers

4. Falcons

jb is high once again....

After a while people will learn that if you asked a clown fan a question.. You're not going to get a realistic answer..

Of course Trufant is going to cover everybody, Moore is going to become Earl Thomas and Quinn is going to have a spiritual ritual and take all the skills of Bennett, and Seattle's Dline and put them in a Falcon uniform.. 😁

q

Moron.