Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No.11

#1 Hawks Vs #5 Wizards Game 4

415 posts in this topic

Ok Mr. Objective. Tell me, if you're running at full sprint and then trying to stop on a slippery surface, how are you going to stop yourself from sliding? For that matter, what are you going to do instinctively to keep yourself from falling backwards? Basic physics should tell you that is virtually impossible, unless you're trying to argue that point.

That shouldn't be called a travel, I don't care what team you're on.

Just because it is inevitable doesn't mean it isn't travelling. If someone is running and can't stop his momentum and runs into an opponent, that's a foul regardless of physics.

Just because it is inevitable doesn't mean it isn't travelling. If someone is running and can't stop his momentum and runs into an opponent, that's a foul regardless of physics.

An opponent intentionally cutting off a player in a certain direction is a different situation from a player who can't stop or change direction because his feet are literally being swept from right under him.

An opponent intentionally cutting off a player in a certain direction is a different situation from a player who can't stop or change direction because his feet are literally being swept from right under him.

But my example wasn't intentional. He simply was unable to avoid the contact due to momentum. Even in the NFL, there is the turf monster scenario. It's not as if the refs will allow him to get up and run when he's touched on the basis of the conditions caused it.

But my example wasn't intentional. He simply was unable to avoid the contact due to momentum. Even in the NFL, there is the turf monster scenario. It's not as if the refs will allow him to get up and run when he's touched on the basis of the conditions caused it.

I understand that. However, slipping on a surface is much like an opposing player initiating contact that ends up knocking a player off balance causing him to move his pivot foot. In that situation, the refs always call a foul on the opposing player. How many times have we seen a player slip on the court (in which case he's still moving forward with the ball), and the refs did not call a travel? Once Korver regained his balance, he didn't move his feet. So why should a travel be called?

If your losing control you have to either get rid of the ball (Like Schroder did when he slipped in game 3 on the pass to Moose) or let it go while you regain your feet. If you try to hold onto it they're supposed to call a travel. I see the argument why that might not be fair but that is the call.

If your losing control you have to either get rid of the ball (Like Schroder did when he slipped in game 3 on the pass to Moose) or let it go while you regain your feet. If you try to hold onto it they're supposed to call a travel. I see the argument why that might not be fair but that is the call.

I understand the reasoning, I just don't agree with it. One last thing though, Shroder passed the ball after he fell, although he didn't get up until after he made the pass.

I understand the reasoning, I just don't agree with it. One last thing though, Shroder passed the ball after he fell, although he didn't get up until after he made the pass.

Yeah but it's the NBA where the rulebook is just a suggestion. We already know they dont count the steps on travels unless thier blantent. Dennis got rid of it quickly so it was good enough. Korver did it less quickly but I guess that was enough to satisfy the refs.

No.11 likes this

I understand that. However, slipping on a surface is much like an opposing player initiating contact that ends up knocking a player off balance causing him to move his pivot foot. In that situation, the refs always call a foul on the opposing player. How many times have we seen a player slip on the court (in which case he's still moving forward with the ball), and the refs did not call a travel? Once Korver regained his balance, he didn't move his feet. So why should a travel be called?

If you read the nba officiating report, it explains why Kyle wasn't called for travelling. It wasn't because of his falling down, it was what happened after.

The most blatant non call was the clear foul on Pierce. We should have gotten the ball AND 2 free throws. The refs should've at least reviewed the play.

Those are the calls that irritate me.

If you read the nba officiating report, it explains why Kyle wasn't called for travelling. It wasn't because of his falling down, it was what happened after.

"Korver (ATL) slides when receiving the inbound pass. Players that fall to the floor while holding the ball (or stopping) may not gain an advantage by sliding. No call is made as no advantage is gained."

http://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/05/L2M-ATL-WAS-5-11-15-GAME-4.pdf

Ok Mr. Objective. Tell me, if you're running at full sprint and then trying to stop on a slippery surface, how are you going to stop yourself from sliding? For that matter, what are you going to do instinctively to keep yourself from falling backwards? Basic physics should tell you that is virtually impossible, unless you're trying to argue that point.

That shouldn't be called a travel, I don't care what team you're on.

rule is a rule. That's why you are taught when you fall to keep dribbling.

exactly. He is arguing against something that everyone that has played organized basketball knows. If you slide and don't dribble it's a walk. Simple as that

The most blatant non call was the clear foul on Pierce. We should have gotten the ball AND 2 free throws. The refs should've at least reviewed the play.

Those are the calls that irritate me.

Which one do you mean?

I personally thought they did a lot of pushing and shoving under the baskets that wasn't called and Nene threw DeMarre the people's elbow to get Pierce that open on the screen. Amazingly enough the broadcasters made no mention of that in their eagerness to claim Pierce should have been at the line.

This may be the very most chittiest thread in the entire history of these forums, bar none.............that is saying a lot IMHO .............wow, the dreary turds up in here ......sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

This may be the very most chittiest thread in the entire history of these forums, bar none.............that is saying a lot IMHO .............wow, the dreary turds up in here ......sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

There are some threads in ABF that make me question humanity

freebird310 likes this

I'm trying to figure out what was so bad about this particular thread. I mean yeah we were whiny but scrolling through this is pretty par for the course. It's got nothing on Nets game 4 (which was hidden in a general playoff thread) or Wizards game 3 threads.

I think you were just frustrated you couldn't respond to the bullchit

slamee101 and freebird310 like this

I'm trying to figure out what was so bad about this particular thread. I mean yeah we were whiny but scrolling through this is pretty par for the course. It's got nothing on Nets game 4 (which was hidden in a general playoff thread) or Wizards game 3 threads.

I think you were just frustrated you couldn't respond to the bullchit

yep, yep, may have been the game 3 thread...........sad.png

oh-yeah-o.gif

AF89 likes this