I Wonder What Smitty Is Doing Now ?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure was. I liked Smittyball. To me Smittyball was ground and pound while playing tough defense. Smitty should have stayed true to his style of football.

Makes you wonder........maybe the beginning of the end for Smitty was when TD gave up the Ranch drafting Julio which in turn might have included orders to Smitty for an emphasis change to OFFENSE , instead of DEFENSE.

Makes you wonder........maybe the beginning of the end for Smitty was when TD gave up the Ranch drafting Julio which in turn might have included orders to Smitty for an emphasis change to OFFENSE , instead of DEFENSE.

Michael Turner losing his legs and making it tougher to eat up time of possession certainly didn't help. The defense needs breaks.

It's because Michael Turner declined and showed Smith wasn't a good coach, just carried by Ryan and Turner.

Name one time Smith made you say "that was good coaching"

It's because Michael Turner declined and showed Smith wasn't a good coach, just carried by Ryan and Turner.

Name one time Smith made you say "that was good coaching"

yeah because bad coaches with talent always have winning records in the nfl.

I like Smith and I truly appreciate what he did during his tenure here as the HC....He would absolutely be the most boring analyst of all time though but you're right though it would be thoroughly entertaining just for s**** and giggles.

The cap tipping on a weekly basis would be hilarious. On a serious note , Smith >>> Tomlinson. Lol

I saw Smitty and Dan Quinn together a few weeks ago. The Falcons Family lost a big hearted part owner and fan named John Imlay. At his memorial service there were 9 rows up front reserved for the Falcons. Here's who was there - Matt Ryan, Steve Bartkowski, King Arthur, Dimitroff, Rich M, Scott Peroli, Dan Quinn, and yes - Mike Smith. What a class act. He was fired and was there with his replacement. Enough said, dropping the mic....

I saw Smitty and Dan Quinn together a few weeks ago. The Falcons Family lost a big hearted part owner and fan named John Imlay. At his memorial service there were 9 rows up front reserved for the Falcons. Here's who was there - Matt Ryan, Steve Bartkowski, King Arthur, Dimitroff, Rich M, Scott Peroli, Dan Quinn, and yes - Mike Smith. What a class act. He was fired and was there with his replacement. Enough said, dropping the mic....

drop-mic-o.gif

I think the beginning of the end for Smitty was in 2012 when Turner was obviously losing a step

He's taking notes. Wasn't there a bunch a people saying he would land a coaching job with no problem?

Now those same people say "You don't know what opportunities he's been offered and turned down". Even though you will have 10 insiders tell you anytime a team thinks about talking to a coach at all and none mentioned him once

He'll get opportunities. Pete Carroll didn't look so hot either after NE and NYJ stints. Even Mike Mularkey got two head coaching gigs. He'll take some time off, but he will coach again eventually. He may have to take a coordinator or other coaching job first, but his name will come up again.

When teams are interested in someone it will come out in the media. Cowher and Gruden say they aren't interested in coaching yet you hear about the teams that inquire

Teams watched Hard Knocks last year and wondered how this uber boring coach ever had a winning season. Then they saw the team not even try to play for his job in week 17

So you are one of those who thinks ESPN has a the inside pipeline into everything relevant in sports? or that DLed is in the know about all falcon comings and goings? Or that 'Hard Knocks' is factual journalism, rather than a staged show?

Use some common sense, the media is just speculation

Smith has said he's taking a year off...with pay. He will get a job in NFL within 24 hours when he says he's ready to get back into it.

So you are one of those who thinks ESPN has a the inside pipeline into everything relevant in sports? or that DLed is in the know about all falcon comings and goings? Or that 'Hard Knocks' is factual journalism, rather than a staged show?

Use some common sense, the media is just speculation

Smith has said he's taking a year off...with pay. He will get a job in NFL within 24 hours when he says he's ready to get back into it.

Do you have a link to a quote of him saying he's taking a year off? He might get a job but he's gonna be like Mike Tice and be a position coach the rest of his career

Now those same people say "You don't know what opportunities he's been offered and turned down". Even though you will have 10 insiders tell you anytime a team thinks about talking to a coach at all and none mentioned him once

To you and all the similarly clueless jagoffs in this thread, Smitty turned down two DC offers, then made it quietly clear to the rest of the league that he'd be sitting out a year. Smitty is a very modest guy who doesn't blow his own horn. And he has never had an agent, which is why there's no one out there blowing it for him.

Do you have a link to a quote of him saying he's taking a year off? He might get a job but he's gonna be like Mike Tice and be a position coach the rest of his career

Don't need a quote, media speculation is 99% BS anyway, which is where most here get their viewpoints from, including apparently you

Just use your brain and Infer a little common sense, for gosh sakes....7 years as HC working ungodly hours, getting paid to sit and get healthy, be with family .

Smith career coaching record 66-46.

Tice career coaching record 32-33

Edited by Vandy

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. I wish Smitty the best, favorite coach the Falcons have had. Hope Quinn will be one day.