Tevin Coleman Projected To Break Out In 2015 (Rookie Of The Year)

The most likely running back prospect from the 2015 NFL draft to produce at a high level early in his career isn't the St. Louis Rams' Todd Gurley or the San Diego Chargers' Melvin Gordon.

After breaking the recent bias against first-round running backs, those early entrants to this year's draft are natural selections and maybe even favorites to win the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year after the upcoming season.

Yet, it's a recent third-round pick who owns the highest ceiling after landing in the perfect situation.

The Atlanta Falcons' Tevin Coleman couldn't have asked to be placed in a better environment or scheme to start his career.

"I'm going to be the best rookie running back (from this class)," Coleman said in an interview with D.J. Shockley of AtlantaFalcons.com. "I'm coming out to be the starter, and I'm going to work like the starter."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2454348-why-tevin-coleman-projects-as-nfls-top-rookie-rb-rookie-of-the-year-candidate

Thoughts?

Personally, I consider myself a RB guru (favorite position) and this guy has it all. His YAC and breakaway speed is insane. He is a thumper version of Antone Smith, which is mind boggling.

If this guy puts it together in the NFL it will be a helluva show on turf for years to come.

____

*meant to put BR in tags but it came out as nfl.com for some reason

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very possible.The Rams really bolstered their OL, and the Chargers almost have a potent offense. It will be tough, but he's talented enough.

To me it depends on how quickly Gurley recovers. If it takes him a few games to get back to 100%, Coleman will certainly have an advantage. Playing in a ZBS could probably tack on a few more hundred yards for a back like Coleman.

I think he has a lot of potential, I just don't think he's polished enough to be our day one starter. 57% of his yards last year came on 15+ yard runs, I just can't see him pounding the rock with a large number of carries out of the gate.

To me its the only position on offense worth discussing. I'm only okay at RB's though. I love Tevin Coleman.

I grew up an SEC/UGA boy and for a while all we had was a decent run game (not much has changed honestly......... thanks Richt) - it's just so great to see electrifying runners light up defenses and take it to the house or thumpers crush LBs for a few more yards.

By all means I should be on the Gurley train, but IMO while a gamebreaker, I don't see his body holding up in the NFL. He was injured every season, and the hits are only gonna get worse in the NFL.

Gordon had the blessing of an always great Wisconsin OL to run behind and an easier schedule against run defenses than Coleman.

Coleman ran behind a god-awful OL and played some NASTY run defenses in 2014 (Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Mizzou).

Its shaping up to be a great time for the Falcons running game with a one-two punch of Coleman and Freeman, with a bit of Antone thrown in to punch in a TD on worn out defenses in the 2nd half.

I grew up an SEC/UGA boy and for a while all we had was a decent run game (not much has changed honestly......... thanks Richt) - it's just so great to see electrifying runners light up defenses and take it to the house or thumpers crush LBs for a few more yards.

By all means I should be on the Gurley train, but IMO while a gamebreaker, I don't see his body holding up in the NFL. He was injured every season, and the hits are only gonna get worse in the NFL.

Gordon had the blessing of an always great Wisconsin OL to run behind and an easier schedule against run defenses than Coleman.

Coleman ran behind a god-awful OL and played some NASTY run defenses in 2014 (Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Mizzou).

Its shaping up to be a great time for the Falcons running game with a one-two punch of Coleman and Freeman, with a bit of Antone thrown in to punch in a TD on worn out defenses in the 2nd half.

Bama fan, so I know what you mean about the run. I hope Gurley has a great career, but I hope Coleman's is better. How do you think this line-up is going to work with Kyle as the OC? Do you think we will have the short game we need?

Bama fan, so I know what you mean about the run. I hope Gurley has a great career, but I hope Coleman's is better. How do you think this line-up is going to work with Kyle as the OC? Do you think we will have the short game we need?

TBH the 3rd and 1 situation is the most cloudy. Buuuut we just signed a monster FB (hopefully he's still got it) and that is key to this system. If our OL adjusts to the ZBS (I personally think this year will be a hybrid power/ZBS while our line adjusts to the concepts) quickly then with Mooney blocking for him, Coleman will be able to do some damage even in short yardage situations.

If they can coach his pad level/tackle breaks and fix his left arm carry (he never switches his carry arm and it prevents stiff arms when tackled from his left side) then we are going to be smiling on 3rd and 1 or goal line situations, not crying.

Coleman has to adjust a few things like carrying the ball in his right hand and running with lower pads. But if he can do that and someone can step up to handle the LG spot, Coleman will have a crazy rookie season

I keep hearing this about him carrying the ball without switching arms. Is this a bigger deal than it's made out to be?

I keep hearing this about him carrying the ball without switching arms. Is this a bigger deal than it's made out to be?

Its very easily coached up - but it is a big deal. It literally prevents him from stiff arming people attacking his left side (think of how beastly Marshawn's stiff arms are) - again - easily fixed though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2454348-why-tevin-coleman-projects-as-nfls-top-rookie-rb-rookie-of-the-year-candidate

Thoughts?

Personally, I consider myself a RB guru (favorite position) and this guy has it all. His YAC and breakaway speed is insane. He is a thumper version of Antone Smith, which is mind boggling.

If this guy puts it together in the NFL it will be a helluva show on turf for years to come.

____

*meant to put BR in tags but it came out as nfl.com for some reason

He prides himself on protecting the QB by way of blocking, almost to the point of bragging. I can't wait to see this rookie in action.

He prides himself on protecting the QB by way of blocking, almost to the point of bragging. I can't wait to see this rookie in action.

Yep and to me that shows selflessness. He knows his job isn't to just be on a highlight reel. You can't teach that kind of team mentality and pride in protecting the QB. I'm ecstatic about that alone.

You have to be able to carry the ball in either arm in the NFL, but like Zebra said it shouldn't take too long to coach the habit outta him

Its very easily coached up - but it is a big deal. It literally prevents him from stiff arming people attacking his left side (think of how beastly Marshawn's stiff arms are) - again - easily fixed though.

You gotta catch up to him first....LOL...he doesn't NEED a stiff arm...that's some Madden ish. We don't need to go tinkering with the way he carry the ball.

I hope Coleman just comes to the A with a humble and eager mindset. Willing to learn how to better his craft and apply it to our offense. His talent is unquestionable. Don't get too caught up in the expectations from the fans, media etc... I think he exudes confidence and hunger and I'll be pulling for him to be a real weapon for the Atlanta Falcons!!

Says who...? I really missed this one...LOL...

I can't think off the top of my head any NFL RBs who only carry with a certain arm... but I do know that a good stiff arm can change a play completely. Check Marshawn Lynch's runs... that dude's stiff arms are monstrous.. very underrated aspect of a good RB. I mean yea he has homerun speed, but in the NFL so do a lot of backs who will chase his *** down, and a stiff arm is gonna be a big deal and a difference between a TD or getting stopped short.

I really can't wait to see what he can do.

I will say with caution though he may start out a little slow as the line adjusts to zone blocking so hopefully the folks around here aren't too harsh on the kid if he isn't lighting it up by week 2

Yep and to me that shows selflessness. He knows his job isn't to just be on a highlight reel. You can't teach that kind of team mentality and pride in protecting the QB. I'm ecstatic about that alone.

You have to be able to carry the ball in either arm in the NFL, but like Zebra said it shouldn't take too long to coach the habit outta him

I realize the importance of switching arms, but some people act like he only has one arm.

Just wondering what changed your mind about him? I know you weren't that high on him before

Coleman? At the VERY beginning I wasn't a fan. Talking about January or February. Since then I started watching his technique and play. I had other guys in mind, but I have liked him for a while now.