Why Do The Rams Have Such A Strong Edge On The Saints

This isn't an attempt at smack talking the Saints, I am wanting to figure this out. It's interesting to see when a team/player seems to have an edge on another team/player, where they play them specifically well. Not even necessarily teams that are similar to them, but that team in particular.

The Rams edge on the Saints seems to be very strong, I think it has to do with Bree, since the trend seemingly started after he came to New Orleans.

In 2007, the 3-13 Rams won at the 7-9 Saints for their first win of the year, I believe they were once up 34-7.

In 2009, the 1-15 Rams only lost 28-23 to the 13-3 SB Champion Saints.

In 2010, the Saints soundly beat the Rams in NO, in the one year where the game seemed to play out how you'd expect based on the records of the teams.

In 2011, the 2-14 Rams soundly beat the 13-3 Saints, once being up 24-0. An offense that was imo arguably the best of all time was shut out for a lot of the game, by a defense that wasn't especially good.

In 2013, the Rams beat the Saints 27-16 once being up 27-3 in a year when the Saints had a top 5 offense and defense.

Essentially, you have repeated instances of the Rams playing the Saints way better that you'd expect based on their records. What is it that they do that seems to make them play the Saints so well?

What do you guys think?

The 3-4 defense has given Brees fits and the Rams had been running it. They generate pressure up the middle forcing Brees to make rushed throws. But every time I saw them on the schedule, I cringed.

That does make sense. Pressure up the middle does hurt a QB, though Brees is probably better under pressure than most.

The Niners run the 34 and seem to give Brees some trouble also, although the Saints put up 32 on the Niners in the playoffs for the 2011 season, that same year the Rams shut them out for a lot of the game.

The Rams seem to be especially good at defending Brees, even more than other 34 teams. Manning has struggled against the 34 also, but Crenell seemingly had his number especially. I remember when he was with the Browns, the Colts with Manning did go 2-0 vs CLE, but that was due to CLE not scoring very many points, their offense struggled big time.

They won 10-6 in 08, with the only TD I believe being a defensive TD....lol, I might cry if my team ever loses like that against a team with Peyton Manning.

Redskins seemingly were for awhile also. In 2006 they had a terrible defense, and the Saints had the number 1 offense, and the Skins held them to 10. In 2009, the Skins also did a pretty good job against the Saints. What do you think it was about the Skins?

I don't know if it's just payback from Hakim's gaffe lol, but some teams just match up well against certain teams. Like how Peyton suck so much playing against Brady.

I'm trying to figure out why that is though, it's hard to explain. It happens with players also, I've noticed Vonta Davis seems to be insanely good playing against Peyton Manning, something there could be him disrupting Manning's timing well, which Manning seems to rely a lot on.

As a player, one thing I can think of as to why it might be is some mental edge. There's an 'any given Sunday' factor in football where a player/team may strongly show up on a day, maybe they remember that success, a long with the strategy they used and it helps them play better. Another thing is familiarity, studying a player and maybe knowing things about them in particular that most others don't know.

The Rans have a stout front 7. When you can get to Brees without rushing more than 4, generally you're going to win. It's how it's always been. When teams get in trouble is when the front 4 and blitzes aren't getting there. That's when Brees picks you apart.

In 2011, they beat the Saints before they actually hit their stride. I believe we were 5-3 or 6-3 at one point. Finished the year on a 7 or 8 game winning streak. Should have won the Super Bowl that year. You live by the blitz, you die by the blitz.

This isn't an attempt at smack talking the Saints, I am wanting to figure this out. It's interesting to see when a team/player seems to have an edge on another team/player, where they play them specifically well. Not even necessarily teams that are similar to them, but that team in particular.

The Rams edge on the Saints seems to be very strong, I think it has to do with Bree, since the trend seemingly started after he came to New Orleans.

In 2007, the 3-13 Rams won at the 7-9 Saints for their first win of the year, I believe they were once up 34-7.

In 2009, the 1-15 Rams only lost 28-23 to the 13-3 SB Champion Saints.

In 2010, the Saints soundly beat the Rams in NO, in the one year where the game seemed to play out how you'd expect based on the records of the teams.

In 2011, the 2-14 Rams soundly beat the 13-3 Saints, once being up 24-0. An offense that was imo arguably the best of all time was shut out for a lot of the game, by a defense that wasn't especially good.

In 2013, the Rams beat the Saints 27-16 once being up 27-3 in a year when the Saints had a top 5 offense and defense.

Essentially, you have repeated instances of the Rams playing the Saints way better that you'd expect based on their records. What is it that they do that seems to make them play the Saints so well?

What do you guys think?

It's actually pretty simple. The Rams have one of the best defensive lines around. You get a good rush on Brees with your front 4 it completely disrupts his timing. The few games where the Bucs have played well against the Saints the last 10 seasons or so, has been when we got a fierce rush on Brees and put him on his *** and disrupted his timing.

talk about a strong edge, how about nyg > atl. i think the last time we beat them was the game in 2002 that doug johnson started.

Remember when Brooking tried to say Johnson was taking you all to the Super Bowl after Vick got knocked out for the season?wink.png

You are right though. A strong front four pass rush can make up for a lot!

talk about a strong edge, how about nyg > atl. i think the last time we beat them was the game in 2002 that doug johnson started.

2004, 14-10 win in NY for ATL

2012, 34-0 win in ATL for ATL

They do usually beat us, but when they do it seems more like it's just because they're a better team than we are, or because we play them in NY and don't travel well(2009 and 2014).

With the Rams(and Redskins)vs Saints though, you see instances of them beating them when the Saints are a much better team.

Lately? Yes

They do seem to, but I think a lot of it has to do with the last 3 games being in Seattle. In 2013, I think they were just better than the Saints for one, and considering how much better both teams were at home than on the road, HFA was likely huge in the match up. They beat you 34-7 in SEA, but had it been in NO I do believe you win that one.

In 2010, it just seemed like an 'Any Given Sunday' thing, kind of like how DEN beat PIT the next year. It actually seems like usually when there is a 4 seed with a much lesser record than a 5 seed, that 4 seed wins. Maybe they get pumped over still being alive and having the home game, and maybe is extra motivated to show they can beat a playoff team....where as the 5 seed maybe is discouraged for still having to go on the road, and also maybe overlooks the 4 seed.

It's actually pretty simple. The Rams have one of the best defensive lines around. You get a good rush on Brees with your front 4 it completely disrupts his timing. The few games where the Bucs have played well against the Saints the last 10 seasons or so, has been when we got a fierce rush on Brees and put him on his *** and disrupted his timing.

They do now, but I don't think they've been that way for the whole time since 2007. It is true though that front 4 pressure without a blitz would likely be the best way to defend Brees as was said by Saints4Life25, because with a blitz it seems as though he would kill you with short passes.