Back To Plan B

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 · 3h 3 hours ago

La'el Collins might be off the board but I think vet offensive tackle Joe Barksdale is still in play for the Falcons.

“We had offensive line on our mind through our draft preparation,” Dimitroff said. “The way that things landed for us, we decided that we were going with some of our other needs.”

The Falcons believe the offensive line will be much improved.

“We continue to believe that this offensive line has some really good football players and some upside that fit the scheme that we are going with,” Dimitroff said. “We are encouraged by that for sure. A lot of our guys are healing up very well and things are going to work out well that way.”

Line was seriously down the list of worries before the draft, except maybe LG. Our line is young and talented, and athletic as well. It might take a while for them to get used to all of the outside zone concepts and other ZBS stuff we'll run more often, but I have no worries about them as the seasons go on.

Aside from Matthews, who exactly do you consider "talented"?

First, lease provide your definition of "talented".

I would say that other than Matthews, all of our o-linemen vary from reasonably adequate at best (Hawley, Schraeder, Holmes) to hot garbage (Konz, Baker).

Guest Negatorris

LT - Matthews is good.

LG - Stone or Konz can play well if given the chance here. Leaning towards Stone.

C - Hawley will succeed.

RG - Asamoah is great.

RT - Shraeder can lock this up and play well.

Injuries will be the only thing to hurt the starting OL imo. It can be improved, but I doubt it'll be as big a problem as others might suggest.

To ease your mind the last time we implemented the ZBS in 2004 with Alex Gibb these were our starters:

QB - Michael Vick (181 for 321, 2,313 yards, 14 td, 12 int, & 120 rushes for 902 yards and 3 td)

RB - Warrick Dunn (265 rushes for 1,106 yards, 9 td, & 29 catches for 294 yards and 0 td)

FB - Justin Griffith (9 rushes for 39 yards, 0 td, & 22 catches for 220 yards and 1 td)

WR - Peerless Price (45 catches for 575 yards, 3 td, & 3 rushes for 34 yards and 0 td)

WR - Dez White (30 catches for 370 yards, 2 td, & 3 rushes for 14 yards and 0 td)

TE - Alge Crumpler (48 catches for 774 yards, 6 td)

LT - Kevin Shaffer (Atlanta Falcons / 7th / 244th pick / 2002)

LG - Roberto Garza (Atlanta Falcons / 4th / 99th pick / 2001)

C - Todd McClure (Atlanta Falcons / 7th / 237th pick / 1999)

RG - Keenan Forney (Atlanta Falcons / 7th / 219th pick / 2001)

RT - Todd Weiner (Seattle Seahawks / 2nd / 47th pick / 1998)

We were 11-5 and lost in the NFCCG with a scrub QB and scrub receivers.

Total offense = 5084 yards (2412 passing yards & 2672 rushing yards)

TD finally goes BPA instead of wasting picks on need, and people will still find a way to complain.

The way the draft shook out, you probably weren't going to get value at O-line, so I'm fine with just adding depth and competition now.

And we all know with a ZBS, it won't come down to individual talent as much as it will take a little time to gel. Just need guys to stay healthy and improve.

TD finally goes BPA instead of wasting picks on need, and people will still find a way to complain.

The way the draft shook out, you probably weren't going to get value at O-line, so I'm fine with just adding depth and competition now.

And we all know with a ZBS, it won't come down to individual talent as much as it will take a little time to gel. Just need guys to stay healthy and improve.

I was thinking the exact same thing. TD actually let the draft come to him, didnt reach for any players and took the BPA and folks still whine.

Aside from Matthews, who exactly do you consider "talented"?

First, lease provide your definition of "talented".

I would say that other than Matthews, all of our o-linemen vary from reasonably adequate at best (Hawley, Schraeder, Holmes) to hot garbage (Konz, Baker).

To me, "talented" is athletic and smart with flashes of greatness. NFL-standard (which to me is top 15 at the position, realized I needed to clarify).

Asamoah is a seriously talented guard, probably top 10 in the NFL. Schraeder is one of my favorites, partially because I wanted him before the draft as a sleeper, partially because he's a freak athlete that's mean as heck and is improving at a stupid rate. I don't trust PFF entirely but they grade him surprisingly well compared to the rest of our line, and he was great by the eye test last year too...just a couple bad games. He's the type where if he's on, he's terrific, but when he's off he's pretty awful. Hawley is great but the injury worries me. I know you dislike Hawley but the line calls with him out there are night and day to Stone or lolKonzlol. If Hawley comes back strong and stays healthy he's the least of our worries.

I think Konz and Baker are a dumpster fire as much as you, and even Holmes hasn't quite killed the memories of his awful years, but I dunno. Our healthy line is very talented and they're only getting better. OL often last till their 30s.

My only concern is LG.

LT - Matthews - He was pretty bad at times, but coupled with position change and injury, you can't have much of a negative outlook here.

LG - Massive, gaping hole.

C - Hawley - Pretty solid before injury

RG - Asomoah - Good all-around player

RT - Schraeder - Looked very good in the short time he played

To ease your mind the last time we implemented the ZBS in 2004 with Alex Gibb these were our starters:

QB - Michael Vick (181 for 321, 2,313 yards, 14 td, 12 int, & 120 rushes for 902 yards and 3 td)

RB - Warrick Dunn (265 rushes for 1,106 yards, 9 td, & 29 catches for 294 yards and 0 td)

FB - Justin Griffith (9 rushes for 39 yards, 0 td, & 22 catches for 220 yards and 1 td)

WR - Peerless Price (45 catches for 575 yards, 3 td, & 3 rushes for 34 yards and 0 td)

WR - Dez White (30 catches for 370 yards, 2 td, & 3 rushes for 14 yards and 0 td)

Excellent data. I think Vick was better than a "scrub QB" but your point is still valid - that OL was not more talented than the 2015 version.

Excellent data. I think Vick was better than a "scrub QB" but your point is still valid - that OL was not more talented than the 2015 version.

dang look at those stats from Vick lol those are horrible. I was the biggest Vick fan too. I remember when he did throw for 200 yards that was like oh man he has it. Ryan throws for 200 yards a half lol

My only concern is LG.

LT - Matthews - He was pretty bad at times, but coupled with position change and injury, you can't have much of a negative outlook here.

LG - Massive, gaping hole.

C - Hawley - Pretty solid before injury

RG - Asomoah - Good all-around player

RT - Schraeder - Looked very good in the short time he played

Pretty on point. I'm not convinced we have a massive hole at it though, even plugging in Mike Person won't make it that bad. I'm less concerned about injuries this year too, it seems like this coaching staff is way better and conditioning in practices.

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 · 3h 3 hours ago

La'el Collins might be off the board but I think vet offensive tackle Joe Barksdale is still in play for the Falcons.

“We had offensive line on our mind through our draft preparation,” Dimitroff said. “The way that things landed for us, we decided that we were going with some of our other needs.”

The Falcons believe the offensive line will be much improved.

“We continue to believe that this offensive line has some really good football players and some upside that fit the scheme that we are going with,” Dimitroff said. “We are encouraged by that for sure. A lot of our guys are healing up very well and things are going to work out well that way.”

Hope he's right.....been saying that for how many yrs now

I can see our offense putting up better numbers with more passing yards but less rushing yards. Edited by Heavy Hitter

That was actually a darn good offensive line and probably the strength of that team. All of those guys had pretty darn long NFL careers. Weiner was the only FA and the highest drafted. They were well suited to the ZBS and played well together. If our line could come together, like those guys did, and stay healthy this offense would roll.

Edited by Sobeit

32nd ranked D, 8th ranked Offense. Quinn and company made the right choice. TD has invested to much on the offense over the years. Now it's time for them to step the F up.

My only issue was wasting a second round pick on a guy whose career consists of almost 1 of 3 games being benched for weed.

10 starts.

4 weed benchings.

Even without the weed, he only uad 10 starts.

10 starts.

I don't see a pothead having the self discipline to buckle down, man up, and cram 2 dozen college games wirth of experience into one productive training camp.

I think Collins is a wasted pick. There were so many other, better players at multiple positions on both sides of the ball we could have had.