So What, If Any Protection Should Be Afforded To Pamela Geller?

In my view, the only active measure we could take that would have any effect is to invade Iraq again and destroy ISIS. That would solve the immediate issue of ISIS, but it would be disastrous in the long run.

It sucks, but that's the predicament as I see it.

So since you find that solution abhorrent, what would you do if you were in charge? Allow them to kill and target Americans both abroad and now in our country without consequences? Not arguing with you, but I am always interested in hearing what people who disagree with one possible solution, that admittedly sometimes may have less than desirable consequences, would actually and realistically do to address a given problem, not with theoretical platitudes "We should use diplomacy and come to an understanding" type solutions, but how would you realistically handle such a crisis?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So since you find that solution abhorrent, what would you do if you were in charge? Allow them to kill and target Americans both abroad and now in our country without consequences? Not arguing with you, but I am always interested in hearing what people who disagree with one possible solution, that admittedly sometimes may have less than desirable consequences, would actually and realistically do to address a given problem, not with theoretical platitudes "We should use diplomacy and come to an understanding" type solutions, but how would you realistically handle such a crisis?

Who has Isis killed in our country?

And I'm not so sure it's a crisis. Acting rashly out of fear and anger rarely brings about positive change.

The mountain climbing pic is still on page 3. Snake's a lot of things, but I'm not sure he's a snitch. Now on the other hand if you post a pic of Steve, he'll definitely report it. I guess seeing what he actually looks like ruins his whole "I'm the same height and weight as Andre Johnson, and I can kill a cheetah with my bare hands" persona.

I thought it was posted on a later page and removed, my bad.

I'm not convinced DH is snake based on his posting style alone, so I have no clue if that's him or not.

Where pray tell did you get that idea?

James Foley, 40 -- Foley was an American journalist working for an online news site GlobalPost and went missing near the Syria-Turkey border in November 2012. He grew up in New Hampshire and became a teacher for the Teach for America program before deciding to pursue journalism. After graduating from Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism, he began his career as a war reporter. In a video interview with the Boston Globe, Foley discussed why he thought reporting in areas of war was essential.

Steven Sotloff, 31 -- Sotloff was the second U.S. journalist killed by ISIS, in September 2014. He was a freelance journalist who wrote for many publications such as theChristian Science Monitor and Time. Both a U.S and Israeli citizen, Sotloff had a strong interest in the Middle East. He studied Arabic in Yemen and reported in countries such as Egypt, Libya, and Syria. His work strived to show personal stories of people affected within areas of conflict.

Peter Kassig, 26 -- Kassig was a former U.S. Army Ranger serving in Iraq in 2007. He traveled to Lebanon a few years after his tour wanting to learn more about the Middle East. Kassig started SERA, Special Emergency Response and Assistance which gave Syrian refugees supplies such as propane fuel tanks and food, among other items. Kassig was killed in November 2014 in another graphic beheading by ISIS.

Kayla Mueller, 26-- Mueller was an Arizona native and dedicated her life to serving others. Her love of helping people started out at a young age when she volunteered for the Save Darfur Coalition as a teenager. Once Mueller graduated from Northern Arizona University, she began working as a humanitarian aid worker traveling across the world. In December 2012, she moved to the Turkish-Syrian border and began working with the Danish Refugee Council and the "Support to Life" humanitarian aid organization to help Syrian refugees. Mueller was taken hostage in August 2013 after leaving a Doctors Without Borders clinic in Aleppo, Syria.

I noticed that you conveniently left out all of the journalists, freelancers and contractors that were taken as they covered or supported US Military action.

I would do my best to develop human intelligence assets that could infiltrate ISIS. There's only so much we can learn from satillite, drones, and signal intercepts. We don't even have an understanding of their command structure so how would we even know where to bomb to kill the leadership?

But that's not a sexy option because it takes a long time and doesn't provide the satisfaction of seeing a hellfire missile from a drone explode and kill terrorists and God knows how many innocent people alike.

I would do my best to develop human intelligence assets that could infiltrate ISIS. There's only so much we can learn from satillite, drones, and signal intercepts. We don't even have an understanding of their command structure so how would we even know where to bomb to kill the leadership?

But that's not a sexy option because it takes a long time and doesn't provide the satisfaction of seeing a hellfire missile from a drone explode and kill terrorists and God knows how many innocent people alike.

I'd be willing to bet that they're working on that now, and have been for some time.

I'd be willing to bet that they're working on that now, and have been for some time.

I hope you're right, but I don't know. Human intelligence has fallen out of favor in recent years because of our reliance on technology. There's no substitute for an actual human spy on the inside, but a political toll has to be paid any time you intentionally put human lives in harm's way. That's why our politicians love drones so much.

I hope you're right, but I don't know. Human intelligence has fallen out of favor in recent years because of our reliance on technology. There's no substitute for an actual human spy on the inside, but a political toll has to be paid any time you intentionally put human lives in harm's way. That's why our politicians love drones so much.

The kicker there is, drone attacks are only as reliable as the intelligence gathered by humans to support the strikes.

Can somebody point out some success stories of America involvement in the Arab world?

Israel, smack dab in the middle of it is an oasis like non other in the middle east. It is a working democracy of arabs, jews, muslims, christians working side by side, day after day.

We need to stop pretending that we can end sectarian and tribal violence around the world. We also need to end the fallacy of thinking that we can just install western style democracies in places that have absolutely no historical reference for them. Iraq has always been divided strongly by tribal lines. No one has any Iraqi nationalism to speak of.

We could go in there and wipe out ISIS but it will only mean another radical group will take their place. We can't fix this with more war.

So intelligence operations like the CIA surveillance is equal to installing western democracy.

Drone strikes with better intelligence equals less collateral damage. I've go no problem investing more in both.

So intelligence operations like the CIA surveillance is equal to installing western democracy.

Drone strikes with better intelligence equals less collateral damage. I've go no problem investing more in both.

No. Invading Iraq and changing the regime is equal to installing western style democracy. Which is why we are dealing with ISIS now.

And drone strikes alone aren't going to do squat. With the collateral damage, we are going to create more Islamic radicals than we kill.

Because an extraordinary threat was made to her specifically. We are all as a whole under the same threat of foreign attack, I understand that, but in this instance she was singled out as a target, so why should she not be singled out for protection from that threat?

Do you think ISIS is kidding? Have they still not proved themselves bats**t crazy enough in their beliefs that you just don't find this to be a viable threat?

I'm resigned to watch the ship sink. We have raised a few generations of pc cowards who live in fairytale land. I'm not much into discussing it to much because it will undoubtedly turn into "So you are saying!!!!" Followed by something I didn't say. A foreign nation threatens to assassinate an American on American soil and our liberal majority says, no big deal not our problem.

I'm resigned to watch the ship sink. We have raised a few generations of pc cowards who live in fairytale land. I'm not much into discussing it to much because it will undoubtedly turn into "So you are saying!!!!" Followed by something I didn't say. A foreign nation threatens to assassinate an American on American soil and our liberal majority says, no big deal not our problem.

You're not even 30 yet (neither am I), you have no idea what kind of generations this country has raised. You are talking out of your rear end.

You're not even 30 yet (neither am I), you have no idea what kind of generations this country has raised. You are talking out of your rear end.

Look at the generations leading up and during Wwii then look at the following generations. Do you honestly think this generation of Americans would stomach Wwii? The draft? Do They care enough about the well-being of someone outside their top 5 on their phone? Probably not. They are too busy selfying. They literally watch other people get jumped, attacked, etc. And instead of helping they record and laugh at them in their phone followed by a YouTube post. Do you think they would really care that Poland was swallowed up? Nah probably not. And that isn't even considering the media debacle that would ensue. Edited by Worzone

History has whittled the greatest generation down to the war heroes we in movies or on the history channel. The media wasn't around to show all of the raging alcoholic wife beaters from that generation, or the pre-civil rights act reality of our country.

If you look at my posts, I'm the first to say our generation is bad, but "the greatest generation" probably wasn't as great as the pictures make them out to be.

History has whittled the greatest generation down to the war heroes we in movies or on the history channel. The media wasn't around to show all of the raging alcoholic wife beaters from that generation, or the pre-civil rights act reality of our country.

If you look at my posts, I'm the first to say our generation is bad, but "the greatest generation" probably wasn't as great as the pictures make them out to be.

Not trying to romanticize them. Do you think this generation who has been pampered and encouraged to be self absorbed. The nation where large segments stomp,burn, and spit on their own flag. A large part won't pledge allegiance to the flag. Do you think they would fight for it and others that they have no connection too? I tell ya from my vantage I don't see it. Edited by Worzone

Not trying to romanticize them. Do you think this generation who has been pampered and encouraged to be self absorbed. The nation where large segments stomp,burn, and spit on their own flag. A large part won't pledge allegiance to the flag. Do you think they would fight for it and others that they have no connection too? I tell ya from my vantage I don't see it.

Large segments of the population deface the flag? Quit reading your stupid blogs and go out into the real world. :rolleyes:

Also, the "greatest generation" didn't pledge allegiance to the flag.

Not trying to romanticize them. Do you think this generation who has been pampered and encouraged to be self absorbed. The nation where large segments stomp,burn, and spit on their own flag. A large part won't pledge allegiance to the flag. Do you think they would fight for it and others that they have no connection too? I tell ya from my vantage I don't see it.

You believe whatever the media tells you. I guarantee you there are not "large segments of the population" defacing flags.