So What, If Any Protection Should Be Afforded To Pamela Geller?

How are they working on the details? Bombing? A phantom coalition?

You left out the declaration of war. Declare war, and then actually fight the war. Or do you think they can be negotiated with? Not a gotcha question, do you see that as a viable option for dealing with them?

Yes, bombing and a coalition. That's what the people who make these decisions have determined to be the best course of action. You want us to declare war on a terrorist group (even when we've been living under the 'War on Terror' for over a decade) that has no state, just so we can trumpet our meaningless declaration? Isn't bombing someone a kind of declaration of war?

You seem to be asking for some kind of PR special against ISIS, even though we're engaged in the kinds of things you're asking for. It seems silly, and a waste of time.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, bombing and a coalition. That's what the people who make these decisions have determined to be the best course of action. You want us to declare war on a terrorist group (even when we've been living under the 'War on Terror' for over a decade) that has no state, just so we can trumpet our meaningless declaration? Isn't bombing someone a kind of declaration of war?

You seem to be asking for some kind of PR special against ISIS, even though we're engaged in the kinds of things you're asking for. It seems silly, and a waste of time.

I'm not going to be drawn into a President Obama bashing rant, I'm not saying that is what you're trying to do, but c'mon:

That's what the people who make these decisions have determined to be the best course of action.

Its right there. I'm trying to say the present course of action, by almost all accounts simply is not working. If we are to defeat them, we must push the initiative. The bombing as I said through several links above are not effective. This 60 country coalition is on paper only, and it is our citizenry receiving death threats. Are you alright with allowing that to stand? Do you think it will stop there? Can we negotiate a workable understanding with ISIS?

You're not bashing, so I appreciate that, but overall you are limiting your posts to responding to what I believe. What do you think, are you okay with the status quo in how we are dealing with this group?

I'm not gonna suspend you, but I am giving you a warning for this. If he asks a question that offends you or seems unnecessary, simply don't answer it. The ignore button is a marvelous thing.

I responded in a similar fashion later in this same thread, just so its out there, if I don't get banned for that one, then I'll try not to repeat.

You've always been good at respecting others, even when there's a vehement disagreement. I have no doubt that it won't be an issue.

10+ years and that is my first warning point. I feel like I've finally visited the principal's office. I read it though, cool response to it. I appreciate the kind words.

I'm not going to be drawn into a President Obama bashing rant, I'm not saying that is what you're trying to do, but c'mon:

That's what the people who make these decisions have determined to be the best course of action.

Its right there. I'm trying to say the present course of action, by almost all accounts simply is not working. If we are to defeat them, we must push the initiative. The bombing as I said through several links above are not effective. This 60 country coalition is on paper only, and it is our citizenry receiving death threats. Are you alright with allowing that to stand? Do you think it will stop there? Can we negotiate a workable understanding with ISIS?

You're not bashing, so I appreciate that, but overall you are limiting your posts to responding to what I believe. What do you think, are you okay with the status quo in how we are dealing with this group?

It seems that you're suggesting that we need to 'declare war' (whatever that means in this case) any time any non-American person or group threatens American citizens. Is that accurate? If so, I believe that to be terrible foreign policy.

I think the status quo is fine. The countries in which ISIS currently resides are the people who need to be handling them. Every single time we enter another country in the manner you're suggesting, we end up as the only viable peacekeeper in a nation that wants us to leave. The only lasting solution is one that is determined the the parties involved in the conflict. I don't think that murdering a few US citizens, and threatening another US citizen (who was apparently BEGGING to be threatened) justifies entering yet another endless conflict in an area that wants nothing to do with our help.

How many time do we have to screw up in order for you to learn this lesson?

These Islamic Jihadists are the enemy and they have all the freedom in the world to commit millions to Sharia law, honor killings and all out war on decency and many on this board protect them vociferously. You then turn around and attack conservatives as though there is NO freedom of there expression or you lampoon the very idea of protecting the innocent here or abroad. This GUY IS THE ENEMY. 2b9d13c755imam.jpg

It seems that you're suggesting that we need to 'declare war' (whatever that means in this case) any time any non-American person or group threatens American citizens. Is that accurate? If so, I believe that to be terrible foreign policy.

I think the status quo is fine. The countries in which ISIS currently resides are the people who need to be handling them. Every single time we enter another country in the manner you're suggesting, we end up as the only viable peacekeeper in a nation that wants us to leave. The only lasting solution is one that is determined the the parties involved in the conflict. I don't think that murdering a few US citizens, and threatening another US citizen (who was apparently BEGGING to be threatened) justifies entering yet another endless conflict in an area that wants nothing to do with our help.

How many time do we have to screw up in order for you to learn this lesson?

So how many is too many? They've only murdered a few US citizens so far, so at what number do we say that's enough? The number should be one, but I have no doubt that you're right.

Nothing will be done, the bombing and coalition platitudes will continue, our borders will remain as porous as ever (I hate to even go into that). ISIS will continue to grow and spread and become more emboldened, and the inevitable will happen again.

Seriously, I think you're right

That is exactly how I am characterizing it in this instance: Geller should be protected (shielded from) a foreign terrorist army attempting to deny through threat of death her right to say what she believes on our own soil. This is just as you have described it.

The only entity the 1st amendment shields you from is the federal government, and, when extended through the 14th amendment, state and local governments. It does not shield you from any other entity trying to restrict speech, whether it be a terrorist group, another country, a business, or a message board of a NFL team.

The government has no duty to protect her right to say dumb **** because a terrorist organization has threatened her. The government does have a duty to protect the entire country from terrorist cells operating on US soil. They are a danger to all of us no matter the reason, be it our speech, our obese and sedentary lifestyle, or the Kardashians.

10+ years and that is my first warning point. I feel like I've finally visited the principal's office. I read it though, cool response to it. I appreciate the kind words.

I have not weighed in on this whole thing, but I feel the need to say something to everyone on the boards.

Wash the sand out of your cooters and look at context and history before hitting the "Report" link. Bob has been one of the best posters on this forum for many years now. By "best", I mean that he engages in legitimate discussion with people instead of trolling with platitudes and nonsense. I often disagree with his posts, and I often see logical flaws in his arguments. But he makes arguments and engages in discussion, which is more than we can say for a lot of people around here.

Did he do something that was technically a CoC violation? Yeah. But I think after all of these years, he's earned a couple of passes for the occasional out-of-bounds posts. I'm glad that Monoxide understood the history and context here. It would have been a major loss for the boards if he had been suspended, let alone banned, for those posts.

So Bob, carry on, even if you're wrong a lot. Monoxide, thanks for having a level head and handling the situation appropriately instead of just swinging the ban hammer. To everyone on the boards, we ought to look after the good ones (even when they occasionally step out of bounds) and our time is better spent reporting the trolls around here.

These Islamic Jihadists are the enemy and they have all the freedom in the world to commit millions to Sharia law, honor killings and all out war on decency and many on this board protect them vociferously. You then turn around and attack conservatives as though there is NO freedom of there expression or you lampoon the very idea of protecting the innocent here or abroad. This GUY IS THE ENEMY. 2b9d13c755imam.jpg

Thank God that GREAT AMERICAN® Sean Hannity® gives our EMENY a huge platform to spread his hatred!

So how many is too many? They've only murdered a few US citizens so far, so at what number do we say that's enough? The number should be one, but I have no doubt that you're right.

Nothing will be done, the bombing and coalition platitudes will continue, our borders will remain as porous as ever (I hate to even go into that). ISIS will continue to grow and spread and become more emboldened, and the inevitable will happen again.

Seriously, I think you're right

How many is too many for what? Bombings?

So if a group kills one American you're cool with sending soldiers to a place where they're not wanted to attack that group, because bombing them isn't enough?

And what's 'the inevitable'?

Your whole tact here seems very ill informed, paranoid, and lacking in any real substance other than committing the same mistake over and over again because we're uncomfortable with the idea that there are people out there who hate us. It just seems ridiculous.

I never did get a response on whether the government was obligated to protect the WBC.

What foreign armies have threatened and pledged to kill them?

They should be and are allowed to protest whatever event they want, just as counter protesters can and should be there to shout them down and stand in front of them. Their rights are protected, so I don't see the point you're trying to make.

If someone tries to physically harm them, then yea, that person should be the one arrested.

I have not weighed in on this whole thing, but I feel the need to say something to everyone on the boards.

Wash the sand out of your cooters and look at context and history before hitting the "Report" link. Bob has been one of the best posters on this forum for many years now. By "best", I mean that he engages in legitimate discussion with people instead of trolling with platitudes and nonsense. I often disagree with his posts, and I often see logical flaws in his arguments. But he makes arguments and engages in discussion, which is more than we can say for a lot of people around here.

Did he do something that was technically a CoC violation? Yeah. But I think after all of these years, he's earned a couple of passes for the occasional out-of-bounds posts. I'm glad that Monoxide understood the history and context here. It would have been a major loss for the boards if he had been suspended, let alone banned, for those posts.

So Bob, carry on, even if you're wrong a lot. Monoxide, thanks for having a level head and handling the situation appropriately instead of just swinging the ban hammer. To everyone on the boards, we ought to look after the good ones (even when they occasionally step out of bounds) and our time is better spent reporting the trolls around here.

I didn't report him, but I called him out on it in this thread, as I would expect any of you to do to me if I lost my cool like that. We can hash those things out amongst ourselves, usually. Sometimes. Every once in a while . . .

You get the drift.

20121113-092120.jpg

Also I get the point gafan was making precisely because I have served. The decision to mobilize troops is something that affects the lives of many people who voluntarily signed up to protect us. Many don't ever come home. It's not something that should be taken lightly, especially over this idiot.

Exactly. We still have people here struggling after the last war against a terrorist group. That group is still around terrorizing people. Declaring war and putting boots on the ground does not protect Americans and only puts us into debt and destroys lives. The OP just wants us to sacrifice lives for some dumb bint because it makes him feel safe. If he wanted us to go after the sleeper cells in American soil, then every one would agree, but we do not protect that twat or any other Americans by fighting ISIS in Iraq and Syria. ISIS gets solved when the Iraqi people step up to eradicate them.

Also thanks Mono. Normally I would stoop to the level of the OP, but with how good posters have been getting banned for responding for that exact same behavior. I also waited til you were the mod on, because I know you will handle it without banning posters. We all get sand in our vag some times. Hope the OP learns from this.

I didn't report him, but I called him out on it in this thread, as I would expect any of you to do to me if I lost my cool like that. We can hash those things out amongst ourselves, usually. Sometimes. Every once in a while . . .

You get the drift.

Which is fine. I was talking about immediately rushing to report as the first option.

Exactly. We still have people here struggling after the last war against a terrorist group. That group is still around terrorizing people. Declaring war and putting boots on the ground does not protect Americans and only puts us into debt and destroys lives. The OP just wants us to sacrifice lives for some dumb bint because it makes him feel safe. If he wanted us to go after the sleeper cells in American soil, then every one would agree, but we do not protect that twat or any other Americans by fighting ISIS in Iraq and Syria. ISIS gets solved when the Iraqi people step up to eradicate them.

Also thanks Mono. Normally I would stoop to the level of the OP, but with how good posters have been getting banned for responding for that exact same behavior. I also waited til you were the mod on, because I know you will handle it without banning posters. We all get sand in our vag some times. Hope the OP learns from this.

Wow, taunting from behind someone's skirt seems just as badazz on a messageboard as it would on a playground.

Get your one more shot in, then put me on ignore. I'll extend the same courtesy.

Thank God that GREAT AMERICAN® Sean Hannity® gives our EMENY a huge platform to spread his hatred!

I am glad to Hear what vermon like this say because the media is all to focused on forming our opinions. Let the fools spout out so we can still identify them. Hearing this man's true hate, vial speech is like going back 80 years and hearing Hitler speak. We didn't pay attention then and it looks like the Neville Chamberlain's are at it again. History continually repeats itself.

Which is fine. I was talking about immediately rushing to report as the first option.

I didn't report him til after his third childish response. I have always used reported response as a joke. If I had rushed to report him, then tuggle would have dropped the banhammer because he was the only mod on.

What foreign armies have threatened and pledged to kill them?

They should be and are allowed to protest whatever event they want, just as counter protesters can and should be there to shout them down and stand in front of them. Their rights are protected, so I don't see the point you're trying to make.

If someone tries to physically harm them, then yea, that person should be the one arrested.

Point being they get death threats, even ones directed at their kids, and no one's calling for their defense, much hunting down those responsible for making each and every threat, because they're putting a target on their backs and profiting from the outrage that they created. That's exactly what Geller did with this contest, and the death threat from ISIS is almost certainly what she wanted.

Edited by Serge